PDA

View Full Version : Boaters are nuts

Jay Honeck
July 9th 07, 05:39 AM
We spent the Fourth of July with friends who keep a yacht on Lake
Michigan. It gets 1 mile per gallon, carries several hundred gallons
of fuel, and is worth almost $400K.

We were sitting at the dock, sipping a cold one, and my friend pointed
out that most of the boats never, EVER leave the dock. One in
particular -- a VERY sleek job that looked like it was going 100 mph
standing still, but was still a cabin-class yacht -- had just been
purchased for $1.7 million dollars this past spring.

The new owners had a zillion wet towels hanging from the railings to
dry, so it looked like crap. My buddy said he's never seen it leave
dock.

For $1.7 million, that guy could have bought himself a nice used
Citation, and paid a pilot to fly him anywhere in the world for the
next five years. He could have actually gone places and seen things,
but instead he gets pickled every weekend aboard a floating bar that
never sails.

Meanwhile, people think flying is expensive. I guess I'll never
understand some people.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Thomas Borchert
July 9th 07, 08:44 AM
Jay,

> Meanwhile, people think flying is expensive. I guess I'll never
> understand some people.

Have you ever seen any bikini babes hang out at the local airport?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Martin Hotze
July 9th 07, 10:24 AM
Jay Honeck schrieb:

> For $1.7 million, that guy could have bought himself a nice used
> Citation, and paid a pilot to fly him anywhere in the world for the
> next five years. He could have actually gone places and seen things,
> but instead he gets pickled every weekend aboard a floating bar that
> never sails.

My guess is that he already has the Citation (plus many other toys).

#m
--
I am not a terrorist <http://www.casualdisobedience.com/>

tom418
July 9th 07, 01:59 PM
Yes, but Jay, the boater can shut down his engine(s) while away from shore.
We can't. :)
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> We spent the Fourth of July with friends who keep a yacht on Lake
> Michigan. It gets 1 mile per gallon, carries several hundred gallons
> of fuel, and is worth almost $400K.
>
> We were sitting at the dock, sipping a cold one, and my friend pointed
> out that most of the boats never, EVER leave the dock. One in
> particular -- a VERY sleek job that looked like it was going 100 mph
> standing still, but was still a cabin-class yacht -- had just been
> purchased for $1.7 million dollars this past spring.
>
> The new owners had a zillion wet towels hanging from the railings to
> dry, so it looked like crap. My buddy said he's never seen it leave
> dock.
>
> For $1.7 million, that guy could have bought himself a nice used
> Citation, and paid a pilot to fly him anywhere in the world for the
> next five years. He could have actually gone places and seen things,
> but instead he gets pickled every weekend aboard a floating bar that
> never sails.
>
> Meanwhile, people think flying is expensive. I guess I'll never
> understand some people.
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

July 9th 07, 02:26 PM
On Jul 9, 9:44 am, Thomas Borchert >
wrote:
> Jay,
>
> > Meanwhile, people think flying is expensive. I guess I'll never
> > understand some people.
>
> Have you ever seen any bikini babes hang out at the local airport?
>
> --
> Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Does being in the pattern at Le Touqet or Quiberon count?

-Kees

Matt Barrow[_4_]
July 9th 07, 02:31 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> We spent the Fourth of July with friends who keep a yacht on Lake
> Michigan. It gets 1 mile per gallon, carries several hundred gallons
> of fuel, and is worth almost $400K.
>
> We were sitting at the dock, sipping a cold one, and my friend pointed
> out that most of the boats never, EVER leave the dock. One in
> particular -- a VERY sleek job that looked like it was going 100 mph
> standing still, but was still a cabin-class yacht -- had just been
> purchased for $1.7 million dollars this past spring.
>
> The new owners had a zillion wet towels hanging from the railings to
> dry, so it looked like crap. My buddy said he's never seen it leave
> dock.
>
> For $1.7 million, that guy could have bought himself a nice used
> Citation, and paid a pilot to fly him anywhere in the world for the
> next five years. He could have actually gone places and seen things,
> but instead he gets pickled every weekend aboard a floating bar that
> never sails.
>
> Meanwhile, people think flying is expensive. I guess I'll never
> understand some people.

Musta been retired Navy.

--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC.

