PDA

View Full Version : WWI Lozenge Camouflage Scheme

nafod40
August 19th 03, 04:24 PM
I've been researching the lozenge camouflage scheme, as I am making a
computer workbench, and just for kicks thought I would make it look like
the top of a biplane wing (looking good too). I stumbled onto this company
in my search...

http://www.avcloth.com/

They sell the covering in ceconite, which got me to thinking about covering
my Hatz in the year 2020 when I finally finish it. Anybody deal with them
before? Cool looking stuff.

Mike

Corrie
August 19th 03, 09:49 PM
nafod40 > wrote in message >...
> I've been researching the lozenge camouflage scheme, as I am making a
> computer workbench, and just for kicks thought I would make it look like
> the top of a biplane wing (looking good too). I stumbled onto this company
> in my search...
>
> http://www.avcloth.com/
>
> They sell the covering in ceconite, which got me to thinking about covering
> my Hatz in the year 2020 when I finally finish it. Anybody deal with them
> before? Cool looking stuff.
>
> Mike

I saw a photo of a FlyBaby in lozenge, but IIRC it was hand-painted.
re Cenconite in general; there are lots of references online.

Ron Wanttaja
August 20th 03, 03:13 AM
On 19 Aug 2003 13:49:22 -0700, (Corrie) wrote:

>nafod40 > wrote in message >...
>> I've been researching the lozenge camouflage scheme, as I am making a
>> computer workbench, and just for kicks thought I would make it look like
>> the top of a biplane wing (looking good too). I stumbled onto this company
>> in my search...
>>
>> http://www.avcloth.com/

Thanks for the reference! A real short cut....

>I saw a photo of a FlyBaby in lozenge, but IIRC it was hand-painted.

http://www.wanttaja.com/flybaby/junkers.htm

Ron Wanttaja

nafod40
August 20th 03, 12:59 PM
Ed Wischmeyer wrote:

>> > I've been researching the lozenge camouflage scheme, as I am making
>> > a computer workbench, and just for kicks thought I would make it
>> > look like the top of a biplane wing (looking good too). I stumbled
>> > onto this company in my search...
>
> IIRC, the originals were hand painted in an irregular pattern. The
> woven stuff probably would be regular, and you might have matching
> across seams to deal with... if you care about such things.

Well, now that I'm a lozenge camouflage expert, or at least know more than
I ever thought I would via google...

They (the Germans) started out handpainting, but quickly moved to printed
fabric, as it was much lighter and way easier. They had a different
coloration for the top and bottom wings too, with dark on top and light on
the bottom.

I'm not up to speed on covering of aircraft with fabric. Wouldn't using a
patterned ceconite mean you couldn't paint it? So the UV would act on it
quickly?

Google