PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend a source for designing hinged wings?

Tim Schoenfelder
August 25th 03, 11:24 PM
I'm interested in implementing a hinged wing on my to-be-built homebuilt
airplane.

I'm looking for design specs/criteria/criteques describing the
strengths, weaknesses, reliability, and costs of the most used/popular
techniques.

Any good sources?

Tim Schoenfelder

Corrie
August 26th 03, 03:58 PM
Same here, Tim.

In metal, look at the Thorp/Sunderland S-18 http://www.t18.net/ And of
course, the Grumman Cats of WWII. ;->

In wood, the Cvjetcovic CA-65 http://www.hinkleymall.com/ca65.html has
a folding-wing option. There are not a lot of them around, though the
design dates back to the 60's. Not sure why - it seems to be a decent
design. But there seems to be more support for the Piel CP-301/328
Emeraude

Falconar http://www.falconaravia.com/ sells plans for a 3-piece wing
for the Emeraude, which allegedly can be built as a folding wing. It
adds about 40 lbs, and is non-trivial to operate. I'm thinking about
it, but would probably modify the design to split the flap (so as not
to have to remove it) and add Thorp-style aileron connections (to
avoid having to re-rig the wing). As I said, non-trivial. Check the
archives of the Emerauder group on yahoo. Also look at this newsgroup
a month or so back for a thread on high-strength hinges.

The Bowers FlyBaby also has a folding wing. Pete Bowers could set it
up or take it down in about 15 minutes, according to
http://home1.gte.net/ikvamar/flybaby/folding.htm/

The Evans VP has a removable wing, but it's not a folding wing. You
have to disconnect the front and rear spars and four braces, not to
mention the aileron cables.

I'm not aware of any folding-wing designs in glass or carbon.

Corrie
http://www.itasca.net/~corrie/homebuilt_plane_blog.htm

Tim Schoenfelder > wrote in message news:<U0w2b.258280$YN5.176395@sccrnsc01>...
> I'm interested in implementing a hinged wing on my to-be-built homebuilt
> airplane.
>
> I'm looking for design specs/criteria/criteques describing the
> strengths, weaknesses, reliability, and costs of the most used/popular
> techniques.
>
> Any good sources?
>
> Tim Schoenfelder

nafod40
August 26th 03, 04:04 PM
Tim Schoenfelder wrote:
> I'm interested in implementing a hinged wing on my to-be-built homebuilt
> airplane.
>
> I'm looking for design specs/criteria/criteques describing the
> strengths, weaknesses, reliability, and costs of the most used/popular
> techniques.
>
> Any good sources?

Do a google on "glider" and "folding wing". There are a couple of
examples. I know the Stemme motorglider has folding wings.

Mike

Tim Schoenfelder
August 27th 03, 01:34 PM
Corrie wrote:
> Same here, Tim.
>
> In metal, look at the Thorp/Sunderland S-18 http://www.t18.net/ And of
> course, the Grumman Cats of WWII. ;->
>
> In wood, the Cvjetcovic CA-65 http://www.hinkleymall.com/ca65.html has
> a folding-wing option. There are not a lot of them around, though the
> design dates back to the 60's. Not sure why - it seems to be a decent
> design. But there seems to be more support for the Piel CP-301/328
> Emeraude
>
> Falconar http://www.falconaravia.com/ sells plans for a 3-piece wing
> for the Emeraude, which allegedly can be built as a folding wing. It
> adds about 40 lbs, and is non-trivial to operate. I'm thinking about
> it, but would probably modify the design to split the flap (so as not
> to have to remove it) and add Thorp-style aileron connections (to
> avoid having to re-rig the wing). As I said, non-trivial. Check the
> archives of the Emerauder group on yahoo. Also look at this newsgroup
> a month or so back for a thread on high-strength hinges.
>
> The Bowers FlyBaby also has a folding wing. Pete Bowers could set it
> up or take it down in about 15 minutes, according to
> http://home1.gte.net/ikvamar/flybaby/folding.htm/
>
> The Evans VP has a removable wing, but it's not a folding wing. You
> have to disconnect the front and rear spars and four braces, not to
> mention the aileron cables.
>