Matt Barrow[_4_]
July 9th 07, 02:34 PM
> wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Jul 9, 9:44 am, Thomas Borchert >
> wrote:
>> Jay,
>>
>> > Meanwhile, people think flying is expensive. I guess I'll never
>> > understand some people.
>>
>> Have you ever seen any bikini babes hang out at the local airport?

Quite. Babe magnet!

Analogously speaking, it's like the guy with the Turbo Carerra or some such:
ever see anyone with a really expensive sports car who didn't drive like
crap?

Peter Dohm
July 9th 07, 02:45 PM

> Analogously speaking, it's like the guy with the Turbo Carerra or some
such:
> ever see anyone with a really expensive sports car who didn't drive like
> crap?

Actually, yes, plenty of them.

BTW, most are far more expensive than a Porsche.

Peter

Dave[_1_]
July 9th 07, 02:47 PM
Hehe..

Seen this many times..

Ours is not a "Dock Queen" ... lotsa "nautical" miles under it's
keel...

Have faith... some of us are not very "green"

......burning av and marine gas WAY out of proportion to what we
should be..

VRRRROOOOOOOM! :)

Dave

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 21:39:25 -0700, Jay Honeck >
wrote:

>We spent the Fourth of July with friends who keep a yacht on Lake
>Michigan. It gets 1 mile per gallon, carries several hundred gallons
>of fuel, and is worth almost $400K.
>
>We were sitting at the dock, sipping a cold one, and my friend pointed
>out that most of the boats never, EVER leave the dock. One in
>particular -- a VERY sleek job that looked like it was going 100 mph
>standing still, but was still a cabin-class yacht -- had just been
>purchased for $1.7 million dollars this past spring.
>
>The new owners had a zillion wet towels hanging from the railings to
>dry, so it looked like crap. My buddy said he's never seen it leave
>dock.
>
>For $1.7 million, that guy could have bought himself a nice used
>Citation, and paid a pilot to fly him anywhere in the world for the
>next five years. He could have actually gone places and seen things,
>but instead he gets pickled every weekend aboard a floating bar that
>never sails.
>
>Meanwhile, people think flying is expensive. I guess I'll never
>understand some people.

Peter Dohm
July 9th 07, 02:56 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> We spent the Fourth of July with friends who keep a yacht on Lake
> Michigan. It gets 1 mile per gallon, carries several hundred gallons
> of fuel, and is worth almost $400K.
>
> We were sitting at the dock, sipping a cold one, and my friend pointed
> out that most of the boats never, EVER leave the dock. One in
> particular -- a VERY sleek job that looked like it was going 100 mph
> standing still, but was still a cabin-class yacht -- had just been
> purchased for $1.7 million dollars this past spring.
>
> The new owners had a zillion wet towels hanging from the railings to
> dry, so it looked like crap. My buddy said he's never seen it leave
> dock.
>
> For $1.7 million, that guy could have bought himself a nice used
> Citation, and paid a pilot to fly him anywhere in the world for the
> next five years. He could have actually gone places and seen things,
> but instead he gets pickled every weekend aboard a floating bar that
> never sails.
>
> Meanwhile, people think flying is expensive. I guess I'll never
> understand some people.
> --
Perhaps, he's out riding around in his new jet.

Most of the really expensive boats and homes are used a couple of times a
year--and sometimes briefly at that--athough 1.7 million is admittedly near
the low end of that price range.

Peter

Matt Barrow[_4_]
July 9th 07, 03:03 PM
"Peter Dohm" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Analogously speaking, it's like the guy with the Turbo Carerra or some
> such:
>> ever see anyone with a really expensive sports car who didn't drive like
>> crap?
>>

> Actually, yes, plenty of them.

What do you consider a good sports car driver?

> BTW, most are far more expensive than a Porsche.

I used to hang around in Scottsdale quite a bit which has more Ferarri's
than even Southern Cal; I'd dispute that claim.

Oh, and I've been to the Bondurant classes three times, so I _kinda_ do know
what I'm talking about.

