PDA

View Full Version : Led lights for glider trailers

Mal[_4_]
July 10th 07, 10:45 AM
Was it in this group were someone asked about Led lights for glider
trailers.

Met this guy today he does good work.

http://www.lazer.com.au/sbcleds.shtml

Mal

Paul Hanson
July 10th 07, 05:24 PM
At 09:54 10 July 2007, Mal wrote:
>Was it in this group were someone asked about Led lights
>for glider
>trailers.
>
>Met this guy today he does good work.
>
>http://www.lazer.com.au/sbcleds.shtml
>
>Mal

I don't remember (at least recently anyways) seeing
a thread about LED lights for trailers. However, I
think LED's are a great idea, BUT... I just urge anyone
buying them to look into the flash rate (they are constantly
blinking as opposed to solidly on like incandescents)
of lights you are investigating and choose the highest
rate possible. Reason being, it is VERY annoying and
distracting to be driving at night, and to have a set
of very bright taillights 'strobe' a dotted line across
your vision as you scan your eye across them. The lower
the flash rate, the more exaggerated the problem is.
I am very surprised DOT has not set some kind of minimum
standards as to flash rate (as well as better guidelines
to headlight lumen maximum/spectrum range, anyone else
hate those ultra-bright purple blue headlights?).
Remember, if it is distracting to other drivers, you
are increasing your chances of an accident as opposed
to promoting safety so please do your homework before
purchasing.

Paul Hanson
"Do the usual, unusually well"--Len Niemi

Ralph Jones[_2_]
July 10th 07, 05:59 PM
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 09:45:40 GMT, "Mal" > wrote:

>Was it in this group were someone asked about Led lights for glider
>trailers.
>
>Met this guy today he does good work.
>
>http://www.lazer.com.au/sbcleds.shtml
>
>Mal

But does he carry spinner hubcaps?...;-)

Eric Greenwell
July 10th 07, 11:18 PM
Paul Hanson wrote:

> I don't remember (at least recently anyways) seeing
> a thread about LED lights for trailers. However, I
> think LED's are a great idea, BUT... I just urge anyone
> buying them to look into the flash rate (they are constantly
> blinking as opposed to solidly on like incandescents)
> of lights you are investigating and choose the highest
> rate possible. Reason being, it is VERY annoying and
> distracting to be driving at night, and to have a set
> of very bright taillights 'strobe' a dotted line across
> your vision as you scan your eye across them. The lower
> the flash rate, the more exaggerated the problem is.
> I am very surprised DOT has not set some kind of minimum
> standards as to flash rate (as well as better guidelines
> to headlight lumen maximum/spectrum range, anyone else
> hate those ultra-bright purple blue headlights?).
> Remember, if it is distracting to other drivers, you
> are increasing your chances of an accident as opposed
> to promoting safety so please do your homework before
> purchasing.

There are plenty of places selling brake/turn/running light units using
LEDs that display exactly as the incandescent units do (no
flashing/strobing, just on or off). In the USA, LED lights are very
common on all sizes of trucks and buses, and none of them flash.

I replaced the standard incandescent units on my Cobra trailer and my
motorhome with LED units. They are much brighter, particularly the
trailer units, as the incandescent units drew enough current to lower
the voltage at the lamp.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

bumper
July 11th 07, 12:06 AM
Eric,

I couldn't figure the "flashing" comment either, unless he was referring to
what sometimes happens with a non-electronic flasher without enough
load - - e.g. if you replace your turn signal incandescent lights with LED
units, the load won't be enough to operate the OEM flasher. This can be
corrected by either installing a suitable electronic flasher or by
installing a load resister in parallel with both turn signals.

Also good is to install a 3rd brake light at the top of the trailer fin. It
may be necessary to make a wedge or bracket so that the LED fixture is
perpendicular to the ground (LED's used in these fixtures have a relatively
narrow beam angle as compared to incandescent lights). A relay is used for
the "logic" circuit with the coil driven by one turn signal and the NO
contact connected to the other. Both turn/brake lights on together, then the
3rd brake light works.

