PDA

View Full Version : Windows into the Class A airspace

August 10th 07, 04:12 PM
I know that several glider operations in the US have negotiated "wave
windows" to allow gliders to fly in wave above 18,000 feet. At Jean,
we sometimes get thermals (near Mt. Charleston) that extend well into
the Class A. (though how far, I don't know, since I can't go there!)
What is the process to get a waiver from the FAA, and how difficult
is it? I'd like to get my diamond altitude, but have limited
opportunity to travel.

TIA
Jim

Frank Whiteley
August 10th 07, 09:12 PM
On Aug 10, 9:12 am, wrote:
> I know that several glider operations in the US have negotiated "wave
> windows" to allow gliders to fly in wave above 18,000 feet. At Jean,
> we sometimes get thermals (near Mt. Charleston) that extend well into
> the Class A. (though how far, I don't know, since I can't go there!)
> What is the process to get a waiver from the FAA, and how difficult
> is it? I'd like to get my diamond altitude, but have limited
> opportunity to travel.
>
> TIA
> Jim

Negotiate with your local ARTCC

Sample doc
http://www.soarcsa.org/wave_agreement.htm

August 10th 07, 09:18 PM
On Aug 10, 8:12 am, wrote:
> I know that several glider operations in the US have negotiated "wave
> windows" to allow gliders to fly in wave above 18,000 feet. At Jean,
> we sometimes get thermals (near Mt. Charleston) that extend well into
> the Class A. (though how far, I don't know, since I can't go there!)
> What is the process to get a waiver from the FAA, and how difficult
> is it? I'd like to get my diamond altitude, but have limited
> opportunity to travel.
>
> TIA
> Jim

This link describes the LOA we set up in the Northwest:

http://www.nwi.net/~blanikam/css/lift.htm

Tom

Ian Cant
August 10th 07, 09:43 PM
Do any existing LOAs for wave windows allow for non-transponder
flights ?

Ian

At 20:24 10 August 2007, wrote:
>On Aug 10, 8:12 am, wrote:
>> I know that several glider operations in the US have
>>negotiated 'wave
>> windows' to allow gliders to fly in wave above 18,000
>>feet. At Jean,
>> we sometimes get thermals (near Mt. Charleston) that
>>extend well into
>> the Class A. (though how far, I don't know, since
>>I can't go there!)
>> What is the process to get a waiver from the FAA,
>>and how difficult
>> is it? I'd like to get my diamond altitude, but have
>>limited
>> opportunity to travel.
>>
>> TIA
>> Jim
>
>This link describes the LOA we set up in the Northwest:
>
>http://www.nwi.net/~blanikam/css/lift.htm
>
>Tom

Ian Cant
August 10th 07, 09:44 PM

At 20:24 10 August 2007, wrote:
>On Aug 10, 8:12 am, wrote:
>> I know that several glider operations in the US have
>>negotiated 'wave
>> windows' to allow gliders to fly in wave above 18,000
>>feet. At Jean,
>> we sometimes get thermals (near Mt. Charleston) that
>>extend well into
>> the Class A. (though how far, I don't know, since
>>I can't go there!)
>> What is the process to get a waiver from the FAA,
>>and how difficult
>> is it? I'd like to get my diamond altitude, but have
>>limited
>> opportunity to travel.
>>
>> TIA
>> Jim
>
>This link describes the LOA we set up in the Northwest:
>
>http://www.nwi.net/~blanikam/css/lift.htm
>
>Tom

August 10th 07, 09:46 PM
On Aug 10, 1:44 pm, Ian Cant >
wrote:
> Do any existing LOAs for wave windows allow for non-transponder
> flights ?

Absolutely. The ones I am aware of in the Sierras don't require a
transponder.

Not that I don't fly without a transponder.

Darryl

> Ian
>
> At 20:24 10 August 2007, wrote:
>
> >On Aug 10, 8:12 am, wrote:
> >> I know that several glider operations in the US have
> >>negotiated 'wave
> >> windows' to allow gliders to fly in wave above 18,000
> >>feet. At Jean,
> >> we sometimes get thermals (near Mt. Charleston) that
> >>extend well into
> >> the Class A. (though how far, I don't know, since
> >>I can't go there!)
> >> What is the process to get a waiver from the FAA,
> >>and how difficult
> >> is it? I'd like to get my diamond altitude, but have
> >>limited
> >> opportunity to travel.
>
> >> TIA
> >> Jim
>
> >This link describes the LOA we set up in the Northwest:
>
> >http://www.nwi.net/~blanikam/css/lift.htm
>
> >Tom

CindyB
August 11th 07, 10:32 AM
It is easier to travel "All the Way" to California City, and use our
window.
But sure, you can call your FSDO and start the process.

Better that you discuss the process with the Jean club first, since
they
have gone through LOA creation for your local windows through the
Class B.
SSA Regional Director Jay McDaniel would be a good place to start.

Windows at Cal City and at Minden both allow flying Class A without
transponders, and others may as well. Cal City has a couple different
LOAs
depending on whether the military is flying here or not. We can joint
use WITH the
TXPs, or fly without when the Dept of Defense boys are standing down.
To prevent confusing glider pilots, or ATC, the Region 12 LOAs require
pilots to
have a ground briefing from the FBO, and that the windows are only
opened/closed
by the FBO from the ground.

Two pilots flew Sierra wave here last Sunday during XC flights from
Cal City.
Wave let Gary Ittner get home, and Marty Eiler post a pile of OLC
miles.

Soar safely,

Cindy B

On Aug 10, 8:12 am, wrote:
> I know that several glider operations in the US have negotiated "wave
> windows" to allow gliders to fly in wave above 18,000 feet. At Jean,
> we sometimes get thermals (near Mt. Charleston) that extend well into
> the Class A. (though how far, I don't know, since I can't go there!)
> What is the process to get a waiver from the FAA, and how difficult
> is it? I'd like to get my diamond altitude, but have limited
> opportunity to travel.
>
> TIA
> Jim

Google