Matt Barrow[_4_]
July 9th 07, 03:44 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> We spent the Fourth of July with friends who keep a yacht on Lake
> Michigan. It gets 1 mile per gallon, carries several hundred gallons
> of fuel, and is worth almost $400K.
>
> We were sitting at the dock, sipping a cold one, and my friend pointed
> out that most of the boats never, EVER leave the dock. One in
> particular -- a VERY sleek job that looked like it was going 100 mph
> standing still, but was still a cabin-class yacht -- had just been
> purchased for $1.7 million dollars this past spring.
>
> The new owners had a zillion wet towels hanging from the railings to
> dry, so it looked like crap. My buddy said he's never seen it leave
> dock.
>
> For $1.7 million, that guy could have bought himself a nice used
> Citation, and paid a pilot to fly him anywhere in the world for the
> next five years. He could have actually gone places and seen things,
> but instead he gets pickled every weekend aboard a floating bar that
> never sails.
>
> Meanwhile, people think flying is expensive. I guess I'll never
> understand some people.

Must be retired Navy :~)

Gatt
July 9th 07, 04:10 PM
"Thomas Borchert" > wrote in message
> Jay,
>
>> Meanwhile, people think flying is expensive. I guess I'll never
>> understand some people.
>>

> Have you ever seen any bikini babes hang out at the local airport?

Seriously. The thing about a boat is, you can pull up alongside some island
in the lake or river somewhere, toss your anchor overboard and relax. My
boat didn't earn the nickname "Hooterville Cannonball" for nothin'...
Dollar for dollar and hour for hour, my ol' runabout definately rivals what
I pay for flying in entertainment value.

It is a shame to see these magnificant yachts and cruisers just sitting
dockside growing moss year after year, though.

-c

Kingfish
July 9th 07, 04:48 PM
On Jul 9, 12:39 am, Jay Honeck > wrote:

> We were sitting at the dock, sipping a cold one, and my friend pointed
> out that most of the boats never, EVER leave the dock.

When I worked at a regional airport in Operations, I noticed that
probably 75% of light GA based at the field fly just a handful of
times a year, if at all. The same percentage applies to boats - I've
had my boat in 3 different marinas and it's always the same folks out
using their boat while the rest never leave the slip. Seems like a lot
of money to have tied up in a toy you never use IMHO.

> For $1.7 million, that guy could have bought himself a nice used
> Citation, and paid a pilot to fly him anywhere in the world for the
> next five years. He could have actually gone places and seen things,
> but instead he gets pickled every weekend aboard a floating bar that
> never sails.

For $1.7 million, that guy coulda bought a lot of things I 'spose...
But, like other posters have mentioned, he might already have an
airplane

> Meanwhile, people think flying is expensive. I guess I'll never
> understand some people.

I always thought flying was expensive, even when 100LL cost $2/gallon
<sigh>

Ken Finney
July 9th 07, 05:35 PM
"Gatt" > wrote in message

> "Thomas Borchert" > wrote in message
>> Jay,
>>
>>> Meanwhile, people think flying is expensive. I guess I'll never
>>> understand some people.
>>>

>> Have you ever seen any bikini babes hang out at the local airport?
>
> Seriously. The thing about a boat is, you can pull up alongside some
> island in the lake or river somewhere, toss your anchor overboard and
> relax. My boat didn't earn the nickname "Hooterville Cannonball" for
> nothin'... Dollar for dollar and hour for hour, my ol' runabout definately
> rivals what I pay for flying in entertainment value.
>
> It is a shame to see these magnificant yachts and cruisers just sitting
> dockside growing moss year after year, though.

In the old Disney movie "The Boatniks", Wally Cox was the rich guy whose
boat never left the marina. When asked why not, he replied that it
couldn't, because he'd replaced the engines with a wine cellar...

;^)

bdl
July 9th 07, 06:16 PM
On Jul 8, 11:39 pm, Jay Honeck > wrote:
> For $1.7 million, that guy could have bought himself a nice used
> Citation, and paid a pilot to fly him anywhere in the world for the
> next five years. He could have actually gone places and seen things,
> but instead he gets pickled every weekend aboard a floating bar that
> never sails.

He probably didn't pay cash, he financed it.. 20, 30, 40 year loans,
and if you live on it 2 weeks a year its a second home. So he has a
boat, with no cash flow to take it anywhere.

What I don't understand is why we don't see more "partnership
arrangements" like you see with aircraft ownership. Stick a hobbs
meter on the engine (most have one already) and pay a fixed plus
hourly cost. Trade weeks, etc.

