PDA

View Full Version : Not user fees anymore, service fees...

Blueskies
July 10th 07, 12:20 AM
http://www.avweb.com/newspics/FAA_service_fees.pdf

Register your plane, $130.00

Process a medical, $42.00 (each time!)

NW_Pilot
July 10th 07, 12:40 AM
"Blueskies" > wrote in message
et...
> http://www.avweb.com/newspics/FAA_service_fees.pdf
>
> Register your plane, $130.00
>
> Process a medical, $42.00 (each time!)

Ouch!!!! Looks like they really want to kill general aviation.

Paul kgyy
July 10th 07, 06:43 PM
> > Process a medical, $42.00 (each time!)
>
> Ouch!!!! Looks like they really want to kill general aviation.

Naw, that'll just encourage more pilots to skip the medical.

El Maximo
July 10th 07, 07:20 PM
"Paul kgyy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>> > Process a medical, $42.00 (each time!)
>>
>> Ouch!!!! Looks like they really want to kill general aviation.
>
> Naw, that'll just encourage more pilots to skip the medical.

I haven't moved, so I still use my yellow one from 1995.

That's not a problem, is it? Nobody's ever even asked to see it.

NW_Pilot
July 10th 07, 11:29 PM
"El Maximo" > wrote in message
> "Paul kgyy" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>>
>>> Ouch!!!! Looks like they really want to kill general aviation.
>>
>> Naw, that'll just encourage more pilots to skip the medical.
>>

> I haven't moved, so I still use my yellow one from 1995.
>
> That's not a problem, is it? Nobody's ever even asked to see it.

I have beenn asked for mine many times.

Gatt
July 11th 07, 02:04 AM
"NW_Pilot" > wrote in message

>> I haven't moved, so I still use my yellow one from 1995.
>>
>> That's not a problem, is it? Nobody's ever even asked to see it.
>>
> I have beenn asked for mine many times.

Mandatory for any FAA practical exam. Mine went skiing with me down Mt.
Bachelor one time, then went through the wash. Kinda embarrassing...

'Here's my medical certificate... here, wait...here's another piece of
it...'

-c

Jim Carter[_1_]
July 11th 07, 05:18 AM
"El Maximo" > wrote in message
> "Paul kgyy" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>>
>>> Ouch!!!! Looks like they really want to kill general aviation.
>>
>> Naw, that'll just encourage more pilots to skip the medical.
>>

> I haven't moved, so I still use my yellow one from 1995.
>
> That's not a problem, is it? Nobody's ever even asked to see it.

I just "updated" mine that I've had since 1976 to the new plastic version
before they go up in price. Didn't I see something here a while back about
the new photo licenses (plastic ones) being required by the end of 2008? I
figure they will go up in price just before the rush at the end.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas

B A R R Y[_2_]
July 11th 07, 12:13 PM
El Maximo wrote:

> I haven't moved, so I still use my yellow one from 1995.
>
> That's not a problem, is it? Nobody's ever even asked to see it.

You haven't had a flight review or added a rating since 1995?

El Maximo
July 11th 07, 12:19 PM
"Jim Carter" > wrote in message
t...
> "El Maximo" > wrote in message
>> "Paul kgyy" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>>> Naw, that'll just encourage more pilots to skip the medical.
>>>

>> I haven't moved, so I still use my yellow one from 1995.
>>
>> That's not a problem, is it? Nobody's ever even asked to see it.
>>
> I just "updated" mine that I've had since 1976 to the new plastic version
> before they go up in price. Didn't I see something here a while back about
> the new photo licenses (plastic ones) being required by the end of 2008? I
> figure they will go up in price just before the rush at the end.
>
> --
> Jim Carter
> Rogers, Arkansas

I was trying to make a joke about flying without a medical. Guess I forgot
the ':)'

Matt Barrow[_4_]
July 11th 07, 02:51 PM
"Paul kgyy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>> > Process a medical, $42.00 (each time!)
>>
>> Ouch!!!! Looks like they really want to kill general aviation.
>
> Naw, that'll just encourage more pilots to skip the medical.

My last medical cost around $175.

That $175 was what the AME that I used charges.

Near as I can tell, he was doing a very nice business.

