PDA

View Full Version : P-51 Hitchhiker

Jon Woellhaf
July 26th 07, 09:58 PM
The P-51 Mustang is a single seater, so if you want a ride in one, you have
to hold on tight! <g>

Bob Harrington
July 27th 07, 08:49 AM
"Jon Woellhaf" > wrote in
:

> Attachment decoded: P-51-Hitchhiker.jpg

Cool! I just saw 'DiamondBack' passing through AWO a couple weeks back.
You got a much nicer photograph...

Bob ^,,^

John Szalay
July 27th 07, 03:21 PM
"Jon Woellhaf" > wrote in
:

> The P-51 Mustang is a single seater, so if you want a ride in one, you
> have to hold on tight! <g>
>
> Attachment decoded: P-51-Hitchhiker.jpg
> `

Chuck Yeager sez in his book, he carried a guy back from
Switzerland on his lap in his P-51.
had to fly with the canopy open. bet that was a COLD ride.

Jon Woellhaf
July 27th 07, 04:47 PM
Thanks, Bob.

We were watching planes land on 18R at Oshkosh last Sunday (22 Jul 07) and
saw this P-51D land. He turned off at P-4 and stopped. We were amazed to see
his passenger step out! Four eyes are better than two, I'm sure, when it
comes to taxiing a plane with zero forward visibility.

Jon

"Bob Harrington" > wrote in message
> "Jon Woellhaf" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Attachment decoded: P-51-Hitchhiker.jpg
>
> Cool! I just saw 'DiamondBack' passing through AWO a couple weeks back.
> You got a much nicer photograph...
>
> Bob ^,,^

Bob Harrington
July 28th 07, 01:03 AM
"Jon Woellhaf" > wrote in
:

> Thanks, Bob.
>
> We were watching planes land on 18R at Oshkosh last Sunday (22 Jul 07)
> and saw this P-51D land. He turned off at P-4 and stopped. We were
> amazed to see his passenger step out! Four eyes are better than two,
> I'm sure, when it comes to taxiing a plane with zero forward
> visibility.
>
> Jon

Worth noting, too, is that ~this~ P-51D has been modded to something much
closer to TP-51D status - much larger canopy to allow the GIB some noggin
room - he has a seat where fuel tanks and radio equipment used to live in
the Big'n, and taller fin to make up for the bigger bubble.

Bob ^,,^

> "Bob Harrington" > wrote in message
>> "Jon Woellhaf" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Attachment decoded: P-51-Hitchhiker.jpg
>>
>> Cool! I just saw 'DiamondBack' passing through AWO a couple weeks
>> back. You got a much nicer photograph...
>>
>> Bob ^,,^
>

> begin 666 P-51-Passenger-Exits.jpg
>
> Attachment decoded: P-51-Passenger-Exits.jpg
> `
> end

Google