PDA

View Full Version : Good Garmin 396 Mount - Cessna..

Dan[_1_]
August 5th 07, 01:01 AM
All,

My flying club has a 98 Cessna 182. Unfortunately, the yoke mounted
chart clip is in the way of the standard Garmin 396 mounting bracket.
This chart clip is not removable easily enough that I'd want to remove
and re-mount it everytime I fly (it's a shared aircraft... If it were
mine, I'd just permanently remove the thing.)

I am considering the purchase of a RAM mount "RAM-B-121-GA7". Does
anyone have any experience with this thing on Cessna Yokes? Can I
come _under_ the yoke with the bracket? Do I need to order any
accessories to make it work, or will that part # include everything I
need?

This might work good on the Comanche yoke also, since I have to have
the GPS slightly tilted due to the full crossmember at the top of the
yoke, and AP disconnect/PTT "plate"...

Unfortunately, my local shop does not have the RAM part in stock, and
it's a little difficult to know for sure what to order on something
like this if you can't lay eyes on it.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Dan

john smith[_2_]
August 6th 07, 04:31 AM
In article m>,
Dan > wrote:

> I am considering the purchase of a RAM mount "RAM-B-121-GA7". Does
> anyone have any experience with this thing on Cessna Yokes? Can I
> come _under_ the yoke with the bracket? Do I need to order any
> accessories to make it work, or will that part # include everything I
> need?

I use the suction cup mount and attach it to the side of the windscreen.
This brings it up and closer to eyelevel and into my line of sight as I
look outside.

Cubdriver
August 6th 07, 11:13 AM
Not quite the same, to be sure, but here are solutions for the Cub:
www.pipercubforum.com/garmin.htm

I rent, so for me the G Force suction cup has been the solution.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
from HarperCollins on August 21 www.flyingtigersbook.com

Paul kgyy
August 6th 07, 03:23 PM
I've used a suction cup mount for several years, and it mostly works
fine.

However, it has fallen off a couple of times. I would hate for that
to happen in the middle of an ifr approach so am looking for an
alternative.

john smith[_2_]
August 7th 07, 04:19 AM
In article . com>,
Paul kgyy > wrote:

> I've used a suction cup mount for several years, and it mostly works
> fine.
> > However, it has fallen off a couple of times. I would hate for that
> to happen in the middle of an ifr approach so am looking for an
> alternative.

As long as you keep it wet, it will stay in place.
On a hot day, it may be possible for the water between the window and
the suction cup may evaporate.

Russ and/or Martha Oppenheim
August 8th 07, 05:59 AM
Don't know if this is comparable or not. I have a 296 and fly a rented
Cessna 152 or 172. I have a beanbag bracket which just sits on top of the
dash and holds it. It's very secure, has never fallen off, and I can use it
on what ever I'm flying.

Martha

"Dan" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> All,
>
> My flying club has a 98 Cessna 182. Unfortunately, the yoke mounted
> chart clip is in the way of the standard Garmin 396 mounting bracket.
> This chart clip is not removable easily enough that I'd want to remove
> and re-mount it everytime I fly (it's a shared aircraft... If it were
> mine, I'd just permanently remove the thing.)
>
> I am considering the purchase of a RAM mount "RAM-B-121-GA7". Does
> anyone have any experience with this thing on Cessna Yokes? Can I
> come _under_ the yoke with the bracket? Do I need to order any
> accessories to make it work, or will that part # include everything I
> need?
>
> This might work good on the Comanche yoke also, since I have to have
> the GPS slightly tilted due to the full crossmember at the top of the
> yoke, and AP disconnect/PTT "plate"...
>
> Unfortunately, my local shop does not have the RAM part in stock, and
> it's a little difficult to know for sure what to order on something
> like this if you can't lay eyes on it.
>
> Any advice is welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

john smith[_2_]
August 8th 07, 03:22 PM
In article >,
"Russ and/or Martha Oppenheim" > wrote:

> Don't know if this is comparable or not. I have a 296 and fly a rented
> Cessna 152 or 172. I have a beanbag bracket which just sits on top of the
> dash and holds it. It's very secure, has never fallen off, and I can use it
> on what ever I'm flying.

You don't fly in much turbulence, do you?
Even the suction cup mount can come loose when the bumps reach a given
level.
The most solid mount is the yoke mount, it remains firmly attached
during the roughest of rides.

B A R R Y[_2_]
August 8th 07, 03:39 PM
john smith wrote:
> The most solid mount is the yoke mount, it remains firmly attached
> during the roughest of rides.

The yoke mount hits my leg.

The best mounts I've seen are Ram mounts. My current installation has
the Ram mount clamped to a support brace, holding the GPS slightly above
the glareshield at the far left side of the panel.

Newps
August 8th 07, 04:58 PM
B A R R Y wrote:
> john smith wrote:
>
>> The most solid mount is the yoke mount, it remains firmly attached
>> during the roughest of rides.
>

> The yoke mount hits my leg.
>
> The best mounts I've seen are Ram mounts. My current installation has
> the Ram mount clamped to a support brace, holding the GPS slightly above
> the glareshield at the far left side of the panel.

Check out these mounts. I have one in my Bo. Absolute top of the line
quality.

http://www.angerole.com/

Peter Clark
August 8th 07, 10:20 PM
On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 14:39:18 GMT, B A R R Y >
wrote:

>john smith wrote:
>> The most solid mount is the yoke mount, it remains firmly attached
>> during the roughest of rides.
>

>The yoke mount hits my leg.
>
>The best mounts I've seen are Ram mounts. My current installation has
>the Ram mount clamped to a support brace, holding the GPS slightly above
>the glareshield at the far left side of the panel.

There's quite the assortment of Ram mounts at
http://www.e-mount.com/page_results.php?uid=723

The new one that clamps to the glareshield looks interesting.

Dave[_5_]
August 9th 07, 01:43 AM
> Check out these mounts. I have one in my Bo. Absolute top of the line
> quality.
>
> http://www.angerole.com/

I saw this one on eBay - looks solid (if you have a spare instrument
hole).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Garmin-496-GPS-Adjustable-Instrument-Panel-Mount_W0QQitemZ140145566184QQihZ004QQcategoryZ9097 5QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

David Johnson

Morgans[_2_]
August 9th 07, 02:12 AM
"Newps" < wrote

> Check out these mounts. I have one in my Bo. Absolute top of the line
> quality.
>
> http://www.angerole.com/

It seems as many of their models end up covering a good bit of real estate
on the panel, and making some instruments virtually disappear behind them.

Do you find this to be a problem?
--
Jim in NC

Newps
August 9th 07, 04:33 AM
On my Bo not at all as it sits just on top of the swing over yoke. On a
cessna it might but that's going to be a problem with whatever yoke
mount you choose.

Morgans wrote:
> "Newps" < wrote
>

>>Check out these mounts. I have one in my Bo. Absolute top of the line
>>quality.
>>
>>http://www.angerole.com/
>

> It seems as many of their models end up covering a good bit of real estate
> on the panel, and making some instruments virtually disappear behind them.
>
> Do you find this to be a problem?

Google