My father owns a boat, and he's on it at most every OTHER weekend.

Gatt
July 9th 07, 06:20 PM
"Ken Finney" > wrote in message

>> It is a shame to see these magnificant yachts and cruisers just sitting
>> dockside growing moss year after year, though.
>>
> In the old Disney movie "The Boatniks", Wally Cox was the rich guy whose
> boat never left the marina. When asked why not, he replied that it
> couldn't, because he'd replaced the engines with a wine cellar...

Ha! Is that so wrong?

A friend of mine has a 1950s 44' ketch onced owned and raced by the Disney
family. He got tired of the big city, perpetual gray skies, ignorant river
traffic and the World and decided to sail from Portland off to Tahiti or
somewhere. Got as far as Santa Barbara. Dropped anchor, got a job.

Now he's tied off to a mooring bouy, paddles his dinghy to his old jeep each
morning and then heads off to some programming job. Making Los Angeles
scale, already paid off his boat and he has no housing fees. When he wants
seafood or crab or whatever, he simple dives over the side with his
spearpole and follows the anchor line down.

I often wonder why I didn't think of that. My wife will readily
answer -that- question. :>

-c

Matt Barrow[_4_]
July 9th 07, 06:38 PM
"bdl" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jul 8, 11:39 pm, Jay Honeck > wrote:
>> For $1.7 million, that guy could have bought himself a nice used
>> Citation, and paid a pilot to fly him anywhere in the world for the
>> next five years. He could have actually gone places and seen things,
>> but instead he gets pickled every weekend aboard a floating bar that
>> never sails.
>
> He probably didn't pay cash, he financed it.. 20, 30, 40 year loans,
> and if you live on it 2 weeks a year its a second home. So he has a
> boat, with no cash flow to take it anywhere.

So he was up the creek without a paddle?

Gatt
July 9th 07, 08:28 PM
"bdl" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> What I don't understand is why we don't see more "partnership
> arrangements" like you see with aircraft ownership. Stick a hobbs
> meter on the engine (most have one already) and pay a fixed plus hourly
> cost. Trade weeks, etc.
>
> My father owns a boat, and he's on it at most every OTHER weekend.

Boat owners fancy themselves the Captains of their ship, and practically
have seizures at the idea of somebody else doing it. Hell...sharing one
girl is as bad as sharing the other. (But the boat doesn't mind how many
other girls you have or how many you bring onboard and, in fact, will
actually help you get girls. Reasons #4160-4162 why boats are cooler than
women. ;>)

-c

Ross
July 9th 07, 09:42 PM
Thomas Borchert wrote:
> Jay,
>

>>Meanwhile, people think flying is expensive. I guess I'll never
>>understand some people.
>>

> Have you ever seen any bikini babes hang out at the local airport?

I did once. A guy flew in to our airport refuel a C-206 on amphibs and
he jumped out and 3 bikini young ladies followed. There is a 84,000 acre
lake ( well now it is probably 110,000 acres due to the flooding) just
north of us.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

Kingfish
July 10th 07, 12:05 AM
On Jul 9, 2:28 pm, "Gatt" > wrote:

> Boat owners fancy themselves the Captains of their ship, and practically
> have seizures at the idea of somebody else doing it.

And airplane owners are different?

Gatt
July 10th 07, 12:31 AM
"Kingfish" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jul 9, 2:28 pm, "Gatt" > wrote:
>
>> Boat owners fancy themselves the Captains of their ship, and practically
>> have seizures at the idea of somebody else doing it.
>
> And airplane owners are different?

Probably not, but I can't think of any boat partnerships or
partial-ownership. The yacht clubs are usually BYOY.

-c

Morgans[_2_]
July 10th 07, 01:40 AM
"Gatt" > wrote

> Probably not, but I can't think of any boat partnerships or
> partial-ownership. The yacht clubs are usually BYOY.

