PDA

View Full Version : Re: Dr. Paul MacCready passes away

Stealth Pilot[_2_]
August 31st 07, 12:37 PM
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:20:38 -0700, Dan Armstrong
> wrote:

>Many have probably just heard the news that Dr. Paul MacCready passed
>away in his sleep yesterday. Paul was a renowned innovator, founder
>of AeroVironment, and a key soaring figure. He is known as the
>"father of human-powered flight", and just this month we celebrated
>the 30th anniversary of the Gossamer Condor's record-setting
>flight. He participated almost every year in the Experimental
>Soaring Association's Western Workshop here in Tehachapi, and he and
>his son, Tyler had already RSVPed for this weekend's event. He
>challenged us all to do more with less, to innovate and to tackle new
>opportunities. How we shall miss him.
>
>AeroVironment has established an online book of condolences and
>biography of Dr. MacCready at <www.avinc.com/maccready>.
>
>Be sure and read the obituary notices in the press; I cannot do
>justice in writing one.
>
>Rest in peace, dear Paul. Thanks for touching our lives.
>
>Janice Armstrong
>Tehachapi, California

many years ago on usenet was a poster with the nom de plume of
"daedalus"
that poster was Paul MacCready.

an inspiration.

Stealth Pilot

August 31st 07, 04:47 PM

I talked to Paul, at 2 different events. Once at a early EAA
Ultralight Fly-In, Oshkosh 1980's.
Once at a Engineering Convention at Chicago, McCormick Convention
Hall.
Paul MacCready was a true Original Designer.
He was a very excellent engineering speaker.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/08/29/human_powered_flights_maccready_dies/?rss_id=Boston.com+%2F+News

For us people in Aviation, we will miss him.

Larry Fitzgerald

www.fitzair.net

Google