Matt B.
--
"I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest
complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it

Matt Barrow[_4_]
July 11th 07, 02:52 PM
"El Maximo" > wrote in message
> "Paul kgyy" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>>
>>> Ouch!!!! Looks like they really want to kill general aviation.
>>
>> Naw, that'll just encourage more pilots to skip the medical.
>>

> I haven't moved, so I still use my yellow one from 1995.
>
> That's not a problem, is it? Nobody's ever even asked to see it.
Nobody ever asked to see your marriage license either, did they? :~)

Gig 601XL Builder
July 11th 07, 03:22 PM
Matt Barrow wrote:
> "Paul kgyy" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>>
>>> Ouch!!!! Looks like they really want to kill general aviation.
>>
>> Naw, that'll just encourage more pilots to skip the medical.
>
> My last medical cost around $175.
>
> That $175 was what the AME that I used charges.
>
> Near as I can tell, he was doing a very nice business.
>
> Matt B.

So then you next on if the fee goes into effect will cost $217.

Matt Barrow[_4_]
July 11th 07, 04:08 PM
"Gig 601XL Builder" <wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net> wrote in message
> Matt Barrow wrote:
>> "Paul kgyy" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>>> Naw, that'll just encourage more pilots to skip the medical.
>>
>> My last medical cost around $175.
>>
>> That $175 was what the AME that I used charges.
>>
>> Near as I can tell, he was doing a very nice business.
>>
>> Matt B.
>
> So then you next on if the fee goes into effect will cost $217.

As a portion of all my flying expenses, this is chump change.

BobR
July 11th 07, 07:09 PM
On Jul 11, 10:08 am, "Matt Barrow" >
wrote:
> "Gig 601XL Builder" <wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net> wrote in ...
>

> > Matt Barrow wrote:
> >> "Paul kgyy" > wrote in message
> ups.com...

> >> My last medical cost around $175.
>
> >> That $175 was what the AME that I used charges.
>
> >> Near as I can tell, he was doing a very nice business.
>
> >> Matt B.
>
> > So then you next on if the fee goes into effect will cost $217.
>
> As a portion of all my flying expenses, this is chump change.- Hide quoted text -

Every STRAW on the Camels back was just chump change at the time.

Matt Barrow[_4_]
July 11th 07, 07:22 PM
"BobR" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Jul 11, 10:08 am, "Matt Barrow" >
> wrote:

>> ups.com...

>> > So then you next on if the fee goes into effect will cost $217.
>>
>> As a portion of all my flying expenses, this is chump change.- Hide
>> quoted text -

> Every STRAW on the Camels back was just chump change at the time.

Who pays for the cost of processing a Medical now?

No straws there, right?

B A R R Y[_2_]
July 11th 07, 08:36 PM
El Maximo wrote:

> I was trying to make a joke about flying without a medical. Guess I forgot
> the ':)'

Gotch! <G>

Blueskies
July 11th 07, 11:03 PM
"Gig 601XL Builder" <wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net> wrote in message ...
> Matt Barrow wrote:
>> "Paul kgyy" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>>> Naw, that'll just encourage more pilots to skip the medical.
>>
>> My last medical cost around $175.
>>
>> That $175 was what the AME that I used charges.
>>
>> Near as I can tell, he was doing a very nice business.
>>
>> Matt B.
>
> So then you next on if the fee goes into effect will cost $217.

My last 2nd class cost $75...

Maxwell
July 12th 07, 03:56 AM
"Blueskies" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Gig 601XL Builder" <wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net> wrote in message
>> Matt Barrow wrote:
>>> "Paul kgyy" > wrote in message
>>> ups.com...

>>> My last medical cost around $175.
>>>
>>> That $175 was what the AME that I used charges.
>>>
>>> Near as I can tell, he was doing a very nice business.
>>>
>>> Matt B.
>>
>> So then you next on if the fee goes into effect will cost $217.
>>

> My last 2nd class cost $75...

I just paid $75 for a 3rd class about three weeks ago.

I didn't realize there was so much variation. I guess it would pay to shop
around a bit.

Matt Barrow[_4_]
July 12th 07, 04:01 AM
"Blueskies" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Gig 601XL Builder" <wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net> wrote in message
>> Matt Barrow wrote:
>>> "Paul kgyy" > wrote in message
>>> ups.com...

>>> My last medical cost around $175.
>>>
>>> That $175 was what the AME that I used charges.
>>>
>>> Near as I can tell, he was doing a very nice business.
>>>
>>> Matt B.
>>
>> So then you next on if the fee goes into effect will cost $217.
>>

> My last 2nd class cost $75...