I actually have known about a couple boat partnerships with large sailboats.
--
Jim in NC

Aluckyguess
July 10th 07, 04:30 AM
I am sure he has a plane also.
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> We spent the Fourth of July with friends who keep a yacht on Lake
> Michigan. It gets 1 mile per gallon, carries several hundred gallons
> of fuel, and is worth almost $400K.
>
> We were sitting at the dock, sipping a cold one, and my friend pointed
> out that most of the boats never, EVER leave the dock. One in
> particular -- a VERY sleek job that looked like it was going 100 mph
> standing still, but was still a cabin-class yacht -- had just been
> purchased for $1.7 million dollars this past spring.
>
> The new owners had a zillion wet towels hanging from the railings to
> dry, so it looked like crap. My buddy said he's never seen it leave
> dock.
>
> For $1.7 million, that guy could have bought himself a nice used
> Citation, and paid a pilot to fly him anywhere in the world for the
> next five years. He could have actually gone places and seen things,
> but instead he gets pickled every weekend aboard a floating bar that
> never sails.
>
> Meanwhile, people think flying is expensive. I guess I'll never
> understand some people.
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Dylan Smith
July 10th 07, 09:52 AM
On 2007-07-09, tom418 > wrote:
> Yes, but Jay, the boater can shut down his engine(s) while away from shore.
> We can't. :)

I dunno, I flew for an hour and a half on Sunday with no engine :-)

Dylan Smith
July 10th 07, 09:54 AM
On 2007-07-09, bdl > wrote:
> My father owns a boat, and he's on it at most every OTHER weekend.

My dad owns a boat too, and we WOULD be out on it every weekend if we
didn't have to pull the engine out to have the bottom end overhauled!
Hopefully it'll be ready to go again by August...

B A R R Y[_2_]
July 10th 07, 12:30 PM
Morgans wrote:

> "Gatt" > wrote
>> Probably not, but I can't think of any boat partnerships or
>> partial-ownership. The yacht clubs are usually BYOY.
>
> I actually have known about a couple boat partnerships with large
> sailboats.

Same here, and still do, but they are powered.

In fact, my Beech co-owner is also co-owner of a boat and his business.

The boat and business were positive factors in me buying the plane with
him, as his other partners had already "broken him in". <G> Since
partnerships are more about the people than the item...

I also know folks who have happily shared vacation homes, season tickets
for major league sports, etc... for many years.

Matt Barrow[_4_]
July 10th 07, 02:55 PM
"Kingfish" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jul 9, 2:28 pm, "Gatt" > wrote:
>
>> Boat owners fancy themselves the Captains of their ship, and practically
>> have seizures at the idea of somebody else doing it.
>
> And airplane owners are different?

I get nervous when passengers reach towards the panel.

{Touch that and I breaka you fingers}

Gatt
July 10th 07, 08:27 PM
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "Gatt" > wrote
>> Probably not, but I can't think of any boat partnerships or
>> partial-ownership. The yacht clubs are usually BYOY.
>
> I actually have known about a couple boat partnerships with large
> sailboats.

That's good to know. Not so many with smaller boats and runabouts, I bet,
as you'd find with C-172s, etc.

-c

Gatt
July 10th 07, 08:28 PM
"Dylan Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2007-07-09, bdl > wrote:
>> My father owns a boat, and he's on it at most every OTHER weekend.
>
> My dad owns a boat too, and we WOULD be out on it every weekend if we
> didn't have to pull the engine out to have the bottom end overhauled!
> Hopefully it'll be ready to go again by August...

That's what I need to do with mine. The problem is, I keep blowing my
boat money drilling holes in the sky.

Plus, airplanes get better mileage. 8gph @ 30 mph, in my opinion, supports
terrorism. :>
-c

rotor&wing
July 10th 07, 11:35 PM
[...]

with people such as yourself mr. honeck it just boils down to this:

wealth envy

(btw, i own a yacht, a plane and a helicopter. i'm sure you can find something wrong with that)

Kloudy via AviationKB.com
July 11th 07, 12:08 AM
Dylan Smith wrote:
>> Yes, but Jay, the boater can shut down his engine(s) while away from shore.
>> We can't. :)
>
>I dunno, I flew for an hour and a half on Sunday with no engine :-)

4 hours for me.

Its really heatin' up in Ncal/Sierra

Jim Logajan
July 11th 07, 04:23 AM
rotor&amp;wing > wrote:
> (btw, i own a yacht, a plane and a helicopter. i'm sure you can find
> something wrong with that)

Well if you hadn't blown all your money on those toys you could have
afforded to pay for an account with a real Usenet service provider.

