PDA

View Full Version : US AG was a Glider Pilot

J a c k
August 1st 07, 11:57 PM
From an interview found online:

---------------------------------------

You went to the Air Force Academy, but you didn't stay there, did you?

Alberto Gonzales: No, I didn't. I was there for two years.

The (Air Force) Academy was tough for me because there's such a
concentration on engineering and physics and chemistry, and my
strengths lie in English and history and political science and law and
government. And so I did well in terms of being on the dean's list
every semester, but I struggled. It was hard. I had to work very, very
hard. I was the freshman class council president, and so I assumed
responsibility early while I was at the Academy. Because I did as well
as I did, I was able to participate in a gliding program during one
summer, so I learned how to fly gliders. I mean it was a great experience.

But I started thinking things over, probably towards the end of my
freshman year or the beginning of my sophomore year. I really began
wondering whether or not I should pursue a military career. I realized
as I was taking some of my history courses and political science
courses at the Academy, this was something that I had more of an
interest in. And so I thought about applying to a school, Rice
University in Houston, and this was a school I did used to dream about
attending when I was a small boy, because when I was 12 and 13, I got
a job selling soft drinks at their football games, Rice University
football games. And I would watch the students stroll back to the
campus, their dorm, and I would dream about what it would be like to
be a student there. But that was it, it was just a dream. But when I
was at the Academy and began thinking about my future, I sort of put
it in God's hands and applied to transfer to one school, and that was
Rice. And if I got accepted, then I knew it was meant to be to go back
home to Houston and maybe pursue a career in law, and if I wasn't
accepted, then I would stay at the Academy -- and hopefully at the
time, I was very interested in becoming a fighter pilot -- and so I
was accepted, and then I transferred to Rice University.

http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/printmember/gon0int-1

=======================================

Jack

Herb
August 2nd 07, 07:18 PM
On Aug 1, 5:57 pm, J a c k > wrote:
> From an interview found online:
>
> ---------------------------------------
>
> You went to the Air Force Academy, but you didn't stay there, did you?
>
> Alberto Gonzales: No, I didn't. I was there for two years.
>
> The (Air Force) Academy was tough for me because there's such a
> concentration on engineering and physics and chemistry, and my
> strengths lie in English and history and political science and law and
> government. And so I did well in terms of being on the dean's list
> every semester, but I struggled. It was hard. I had to work very, very
> hard. I was the freshman class council president, and so I assumed
> responsibility early while I was at the Academy. Because I did as well
> as I did, I was able to participate in a gliding program during one
> summer, so I learned how to fly gliders. I mean it was a great experience.
>
> But I started thinking things over, probably towards the end of my
> freshman year or the beginning of my sophomore year. I really began
> wondering whether or not I should pursue a military career. I realized
> as I was taking some of my history courses and political science
> courses at the Academy, this was something that I had more of an
> interest in. And so I thought about applying to a school, Rice
> University in Houston, and this was a school I did used to dream about
> attending when I was a small boy, because when I was 12 and 13, I got
> a job selling soft drinks at their football games, Rice University
> football games. And I would watch the students stroll back to the
> campus, their dorm, and I would dream about what it would be like to
> be a student there. But that was it, it was just a dream. But when I
> was at the Academy and began thinking about my future, I sort of put
> it in God's hands and applied to transfer to one school, and that was
> Rice. And if I got accepted, then I knew it was meant to be to go back
> home to Houston and maybe pursue a career in law, and if I wasn't
> accepted, then I would stay at the Academy -- and hopefully at the
> time, I was very interested in becoming a fighter pilot -- and so I
> was accepted, and then I transferred to Rice University.
>
> http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/printmember/gon0int-1
>
> =======================================
>
> Jack

.... so Alberto, our Attorney General, was a glider pilot! Now that
makes him so much more sympathetic and trustworthy to me. There's
just no way he could be lying to congress...
At least he has a nice hobby to go back to once he is done saving the
country.

Herb

shawn
August 9th 07, 10:56 PM
Herb wrote:

> ... so Alberto, our Attorney General, was a glider pilot! Now that
> makes him so much more sympathetic and trustworthy to me. There's
> just no way he could be lying to congress...
> At least he has a nice hobby to go back to once he is done saving the
> country.

....or serving time ;-)

Shawn

Kloudy via AviationKB.com
August 10th 07, 11:23 PM
shawn wrote:
>> ... so Alberto, our Attorney General, was a glider pilot! Now that
>> makes him so much more sympathetic and trustworthy to me. There's
>> just no way he could be lying to congress...
>> At least he has a nice hobby to go back to once he is done saving the
>> country.
>
>...or serving time ;-)
>
>Shawn
I don't think any Bush's minions do time...for ANYTHING.

Google