Newer Cobra trailers have a bigger tail light fixture installed semi-flush.
A shame, since it's still not good quality and the larger hole in the
trailer means you can't use standard round truck LED lights easily.

I used Maxxima LED fixtures on my trailer, reasonable price and good
quality.

bumper

"Eric Greenwell" > wrote in message
> Paul Hanson wrote:
>
>> I don't remember (at least recently anyways) seeing
>> a thread about LED lights for trailers. However, I
>> think LED's are a great idea, BUT... I just urge anyone
>> buying them to look into the flash rate (they are constantly
>> blinking as opposed to solidly on like incandescents)
>> of lights you are investigating and choose the highest
>> rate possible. Reason being, it is VERY annoying and
>> distracting to be driving at night, and to have a set
>> of very bright taillights 'strobe' a dotted line across
>> your vision as you scan your eye across them. The lower
>> the flash rate, the more exaggerated the problem is.
>> I am very surprised DOT has not set some kind of minimum
>> standards as to flash rate (as well as better guidelines
>> to headlight lumen maximum/spectrum range, anyone else
>> hate those ultra-bright purple blue headlights?). Remember, if it is
>> distracting to other drivers, you
>> are increasing your chances of an accident as opposed
>> to promoting safety so please do your homework before
>> purchasing.
>
> There are plenty of places selling brake/turn/running light units using
> LEDs that display exactly as the incandescent units do (no
> flashing/strobing, just on or off). In the USA, LED lights are very common
> on all sizes of trucks and buses, and none of them flash.
>
> I replaced the standard incandescent units on my Cobra trailer and my
> motorhome with LED units. They are much brighter, particularly the trailer
> units, as the incandescent units drew enough current to lower the voltage
> at the lamp.
>
> --
> Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
> * Change "netto" to "net" to email me directly
> * "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
> * "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Paul Hanson
July 11th 07, 01:46 AM
About the flashing. I am not referring to any mode
of load applied to the lights (like putting on your
hazzards, or using a turn signal), I am talking about
the light cluster units themselves.
Not all LED lights for vehicles are created equal.

A great deal of them do NOT light up like an incandescent
bulb. In fact, most of them I have seen do not. Most
have a little circuit board in them, which aside from
regulating voltage, dictate how many flashes per second
they have while engaged in different modes.
Yes, in the US a lot of buses/trucks/etc have LEDs,
which IS clearly a superior technology, if properly
designed. Unfortunately a great deal (not all mind
you) of them DO possess what I call the 'strobe effect',
for lack of a better term, I am harping on. This effect
happens while they fully on (constant voltage), since
they are set to flash say, oh maybe...40-200 times
per second, which appears to be on like an incandescent
at a steady glance, but not when you run your eyes
across it while it is stationary. I have spent a LOT
of time on the road, particularly at night and I can
assure you that many of the vehicles equipped with
LEDs are using a type that has this highly distractive
circuit built into them. I fully agree that LED's are
the way to go, all I am saying is please, on behalf
of all others on the road including me, buy good ones
that either flash so quickly that it is undetectable,
or do not flash at all like an incandescent. There
are many types available, all you have to do before
buying one, is turn it on (apply the voltage), then
move your eyes across it quickly. Does it make a solid
red streak, or did it leave the imprint of a dotted
line? Flashing lights are distracting, thats all. A
little homework goes a long way, with any purchase.
Here are a few links to other discussions about this
very same phenomenon that I now realize plagues many
more people than myself: (Granted it is a UK forum,
but it touches on the same effect, and if you want
I'm sure I can find more and from the US)

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=118808&highlight
=#118808

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10539&postdays=0
&postorder=asc&start=0

Glad you guys just happened to get LEDs that work well,
and I agree, the third brake light is indeed a good
idea.