Does your AME speak Engrish? :~)

Ron Natalie
July 12th 07, 12:30 PM
Matt Barrow wrote:

> That $175 was what the AME that I used charges.
>
> Near as I can tell, he was doing a very nice business.

I old AME charged $120 but gave a 50% discount to pilots.

Matt Barrow[_4_]
July 12th 07, 02:25 PM
"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
> Matt Barrow wrote:
>
>> That $175 was what the AME that I used charges.
>>
>> Near as I can tell, he was doing a very nice business.
>>
> I old AME charged $120 but gave a 50% discount to pilots.

That's nice.

Matt Whiting
July 12th 07, 09:36 PM
Ron Natalie wrote:
> Matt Barrow wrote:
>
>> That $175 was what the AME that I used charges.
>>
>> Near as I can tell, he was doing a very nice business.
>>
> I old AME charged $120 but gave a 50% discount to pilots.

Ha, ha, ha... That is funny!

Matt

Frank Stutzman[_2_]
July 13th 07, 03:47 PM
In rec.aviation.homebuilt NW_Pilot > wrote:

> "Blueskies" > wrote in message
> et...
>> http://www.avweb.com/newspics/FAA_service_fees.pdf
>>
>> Register your plane, $130.00
>>
>> Process a medical, $42.00 (each time!)
>
> Ouch!!!! Looks like they really want to kill general aviation.

Can't see how an increase in the cost of processing a medical is aimed
at killing GA. Commercial aviation also has to have pilots and those
pilots have to have current medicals.

Now granted the commercials pilots medical fees may be picked up by
his employer. Or at least the commercial pilot could take the fees
as a deduction on his income taxes.

Doesn't a first or second class medical (as needed by a commercial
pilot) cost a lot more than a third?

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

NW_Pilot
July 13th 07, 06:56 PM
"Frank Stutzman" > wrote in message
> In rec.aviation.homebuilt NW_Pilot >
> wrote:
>>
>> "Blueskies" > wrote in message
>> et...
>>> http://www.avweb.com/newspics/FAA_service_fees.pdf
>>>
>>> Register your plane, $130.00
>>>
>>> Process a medical, $42.00 (each time!)
>>
>> Ouch!!!! Looks like they really want to kill general aviation.
>
> Can't see how an increase in the cost of processing a medical is aimed
> at killing GA. Commercial aviation also has to have pilots and those
> pilots have to have current medicals.
>
> Now granted the commercials pilots medical fees may be picked up by
> his employer. Or at least the commercial pilot could take the fees
> as a deduction on his income taxes.
>
> Doesn't a first or second class medical (as needed by a commercial
> pilot) cost a lot more than a third?
>

> --
> Frank Stutzman
> Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"
> Boise, ID

Yea, but some pilots barly get by as it is. I know a one that has to go in
for a third class 3 times a year due to past mediacl issues he can barly
afford to fly as it is. he is thankfull that he has medial insurance.

Gig 601XL Builder
July 13th 07, 08:03 PM
NW_Pilot wrote:

> Yea, but some pilots barly get by as it is. I know a one that has to
> go in for a third class 3 times a year due to past mediacl issues he
> can barly afford to fly as it is. he is thankfull that he has medial
> insurance.

Your friend sounds like a perfect prospect for LSA.

John Godwin[_2_]
July 13th 07, 08:20 PM
Frank Stutzman > wrote in
:

> In rec.aviation.homebuilt NW_Pilot
> > wrote:
>>
>> "Blueskies" > wrote in message
>> et...
>>> http://www.avweb.com/newspics/FAA_service_fees.pdf
>>>
>>> Register your plane, $130.00
>>>
>>> Process a medical, $42.00 (each time!)
>>
>> Ouch!!!! Looks like they really want to kill general aviation.
>
> Can't see how an increase in the cost of processing a medical is aimed
> at killing GA. Commercial aviation also has to have pilots and those
> pilots have to have current medicals.

As it stands now, my costs run around $200 per year for my class 2
medical. Add to that the delays and "hoop jumping" each year, I have to
consider hanging up my spurs and consider LSA.

Frank Stutzman[_2_]
July 14th 07, 01:59 AM
In rec.aviation.homebuilt John Godwin > wrote:

> As it stands now, my costs run around $200 per year for my class 2
> medical. Add to that the delays and "hoop jumping" each year, I have to
> consider hanging up my spurs and consider LSA.

What flying are you doing that requires a class 2 medical, but could be done
with a LSA? Or am I mis-understanding your statement?