> I'm not aware of any folding-wing designs in glass or carbon.
>

> Corrie
> http://www.itasca.net/~corrie/homebuilt_plane_blog.htm
>

> Tim Schoenfelder > wrote in message news:<U0w2b.258280$YN5.176395@sccrnsc01>...
>
>>I'm interested in implementing a hinged wing on my to-be-built homebuilt
>>airplane.
>>
>>I'm looking for design specs/criteria/criteques describing the
>>strengths, weaknesses, reliability, and costs of the most used/popular
>>techniques.
>>
>>Any good sources?
>>
>>Tim Schoenfelder

Do a google on "glider" and "folding wing". There are a couple of
examples. I know the Stemme motorglider has folding wings.

Mike

Corrie and Mike,

Thanks!

I really appreciate your advice..

Tim Schoenfelder
August 27th 03, 02:02 PM
Corrie wrote:
> Same here, Tim.
>
> In metal, look at the Thorp/Sunderland S-18 http://www.t18.net/ And of
> course, the Grumman Cats of WWII. ;->
>
> In wood, the Cvjetcovic CA-65 http://www.hinkleymall.com/ca65.html has
> a folding-wing option. There are not a lot of them around, though the
> design dates back to the 60's.

Pretty Plane. Clean looking design.

Not sure why - it seems to be a decent
> design. But there seems to be more support for the Piel CP-301/328
> Emeraude
>
> Falconar http://www.falconaravia.com/ sells plans for a 3-piece wing
> for the Emeraude, which allegedly can be built as a folding wing. It
> adds about 40 lbs, and is non-trivial to operate. I'm thinking about
> it, but would probably modify the design to split the flap (so as not
> to have to remove it) and add Thorp-style aileron connections (to
> avoid having to re-rig the wing). As I said, non-trivial. Check the
> archives of the Emerauder group on yahoo. Also look at this newsgroup
> a month or so back for a thread on high-strength hinges.
>
> The Bowers FlyBaby also has a folding wing. Pete Bowers could set it
> up or take it down in about 15 minutes, according to
> http://home1.gte.net/ikvamar/flybaby/folding.htm/

This link came up as bad.

> The Evans VP has a removable wing, but it's not a folding wing. You
> have to disconnect the front and rear spars and four braces, not to
> mention the aileron cables.
>

> I'm not aware of any folding-wing designs in glass or carbon.
>

> Corrie
> http://www.itasca.net/~corrie/homebuilt_plane_blog.htm

Cory, Nice website..

Come to think of it, I should state my objectives also.

I'm interested in building a sportplane (not much more weight than an
ultralight) that I can fold wings up on (safety is a concern with this)
and put into my garage.

I'm interested in a sportplane type/size of aircraft from the standpoint
of time in both building and licensing. I don't think that I wish to
spend several thousand hours(I don't have that much time) building it
like some of the composites and more complicated metal planes take.

Depending on where I live here in a couple of years and how much I get
out to enjoy it, storing it in my garage will hopefully/probably lower
my cost of ownership meaning that I'll fly more often and longer.

My objectives are similiar to those that you state on your website.
However, I do have relatives a state away that I'd probably fly to visit
with it.