Paul Hanson

At 23:12 10 July 2007, Bumper wrote:
> [...]
>>> I am very surprised DOT has not set some kind of minimum
>>> standards as to flash rate (as well as better guidelines
>>> to headlight lumen maximum/spectrum range, anyone
>>>else
>>> hate those ultra-bright purple blue headlights?).
>>>Remember, >>>if it is distracting to other drivers, you
>>> are increasing your chances of an accident as opposed
>>> to promoting safety so please do your homework before
>>> purchasing.
>
>>There are plenty of places selling brake/turn/running
>>light units >>using
>>LEDs that display exactly as the incandescent units
>>do (no
>>flashing/strobing, just on or off). In the USA, LED
>>lights are >>very
>>common on all sizes of trucks and buses, and none of
>>them >>flash.

"Do the usual, unusually well"--Len Niemi

Bill Daniels
July 11th 07, 02:05 AM
Yep, they do flash so as to increase the percieved brightness by driving the
LED to a brighter output in the 50% on cycle while avoiding some of the
heat build up with the off cycle. But, I always thought that was at more
than 100 Hz where the on-off flashing would not be perceivable - at least by
the majority of the population. I can't perceive the 'dotted streaks' you
speak of.

Just curious, Paul. What was the lowest computer CRT monitor refresh rate
you can live with? (The new CFL backlit LCD's don't flash.)

Bill Daniels

"Paul Hanson" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>>Newer Cobra trailers have a bigger tail light fixture
>>installed semi-flush.
>>A shame, since it's still not good quality and the
>>larger hole in the
>>trailer means you can't use standard round truck LED
>>lights easily.
>>
>>I used Maxxima LED fixtures on my trailer, reasonable
>>price and good
>>quality.
>>
>>bumper
>>

>>'Eric Greenwell' wrote in message

>>>There are plenty of places selling brake/turn/running
>>>light units >>using
>>>LEDs that display exactly as the incandescent units
>>>do (no
>>>flashing/strobing, just on or off). In the USA, LED
>>>lights are >>very
>>>common on all sizes of trucks and buses, and none of
>>>them >>flash.
>

> "Do the usual, unusually well"--Len Niemi

July 11th 07, 03:25 AM
Paul Hanson wrote:
> About the flashing. I am not referring to any mode
> of load applied to the lights (like putting on your
> hazzards, or using a turn signal), I am talking about
> the light cluster units themselves.
> Not all LED lights for vehicles are created equal.
>
> A great deal of them do NOT light up like an incandescent
> bulb.

I'm not sure it's relevant - I'm talking about DOT approved units sold
all over the USA. I have not seen the effect you are talking about on
any vehicle - cars, trucks, buses, or trailers - and I've never heard
anyone mention it before, either. So, my belief is I'm safer with these
brighter lights that turn on quicker than I am with the original
incandescents that didn't seem to catch people's attention as much.

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Paul Hanson
July 11th 07, 07:17 AM
Not sure what the minimum refresh rate I can deal
with on a CRT is, as I have pretty much exclusively
used an LCD now for quite a while and never noticed
any issues with it in the past, but I imagine that
it could be significantly lower than my threshold of
what I find distracting and annoying on 'most' LED
equipped vehicles. While at a computer, my eyes are
basically stationary while viewing a small screen (I
have no PDA to speak of). While I drive though, I do
a lot of scanning of the road, between being on deer
lookout, 'refreshing' my rearward awareness by checking
my rear view mirrors, and of course constantly monitoring
traffic all around me. For me personally, I do not
want anything on my vehicle that is going to distract
or hypnotize ANY other drivers on the road, which is
what poorly designed (even if DOT approved) LED's end
up doing. Unfortunately they are not all 100Hz and
up, in fact there are some cars that some with them
as 'stock' options and are closer to 50Hz! Again, I
am ALL FOR LED's, I just think that more research/regulations
need to be applied to them so as not to add more unnecessary
hazard to the roads, and more buyer awareness to support
it. Whether everyone notices this phenomenon or not,
it only takes one confused driver to ruin your whole
day/night.
For the doubters on this thread--does not noticing
something mean it does not exist or matter?