:-)

Jay Beckman[_2_]
July 11th 07, 04:30 AM
On Jul 10, 8:23 pm, Jim Logajan > wrote:
> rotor&amp;wing > wrote:
> > (btw, i own a yacht, a plane and a helicopter. i'm sure you can find
> > something wrong with that)
>
> Well if you hadn't blown all your money on those toys you could have
> afforded to pay for an account with a real Usenet service provider.
>
> :-)

Or maybe a name?

Jay B

Montblack
July 11th 07, 07:16 AM
(<rotor&amp>; "wing" wrote)
> (btw, i own a yacht, a plane and a helicopter. i'm sure you can find
> something wrong with that)

No minivan?

Paul-Mont

Matt Whiting
July 11th 07, 12:05 PM
Jim Logajan wrote:
> rotor&amp;wing > wrote:
>> (btw, i own a yacht, a plane and a helicopter. i'm sure you can find
>> something wrong with that)
>
> Well if you hadn't blown all your money on those toys you could have
> afforded to pay for an account with a real Usenet service provider.
>
> :-)

And he could have afforded classes to learn how to write! :-)

Matt

rotor&wing
July 11th 07, 01:32 PM
rotor&amp;wing wrote:
(btw, i own a yacht, a plane and a helicopter. i'm sure you can find
something wrong with that)

Well if you hadn't blown all your money on those toys you could have
afforded to pay for an account with a real Usenet service provider.

:-)

why, so i can reply to honeck's inane diatribes and postings where he rambles on endlessly about nothing? no thanks.

btw, i haven't blown all my money. trust me, there's alot more where that came from. you guys are showing your "wealth envy". maybe you can get your hero hillary to put an end to the upper class.

good luck.

Jay Honeck
July 11th 07, 04:06 PM
> btw, i haven't blown all my money. trust me, there's alot more where
> that came from. you guys are showing your "wealth envy". maybe you can
> get your hero hillary to put an end to the upper class.
>
> good luck.

Only in America! Imagine any other country in the world where an
illiterate person could afford a helicopter, a yacht, and an
airplane?

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Montblack
July 11th 07, 04:20 PM
(rotor&amp wrote)
> btw, i haven't blown all my money. trust me, there's alot more where that
> came from. you guys are showing your "wealth envy". maybe you can get your
> hero hillary to put an end to the upper class.

Good, then maybe you can buy a keyboard with a <shift> key that works more
often.

Paul-Mont

Matt Barrow[_4_]
July 11th 07, 04:23 PM
"Jay Beckman" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Jul 10, 8:23 pm, Jim Logajan > wrote:
>> rotor&amp;wing > wrote:
>> > (btw, i own a yacht, a plane and a helicopter. i'm sure you can find
>> > something wrong with that)
>>
>> Well if you hadn't blown all your money on those toys you could have
>> afforded to pay for an account with a real Usenet service provider.
>>
>> :-)
>
> Or maybe a name?

Isn't that his parents fault?

Matt Barrow[_4_]
July 11th 07, 04:25 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> btw, i haven't blown all my money. trust me, there's alot more where
>> that came from. you guys are showing your "wealth envy". maybe you can
>> get your hero hillary to put an end to the upper class.
>>
>> good luck.
>
> Only in America! Imagine any other country in the world where an
> illiterate person could afford a helicopter, a yacht, and an
> airplane?
>
> ;-)

Or a putz could afford a hotel. :~o

Jay Honeck
July 11th 07, 05:02 PM
> Or a putz could afford a hotel. :~o

Or a doofus could make a buck shilling real estate?

<ducking!>

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Matt Barrow[_4_]
July 11th 07, 05:31 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> Or a putz could afford a hotel. :~o
>
> Or a doofus could make a buck shilling real estate?
>
> <ducking!>
>
> :-)

Actually, that would be my wife (if you've ever noticed those glamour shot
pictures on RE gal's business cards you'd underestand; she doesn't need
glamour makeovers..., OTOH, I'm hopeless).

She tells me where, when and what model, and I just builds 'em.

--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC.

