PDA

View Full Version : Soaring in Owens Valley

Tuno
August 21st 07, 12:02 AM
Team Tuno did a vehicular excursion through Southern California over
the weekend which included the stretch of Hwy 395 from Lee Vining
south through Bishop and Inyokern.

I'd heard of Owens Valley a few times in soaring write-ups, but
driving through it, I was amazed at the geology, with the Sierra
Nevada on the west side and the White and Inyo ranges on the east.
Someone, I can't recall who or where, wrote a piece somewhere
specifically about soaring this valley and its ranges. (It talked
about convergence zones in the valley.) Can someone point me to the
article? I tried Google'ing for it but came up empty.

Also, is there a commercial gliding operation at Bishop? I recall JJ
mentioning Region 11 contests there, but the SSA "where to fly" page
doesn't have anything for Bishop.

Curious 2NO

JS
August 21st 07, 01:55 AM
The Owens Valley and surrounding area is beautiful from the air and
ground. Flying conditions can hit the extremes of truly outstanding or
absolute hell.
Bishop may be able to provide tows. Call Rod at Hangar One Aero
Service 760 873-7500. It's not just a tow service, so they may be busy
on other projects.
Jim

Tim Taylor
August 21st 07, 02:18 AM
On Aug 20, 5:02 pm, Tuno > wrote:
> Team Tuno did a vehicular excursion through Southern California over
> the weekend which included the stretch of Hwy 395 from Lee Vining
> south through Bishop and Inyokern.
>
> I'd heard of Owens Valley a few times in soaring write-ups, but
> driving through it, I was amazed at the geology, with the Sierra
> Nevada on the west side and the White and Inyo ranges on the east.
> Someone, I can't recall who or where, wrote a piece somewhere
> specifically about soaring this valley and its ranges. (It talked
> about convergence zones in the valley.) Can someone point me to the
> article? I tried Google'ing for it but came up empty.
>
> Also, is there a commercial gliding operation at Bishop? I recall JJ
> mentioning Region 11 contests there, but the SSA "where to fly" page
oug> doesn't have anything for Bishop.

> Curious 2NO

I can't find the reference, but I think you are looking for an article
written by Carl Herold. I reme

Tim Taylor
August 21st 07, 02:21 AM
On Aug 20, 5:02 pm, Tuno > wrote:
> Team Tuno did a vehicular excursion through Southern California over
> the weekend which included the stretch of Hwy 395 from Lee Vining
> south through Bishop and Inyokern.
>
> I'd heard of Owens Valley a few times in soaring write-ups, but
> driving through it, I was amazed at the geology, with the Sierra
> Nevada on the west side and the White and Inyo ranges on the east.
> Someone, I can't recall who or where, wrote a piece somewhere
> specifically about soaring this valley and its ranges. (It talked
> about convergence zones in the valley.) Can someone point me to the
> article? I tried Google'ing for it but came up empty.
>
> Also, is there a commercial gliding operation at Bishop? I recall JJ
> mentioning Region 11 contests there, but the SSA "where to fly" page
> doesn't have anything for Bishop.
>
> Curious 2NO

Sorry touchy keyboard sent that be fore I was done.

I can't find the reference, but I think you are looking for an article
written by Carl Herold. I remember he wrote about the different air
masses coming from some of the side valleys.

Eric Greenwell
August 21st 07, 03:48 AM
Tim Taylor wrote:
> On Aug 20, 5:02 pm, Tuno > wrote:
>> Team Tuno did a vehicular excursion through Southern California over
>> the weekend which included the stretch of Hwy 395 from Lee Vining
>> south through Bishop and Inyokern.
>>
>> I'd heard of Owens Valley a few times in soaring write-ups, but
>> driving through it, I was amazed at the geology, with the Sierra
>> Nevada on the west side and the White and Inyo ranges on the east.
>> Someone, I can't recall who or where, wrote a piece somewhere
>> specifically about soaring this valley and its ranges. (It talked
>> about convergence zones in the valley.) Can someone point me to the
>> article? I tried Google'ing for it but came up empty.
>>
>> Also, is there a commercial gliding operation at Bishop? I recall JJ
>> mentioning Region 11 contests there, but the SSA "where to fly" page
>> doesn't have anything for Bishop.
>>
>> Curious 2NO
>

> Sorry touchy keyboard sent that be fore I was done.
>
> I can't find the reference, but I think you are looking for an article
> written by Carl Herold. I remember he wrote about the different air
> masses coming from some of the side valleys.

