PDA

View Full Version : Junior Worlds at Reiti

Bill Daniels
July 31st 07, 07:12 PM
I assume some of you are following the Junior Worlds competition in Reiti.

I have found a free demo of "Silent Wings" viewer that can be downloaded
free.
(Google "Silent Wings viewer") You will also need to download the Italy
scenery. Silent Wings Viewer can play back IGC files against the terrain
around Reiti as the pilot saw it from the cockpit. The Reiti terrain is
mountains and the flights are spectacular.

Some flights are on OLC. You can also get ICG logs before they are uploaded
to OLC by looking at the results page on the Junior Worlds web page. Click
on the contest number to get a TXT file of the IGC log. Copy and paste the
text
to Wordpad then save it and rename it with the IGC extension.

Bill Daniels

Jay Ts
July 31st 07, 10:07 PM
Bill Daniels wrote:
> I assume some of you are following the Junior Worlds competition in
> Reiti.

No, but thanks. Here are some links to make things easier for others:

> I have found a free demo of "Silent Wings" viewer that can be downloaded
> free. (Google "Silent Wings viewer")

Silent Wings Viewer:
http://www.silentwings.no/article/articleview/106/1/1/

Download page:
http://www.silentwings.no/article/articleview/105/1/9/

http://www.silentwings.no/article/articleview/84/1/11/

> Some flights are on OLC.

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/
getScoring.htmlscoringId=1&last

(sorry about newline.) Is there a better page
to view the Rieti results? This page is just a
huge list of "everything".

> You can also get ICG logs before they are
> uploaded to OLC by looking at the results page
> on the Junior Worlds web page.

Much easier than going to OLC!

http://www.wgcrieti.it/jwgc2007/results.asp

> Click on the contest number to get a TXT file of the IGC log.

(Click on one of the "Daily" link, then a CN.)

> Copy and paste the text
> to Wordpad then save it and rename it with the IGC extension.

Far simpler: Right-click the link, and select Save As... from
the popup menu, to save the .igc file.

I'm going to try all of this. But what I thought was really
cool about the Silent Wings Viewer is its ability to display
flights in real time (minus a little delay :) using vPos.
Watching a race that way would be fun. I haven't tried the
viewer yet, but in multiplayer, the SW simulator allows each
pilot to change the view to to a cockpit of another plane.

Jay Ts

Google