Montblack
July 11th 07, 05:59 PM
("Matt Barrow" sig line)
> Performance Homes, LLC.
> Cheyenne, WY

The name Site-Fill Homes always created (in my head) the 'cartoon bubble' of
trucks backing up to a site and dumping their load of 2x4's, sheetrock,
siding, windows and doors, cupboards, etc into a hole. Then Bugs Bunny
reaching behind his back for a For Sale sign, and plunking it down next to
the mail box.

Paul-Mont :-)

Matt Barrow[_4_]
July 11th 07, 06:13 PM
"Montblack" > wrote in message
> ("Matt Barrow" sig line)
>> Performance Homes, LLC.
>> Cheyenne, WY
>

> The name Site-Fill Homes always created (in my head) the 'cartoon bubble'
> of trucks backing up to a site and dumping their load of 2x4's, sheetrock,
> siding, windows and doors, cupboards, etc into a hole. Then Bugs Bunny
> reaching behind his back for a For Sale sign, and plunking it down next to
> the mail box.

I started out doing one acre lots on the edges of areas already developed,
or occasionally a small plot that an owner hung onto too long or who didn't
want his house on so much acreage. I'd buy one acre and put two, three, or
four houses on that plot (never more than four). In essence, I was filling
in small available building sites.

Occasionally we'd have to clear out some wascally wabbits prior to
commencing construction.

In December-January, we moved from the Western Slope to the Eastern Front
Range (Gawd, I sure don't miss having to do the first couple hundred miles
over the Colorado Rockies) and changed our name and focus -- now we're
giving the high-overhead builders a run for the money even though there's
less money flowing into the markets we cover.

Matt B.

Kloudy via AviationKB.com
July 11th 07, 06:53 PM

>why, so i can reply to honeck's inane diatribes and postings where h
>rambles on endlessly about nothing? no thanks.
>
>btw, i haven't blown all my money. trust me, there's alot more wher
>that came from. you guys are showing your "wealth envy". maybe you ca
>get your hero hillary to put an end to the upper class.
>
>good luck
>
>--
>rotor&amp;wing

Jeesus...asserts he has lots of money but clearly lacks any manners.

oooo i envy you Mr. WealthyMan.

Jim Logajan
July 11th 07, 07:53 PM
rotor&amp;wing > wrote:
> btw, i haven't blown all my money. trust me, there's alot more where
> that came from. you guys are showing your "wealth envy".

I plead guilty to wanting more wealth. ;-) Since you clearly don't suffer
from "wealth envy", please send me your plane and that excess money. :-)
(I do not envy your yacht or your helicopter. Even if I had the money for
them I wouldn't buy those particular toys.)

> maybe you can
> get your hero hillary to put an end to the upper class.

Well, I always vote Libertarian when they are on the ticket. I believe I'm
in the upper middle class, wealth wise, and it would pain me if there
wasn't an upper wealth class to aspire to.

C J Campbell[_1_]
July 11th 07, 08:14 PM
On 2007-07-10 15:35:35 -0700, rotor&amp;wing
> said:

> (btw, i own a yacht, a plane and a helicopter. i'm sure you can find
> something wrong with that)

You know, I think you just might have a few new friends here... :-)
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Matt Whiting
July 11th 07, 11:24 PM
rotor&amp;wing wrote:
> Jim Logajan;532736 Wrote:
>> rotor&amp;wing wrote:-
>> (btw, i own a yacht, a plane and a helicopter. i'm sure you can find
>> something wrong with that)-
>>
>> Well if you hadn't blown all your money on those toys you could have
>> afforded to pay for an account with a real Usenet service provider.
>>
>> :-)
>
> why, so i can reply to honeck's inane diatribes and postings where he
> rambles on endlessly about nothing? no thanks.
>
> btw, i haven't blown all my money. trust me, there's alot more where
> that came from. you guys are showing your "wealth envy". maybe you can
> get your hero hillary to put an end to the upper class.

Well, I'm in very good shape financially and I can write a reasonable
sentence and even use the shift key for proper capitalization.

Matt

Morgans[_2_]
July 12th 07, 12:20 AM
"Kloudy via AviationKB.com" <u33403@uwe> wrote

> Jeesus...asserts he has lots of money but clearly lacks any manners.
>
> oooo i envy you Mr. WealthyMan.

Yep. Number one rule of wealthy people? Don't talk about how much money you
have.

That is how the people with money AND class act, anyway.
--
Jim in NC

Google