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

John Godwin
July 14th 07, 03:24 AM
Frank Stutzman > wrote in
:

> What flying are you doing that requires a class 2 medical, but
> could be done with a LSA? Or am I mis-understanding your
> statement?

Tow Gliders. That'll stop too.

--

John Godwin
July 14th 07, 03:26 AM

> What flying are you doing that requires a class 2 medical, but
> could be done with a LSA? Or am I mis-understanding your
> statement?

BTW, the cost and FAA B.S. would remain the same for a Class 3 Medical.

--

Blueskies
July 14th 07, 01:29 PM
"NW_Pilot" > wrote in message . ..

> Yea, but some pilots barly get by as it is. I know a one that has to go in for a third class 3 times a year due to
> past mediacl issues he can barly afford to fly as it is. he is thankfull that he has medial insurance.

Medical insurance covers the FAA medical?

Blueskies
July 14th 07, 01:39 PM
"Frank Stutzman" > wrote in message ...
> In rec.aviation.homebuilt NW_Pilot > wrote:
>>
>> "Blueskies" > wrote in message
>> et...
>>> http://www.avweb.com/newspics/FAA_service_fees.pdf
>>>
>>> Register your plane, $130.00
>>>
>>> Process a medical, $42.00 (each time!)
>>
>> Ouch!!!! Looks like they really want to kill general aviation.
>
> Can't see how an increase in the cost of processing a medical is aimed
> at killing GA. Commercial aviation also has to have pilots and those
> pilots have to have current medicals.
>
> Now granted the commercials pilots medical fees may be picked up by
> his employer. Or at least the commercial pilot could take the fees
> as a deduction on his income taxes.
>
> Doesn't a first or second class medical (as needed by a commercial
> pilot) cost a lot more than a third?
>

> --
> Frank Stutzman
> Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"
> Boise, ID

3rd and 2nd class cost the same from my examiner...

Funny how you folks picked up on the medical processing fee, but no-one is talking about the other increases also. If
this were to be an equitable deal, then the registration costs would be based on the aircraft cost, or weight, number of
passengers, or some other normalizing criteria. $130 for a 747 is crazy if that is the same as what it costs for a Cub!

Bob Noel
July 14th 07, 03:23 PM
In article >,
"Blueskies" > wrote:

> Funny how you folks picked up on the medical processing fee, but no-one is
> talking about the other increases also. If
> this were to be an equitable deal, then the registration costs would be based
> on the aircraft cost, or weight, number of
> passengers, or some other normalizing criteria. $130 for a 747 is crazy if
> that is the same as what it costs for a Cub!

Is there more paperwork to register a 747 than a piper cub?

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Scott Skylane
July 14th 07, 09:55 PM
Blueskies wrote:

> Medical insurance covers the FAA medical?

Mine does (Blue Cross).

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

NW_Pilot
July 16th 07, 01:49 AM
"Blueskies" > wrote in message
. net...

> "NW_Pilot" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>

>> Yea, but some pilots barly get by as it is. I know a one that has to go
>> in for a third class 3 times a year due to past mediacl issues he can
>> barly afford to fly as it is. he is thankfull that he has medial
>> insurance.
>>

> Medical insurance covers the FAA medical?

Well he has to pay the AME's fee, It covers all the extra stuff that is
required of him all them office visits, pokes and prods, lab fees, and
tests! Once he can no longer get 100% medical coverage he is done would make
him go broke.

John Godwin[_2_]
July 16th 07, 08:07 PM
"NW_Pilot" > wrote in
:

> Well he has to pay the AME's fee, It covers all the extra stuff that
> is required of him all them office visits, pokes and prods, lab fees,
> and tests! Once he can no longer get 100% medical coverage he is done
> would make him go broke.

I believe one of the larger AME costs is recurrency required to maintain
their AME status (travel, lodging, etc.)

Blueskies
August 4th 07, 02:09 PM
"Blueskies" > wrote in message et...
> http://www.avweb.com/newspics/FAA_service_fees.pdf
>
> Register your plane, $130.00
>
> Process a medical, $42.00 (each time!)

It look like the AOPA is OK with this bill and 'fee structure'. It also looks like a lot of folks were OK with it at
Oshkosh. All sorts of AOPA 'No User Fees' support H.R.2881 stickers on shirts and things... AOPA will not be getting a
renewal from me this year. http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2007/070801house.html

Google