Tim

Rick Pellicciotti
August 27th 03, 02:42 PM
> Corrie wrote:
> > Same here, Tim.
> >
> > In metal, look at the Thorp/Sunderland S-18 http://www.t18.net/ And of
> > course, the Grumman Cats of WWII. ;->
> >
> > In wood, the Cvjetcovic CA-65 http://www.hinkleymall.com/ca65.html has
> > a folding-wing option. There are not a lot of them around, though the
> > design dates back to the 60's.
>
> Pretty Plane. Clean looking design.
>
> Not sure why - it seems to be a decent
> > design. But there seems to be more support for the Piel CP-301/328
> > Emeraude
> >
> > Falconar http://www.falconaravia.com/ sells plans for a 3-piece wing
> > for the Emeraude, which allegedly can be built as a folding wing. It
> > adds about 40 lbs, and is non-trivial to operate. I'm thinking about
> > it, but would probably modify the design to split the flap (so as not
> > to have to remove it) and add Thorp-style aileron connections (to
> > avoid having to re-rig the wing). As I said, non-trivial. Check the
> > archives of the Emerauder group on yahoo. Also look at this newsgroup
> > a month or so back for a thread on high-strength hinges.
> >
> > The Bowers FlyBaby also has a folding wing. Pete Bowers could set it
> > up or take it down in about 15 minutes, according to
> > http://home1.gte.net/ikvamar/flybaby/folding.htm/
> >
> This link came up as bad.
>
> > The Evans VP has a removable wing, but it's not a folding wing. You
> > have to disconnect the front and rear spars and four braces, not to
> > mention the aileron cables.
> >

> > I'm not aware of any folding-wing designs in glass or carbon.
> >

> > Corrie
> > http://www.itasca.net/~corrie/homebuilt_plane_blog.htm
>
> Cory, Nice website..
>
> Come to think of it, I should state my objectives also.
>
> I'm interested in building a sportplane (not much more weight than an
> ultralight) that I can fold wings up on (safety is a concern with this)
> and put into my garage.
>
> I'm interested in a sportplane type/size of aircraft from the standpoint
> of time in both building and licensing. I don't think that I wish to
> spend several thousand hours(I don't have that much time) building it
> like some of the composites and more complicated metal planes take.
>
> Depending on where I live here in a couple of years and how much I get
> out to enjoy it, storing it in my garage will hopefully/probably lower
> my cost of ownership meaning that I'll fly more often and longer.
>
> My objectives are similiar to those that you state on your website.
> However, I do have relatives a state away that I'd probably fly to visit
> with it.
>
> Tim
These are all good suggestions but if you are building a light plane you
might want to take a look at a couple of others. The Kitfox has elegant
folding wings:

http://www.skystar.com/images/wingsfolded1.JPG

The RANS company has several models of airplanes with folding wings. The
S-6 Coyote II is just one example:

http://www.rans.com/3V/s-6es.htm

Rick Pellicciotti, Belle Aire Tours, Inc.
http://www.belleairetours.com

BllFs6
August 27th 03, 02:55 PM
Hmmm

If you JUST wanna fly...and arent really interested in going very far or very
fast consider a gyrocopter......faster to build, cheaper to buy, easier to
trailer and store....plus they can take off in short distances and can almost
land/stop on a dime (comes in handy for emergency lands I would imagine...)

take care

BLL

Corrie
August 27th 03, 06:52 PM
"Rick Pellicciotti" > wrote in message news:<3f4cb17c$1@ham>...

Quite right, Rick. I completely left out the tube-fuselage and high-wing designs.

> > Tim
> These are all good suggestions but if you are building a light plane you
> might want to take a look at a couple of others. The Kitfox has elegant
> folding wings:
>
> http://www.skystar.com/images/wingsfolded1.JPG
>
> The RANS company has several models of airplanes with folding wings. The
> S-6 Coyote II is just one example:
>
> http://www.rans.com/3V/s-6es.htm
>
> Rick Pellicciotti, Belle Aire Tours, Inc.
> http://www.belleairetours.com

Ron Wanttaja
August 28th 03, 02:07 AM
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:02:07 GMT, Tim Schoenfelder >
wrote:

>> The Bowers FlyBaby also has a folding wing. Pete Bowers could set it
>> up or take it down in about 15 minutes, according to
>> http://home1.gte.net/ikvamar/flybaby/folding.htm/
>>
>This link came up as bad.

Extra slash at the end. Try:

http://home1.gte.net/ikvamar/flybaby/folding.htm