PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: RTF or builder-assist Rotax sportplane

Office 2004 Test Drive User
July 29th 07, 04:19 PM
Here are my qualifications:

- Two-seat

- Either RTF or the type of on-site builder assist where the aircraft is
flyable in under a month!

- Rotax 912 powered (no other modern aircraft engine has impressed me enough
with its reliability).

- IFR capable - a must.

- Glass cockpit of some sort (prefer GRT).

- Under a $100K or thereabouts all-up.

I hold a PPL-IA and instrument capability for light IFR is a must for me.
Currently own an IFR 152 which will be sold along, with, alas, my RV-9A QB
kit. Building is just not in the cards for me at this time.

After a few years of maintaining a Lycoming, I want to fly behind a Rotax -
it's about that simple. I also want something a bit faster than 90 knots
and getting experience with a glass cockpit is something I'm looking to do.

So, it can be a "LSA" or an experimental - I don't care. It just needs to
be flyable within a very short time after its purchase, with my help or
without.

The Aveo Phantom I saw yesterday at OSH (well, not the plane) is the
front-runner, but as yet unproven. Am interested in pursuing all leads and
would love suggestions on aircraft to explore.

Gig 601XL Builder
July 30th 07, 02:10 PM
Office 2004 Test Drive User wrote:
> Here are my qualifications:
>
> - Two-seat
>
> - Either RTF or the type of on-site builder assist where the aircraft
> is flyable in under a month!
>
> - Rotax 912 powered (no other modern aircraft engine has impressed me
> enough with its reliability).
>
> - IFR capable - a must.
>
> - Glass cockpit of some sort (prefer GRT).
>
> - Under a $100K or thereabouts all-up.
>

> I hold a PPL-IA and instrument capability for light IFR is a must for
> me. Currently own an IFR 152 which will be sold along, with, alas, my
> RV-9A QB kit. Building is just not in the cards for me at this time.
>
> After a few years of maintaining a Lycoming, I want to fly behind a
> Rotax - it's about that simple. I also want something a bit faster
> than 90 knots and getting experience with a glass cockpit is
> something I'm looking to do.
>
> So, it can be a "LSA" or an experimental - I don't care. It just
> needs to be flyable within a very short time after its purchase, with
> my help or without.
>
> The Aveo Phantom I saw yesterday at OSH (well, not the plane) is the
> front-runner, but as yet unproven. Am interested in pursuing all
> leads and would love suggestions on aircraft to explore.

The Zentih 601XLi RTF built by AMD fits with the exception of the engine. It
uses an O-200 or 235 (can't remember off the top of my head.) Dynon EFIS and
EMS. IFR certified.

If you are really anti Lyc/Cont engines don't rule out the Jabiru 3300.

Office 2004 Test Drive User
July 31st 07, 01:30 AM
Not interested in the Zenith. That's why (partly why) I said Rotax.

I believe I miscalculated anyway - there are no IFR-certified factory LSAs.
Experimental class only, and that means 51% rule. And no ultra-fast (1
month) on-site factory build assist programs that I know of (yet, at least).

What I should do is get my butt in gear and finish my 9A. It just does not
seem likely to happen with a reasonable time.

Of course, that's a Lyc. No, I don't hate Lycs - 500 hours now without a
burp, all behind Lycs (knock on wood!) - but the little Rotax-powered slick
glass jobs giving you 120 knots on 4gph have a certain appeal! That is a
lot of flying for cheap.

(120K is fast enough - much more than that and I won't be logging any
time...)

I do wish you could just buy a Sport Cruiser or Cirrus LSA or Phantom with a
basic IFR stack certified for IFR. That would be nice.

On 7/30/07 8:10 AM, in article , "Gig
601XL Builder" <wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net> wrote:

> Office 2004 Test Drive User wrote:
>> Here are my qualifications:
>>
>> - Two-seat
>>
>> - Either RTF or the type of on-site builder assist where the aircraft
>> is flyable in under a month!
>>
>> - Rotax 912 powered (no other modern aircraft engine has impressed me
>> enough with its reliability).
>>
>> - IFR capable - a must.
>>
>> - Glass cockpit of some sort (prefer GRT).
>>
>> - Under a $100K or thereabouts all-up.
>>

>> I hold a PPL-IA and instrument capability for light IFR is a must for
>> me. Currently own an IFR 152 which will be sold along, with, alas, my
>> RV-9A QB kit. Building is just not in the cards for me at this time.
>>
>> After a few years of maintaining a Lycoming, I want to fly behind a
>> Rotax - it's about that simple. I also want something a bit faster
>> than 90 knots and getting experience with a glass cockpit is
>> something I'm looking to do.
>>
>> So, it can be a "LSA" or an experimental - I don't care. It just
>> needs to be flyable within a very short time after its purchase, with
>> my help or without.
>>
>> The Aveo Phantom I saw yesterday at OSH (well, not the plane) is the
>> front-runner, but as yet unproven. Am interested in pursuing all
>> leads and would love suggestions on aircraft to explore.
>
> The Zentih 601XLi RTF built by AMD fits with the exception of the engine. It
> uses an O-200 or 235 (can't remember off the top of my head.) Dynon EFIS and
> EMS. IFR certified.
>
> If you are really anti Lyc/Cont engines don't rule out the Jabiru 3300.

Lou
July 31st 07, 12:11 PM
So, what would you take for the RV9A?

Gig 601XL Builder
July 31st 07, 03:12 PM
Office 2004 Test Drive User wrote:
> Not interested in the Zenith. That's why (partly why) I said Rotax.

Sorry to hear that, since that's the only IFR certified RTF LSA I can think
of. Do you mind if I as your problem with Zenith?

Curt Geske[_2_]
August 1st 07, 04:54 PM
Office 2004 Test Drive User wrote:
> Not interested in the Zenith. That's why (partly why) I said Rotax.
>
> I believe I miscalculated anyway - there are no IFR-certified factory LSAs.
> Experimental class only, and that means 51% rule. And no ultra-fast (1
> month) on-site factory build assist programs that I know of (yet, at least).
<Snip>

I might be wrong, but the Tecnam Bravo and Tecnam Sierra, Rotax powered,
can be IFR-certified. Google "LSAWest" and "Tecnam".

Andrew Sarangan
August 1st 07, 11:43 PM
On Jul 30, 8:30 pm, Office 2004 Test Drive User >
wrote:
> Not interested in the Zenith. That's why (partly why) I said Rotax.
>
> I believe I miscalculated anyway - there are no IFR-certified factory LSAs.

Yes there are. Our club has a Zodiac CH601, which is factory built and
IFR equipped LSA.

Google