Have you tried the Soaring Magazine index? See

http://soaringweb.org/Soaring_Index

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA
* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org

Paul Hanson
August 21st 07, 06:35 AM
At 23:06 20 August 2007, Tuno wrote:
>Team Tuno did a vehicular excursion through Southern
>California over
>the weekend which included the stretch of Hwy 395 from
>Lee Vining
>south through Bishop and Inyokern.
>
>I'd heard of Owens Valley a few times in soaring write-ups,
>but
>driving through it, I was amazed at the geology, with
>the Sierra
>Nevada on the west side and the White and Inyo ranges
>on the east.
>Someone, I can't recall who or where, wrote a piece
>somewhere
>specifically about soaring this valley and its ranges.
>(It talked
>about convergence zones in the valley.) Can someone
>point me to the
>article? I tried Google'ing for it but came up empty.
>
>Also, is there a commercial gliding operation at Bishop?
>I recall JJ
>mentioning Region 11 contests there, but the SSA 'where
>to fly' page
>doesn't have anything for Bishop.
>
>Curious 2NO

Tuno, you may still be able to get in with the Soarfari
group, which has a Lone Pine event scheduled for Aug
31-Sept 1st. Here is a link to the site:
http://www.soarfari.com/2007schedule.htm
The group is $5 to join, and the Lone Pine trip requires
a $150 deposit (to ensure there will be a towplane).
They only have one slot left, so don't spend too much
time thinking about it if you are interested. Anyhow,
this may be a good chance for you to experience the
great Owens Vally, and with a group that knows their
way around no less. Check it out and write posts about
your adventures if you participate.

Paul Hanson
"Do the usual, unusually well"--Len Niemi

CindyB
August 23rd 07, 01:35 AM
On Aug 20, 4:02 pm, Tuno > wrote:
> I'd heard of Owens Valley a few times in soaring write-ups, but
> driving through it, I was amazed at the geology, with the Sierra
> Nevada on the west side and the White and Inyo ranges on the east.

> Also, is there a commercial gliding operation at Bishop? I recall JJ
> mentioning Region 11 contests there, but the SSA "where to fly" page
> doesn't have anything for Bishop.

Ted:

I don't know about Reg 11 contests at BIH, but I have staffed Reg. 12
Regionals there 'way back' in the 1980's. We have also safari'd
there
with our tug and customers in the 90's. That was pre-Hangar One, and
that referral is accurate. But do call ahead, as Rod does other style
aviation business, not just glider towing.

The simpler choice is to come fly from Cal City with us. Full time
glider service, great XC base with knowledgeable mentoring into new
territory, and we can teach you about the local meteorology, hill and
valley flow, convergences from the "oceanic" passes (Walker,
Tioga/Mono), discuss sheet/curtain style ridge flying, plain
thermaling,
bump and run, and wave. The technical style changes keep a pilot
learning and rewarded for observational skill. Pilots to fly with and
story with in the evening.

There is no finer Alpine scenery. Well, except for some of those
other
Alpine places. But that commute time to other continents would hurt
the checkbook. And you can fly an AST task and get home to the RV
park on the airfield here for dinner. Maybe.
The soaring often continues beyond the normal dinner hour.

You can see the style of flying posted on the OLC, search on
Caracole Soaring or California City. (If we had three times the
pilots
flying from here, we could whomp on Warner Springs....smile !! )
No big take off grid, water up spigots..... your advantage.
We're here from Wednesday to Sundays, and on Labor Day weekend.
You can run on the Sierras and to the Owens Valley on any typical
summer afternoon.

Pilots welcome.

Cindy B
www.caracolesoaring.com

Tuno
August 23rd 07, 07:38 PM
Curious 2NO still hasn't been able to find the lost article on soaring
Owens Valley, so if anyone comes across it, please let me know.

Eric: I searched the Soaring Magazine index, but no luck.

Paul: the Lone Pine Soarfari looks like fun, but I'm convalescing that
w/e, and besides, I'm sledless for a few more months. May try to do
some wave flights out of Cal City this fall in a two seater ...

2NO

Go
August 24th 07, 01:33 PM
Ted,
I highly recommend flying out of Bishop whenever you have a chance.
But always call Rod in advance and ensure he will be towing when you
are there. He does have a charter service too and if no one calls he
likes to go fishin'. But he provides good service, if expensive, and
has O2 service as well.

I have found over the years that Bishop is a great entry point to the
White Mtns. and then off to the north or south or both. We like to
camp up in the Sierras where it is cool and spend a week or two at a
time.

Highly recommended.

John

Google