Paul Hanson

At 01:06 11 July 2007, Bill Daniels wrote:
> [...]
>>>have a relatively
>>>narrow beam angle as compared to incandescent lights).
>>>A relay is used for
>>>the 'logic' circuit with the coil driven by one turn
>>>signal and the NO
>>>contact connected to the other. Both turn/brake lights
>>>on together, then the
>>>3rd brake light works.
>>>
>>>Newer Cobra trailers have a bigger tail light fixture
>>>installed semi-flush.
>>>A shame, since it's still not good quality and the
>>>larger hole in the
>>>trailer means you can't use standard round truck LED
>>>lights easily.
>>>
>>>I used Maxxima LED fixtures on my trailer, reasonable
>>>price and good
>>>quality.
>>>
>>>bumper
>>>

>>>'Eric Greenwell' wrote in message

"Do the usual, unusually well"--Len Niemi

JS
July 11th 07, 09:26 PM
I picked up a pair of LED tail lights from a dealer in Australia, I
think for $70 or 75AU. These are of course the proper ones with amber
turn signals not the 1960s-vintage, same red lighting for turn and
brake, typical of US installations and illegal elsewhere. They are
also waterproof for boat trailers, so will likely last forever. Found
them on e-bay Australia.
Only problem I found was the 100mm square lights didn't quite cover
the Cobra trailer's round tail light cutout, so a backing plate needs
to be made.
Jim

Eric Greenwell
July 11th 07, 09:32 PM
Paul Hanson wrote:
> Again, I
> am ALL FOR LED's, I just think that more research/regulations
> need to be applied to them so as not to add more unnecessary
> hazard to the roads, and more buyer awareness to support
> it. Whether everyone notices this phenomenon or not,
> it only takes one confused driver to ruin your whole
> day/night.
> For the doubters on this thread--does not noticing
> something mean it does not exist or matter?

Happily, it doesn't exist on my trailer or motorhome. According to an
email I just received from the light manufacturer (Maxxim), their lights
are not pulsed. So, I can now recommend them without reservation.

I did come across a forum discussing automotive LED lighting, and some
of them had the same problems Paul does, so he's not the only one. I
have no idea how widespread the problem is, however.

My suspicion is after market suppliers like Maxxim don't use pulse
circuitry because it adds cost but no value. LEDs and a few resistors
are going to be cheaper. The car manufacturers might find it a useful
technique to control intensity and flashing for brake and warning
signals. Some use pulsing to provide the daylight running light
function, for example.

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Paul Hanson
July 12th 07, 12:06 AM
At 20:36 11 July 2007, Eric Greenwell wrote:
>Paul Hanson wrote:
>> Again, I
>> am ALL FOR LED's, I just think that more research/regulations
>> need to be applied to them so as not to add more unnecessary
>> hazard to the roads, and more buyer awareness to support
>> it. Whether everyone notices this phenomenon or not,
>> it only takes one confused driver to ruin your whole
>> day/night.
>> For the doubters on this thread--does not noticing
>> something mean it does not exist or matter?
>
>Happily, it doesn't exist on my trailer or motorhome.
>According to an
>email I just received from the light manufacturer (Maxxim),
>their lights
>are not pulsed. So, I can now recommend them without
>reservation.
>
>I did come across a forum discussing automotive LED
>lighting, and some
>of them had the same problems Paul does, so he's not
>the only one. I
>have no idea how widespread the problem is, however.
>
>My suspicion is after market suppliers like Maxxim
>don't use pulse
>circuitry because it adds cost but no value. LEDs and
>a few resistors
>are going to be cheaper. The car manufacturers might
>find it a useful
>technique to control intensity and flashing for brake
>and warning
>signals. Some use pulsing to provide the daylight running
>light
>function, for example.
>
>--
>Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
>* Change 'netto' to 'net' to email me directly
>* 'Transponders in Sailplanes' http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
>* 'A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation' at
>www.motorglider.org

Thanks for sharing, it is great to know of a manufacturer
off hand that has the 'good ones'. I am going to switch
to LED's soon, and you just saved me a bit of my own
research :-). If I end up getting some different ones
that are also good though, I will be sure to post it
here.

Paul Hanson

"Do the usual, unusually well"--Len Niemi

Google