PDA

View Full Version : Why do you build airplanes?

cavelamb himself[_4_]
September 1st 07, 01:09 AM
Personally, I've never enjoyed anything as much as the act of creating a
flying machine. Well, ok, there was sex back in my young and dumb days.

But for me - it's the act of creation.

I suspect others may have different thoughts.

Anybody care to share?

Richard

Ed Sullivan
September 1st 07, 01:24 AM
On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:09:29 -0500, cavelamb himself
> wrote:

>Personally, I've never enjoyed anything as much as the act of creating a
>flying machine. Well, ok, there was sex back in my young and dumb days.
>
>But for me - it's the act of creation.
>
>I suspect others may have different thoughts.
>
>Anybody care to share?
>
>Richard

I enjoyed cars too, but airplanes are so much cleaner. I particulary
enjoyed all the problem solving on a plans only airplane, one that did
not spell out all the systems. What is sex?

Ed Sullivan, aged curmudgeon

Blueskies
September 1st 07, 02:17 AM
"Ed Sullivan" > wrote in message ...
> What is sex?
>
> Ed Sullivan, aged curmudgeon

X'es spelled backwards?

quietguy
September 1st 07, 03:39 PM
Because rental costs are killing me. For about twenty grand a
Dragonfly will give me 120 kts or better at cruise settings with an
EFIS and GPS with XM WX. It's tiny, but it'll take my golf clubs and
me a long way on a little money. I'm enjoying the building process,
but I'm one of those who build to fly, not vice versa.

Dan[_2_]
September 1st 07, 04:31 PM
Ed Sullivan wrote:
<snip>

What is sex?

> Ed Sullivan, aged curmudgeon

Sex is a number like won and ate.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

stol
September 2nd 07, 12:31 AM
Hmmm, let's see. The world is about 3.6 billion years old, there are
about 7 billion human being currently alive. I have build a flying a
flying machine that has never been done before and actually worked. I
have almost 200 hours of flight time on it and she has always made it
back to its hangar everytime in one piece and safely brought me home.
To me, a very simple country boy I consider that pretty darn kool.....
God bless the USA., no matter how screwed up it appears to be. It is a
great time to be alive. !!!!!

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com

On Aug 31, 6:09 pm, cavelamb himself > wrote:
> Personally, I've never enjoyed anything as much as the act of creating a
> flying machine. Well, ok, there was sex back in my young and dumb days.
>
> But for me - it's the act of creation.
>
> I suspect others may have different thoughts.
>
> Anybody care to share?
>
> Richard

Gig 601XL Builder
September 4th 07, 02:30 PM
Blueskies wrote:

> X'es spelled backwards?

I've got to ask. How long have you been waiting to use that line here?

wright1902glider
September 4th 07, 08:37 PM
In 2001, one of the other semi-infamous Wright Brothers builders, Nick
Engler, asked me that question. We were on the dune at Jockey's Ridge
in Nag's Head, NC. He was struggling to bolt the top wing halves of
his 1901 together while I was carrying out his 1902 wings. Both of us
in a 20+ kt wind. (Hadn't finished my 1902 yet.)

HELL, I DUNNO... I replied. Then asked where he wanted his '02
wings.

For me, I suppose I was born with it. Even if I didn't have fond
memories of the way my father looked in his uniform as he carried his
suitcase and tools across the heliport ramp at dawn, I'd still want to
fly. Grandpa was in the AAF. My Dad was a helicopter A&P for 35 years.
One cousin was a US Marine helo mech. His younger brother is currently
truning wrenches on F-18's (VMFA141). Their father is a tech. at a
research baloon company. Another uncle was an Army ATC and still
instructs ATC at Ft. Rucker. Another uncle is building and RV-6. And
I... I spent $11,000 building an aircraft that I've owned for 5 years
now, and still havn't flown.

All of that may seem rather trivial and it was... until that one
moment, that one special moment in 2003 at Wings Over Houston when I
heard my Dad tell a spectator "Yeah, my son built it!" He sounded like
he had just won the powerball lottery. Pop was on dyalisis at the time
and only lived 2 more years before the effects of agents white, blue,
and orange caught up to him. It was his last airshow, but it made all
the difference.

"Harry" Frey
Wright Brothers Enterprises

cavelamb himself[_4_]
September 6th 07, 03:46 AM
wright1902glider wrote:

snipped

> All of that may seem rather trivial and it was... until that one
> moment, that one special moment in 2003 at Wings Over Houston when I
> heard my Dad tell a spectator "Yeah, my son built it!" He sounded like
> he had just won the powerball lottery. Pop was on dyalisis at the time
> and only lived 2 more years before the effects of agents white, blue,
> and orange caught up to him. It was his last airshow, but it made all
> the difference.
>
> "Harry" Frey
> Wright Brothers Enterprises

That must have really been something, Harry.

Authentic Wright Flyer $11000

Trip to wings over Houston 2000

Knowing Dad is proud of you - priceless...

wright1902glider
September 16th 07, 05:14 PM
On Sep 5, 8:46?pm, cavelamb himself > wrote:

snipped

> That must have really been something, Harry.
> Authentic Wright Flyer $11000
> Trip to wings over Houston 2000
> Knowing Dad is proud of you - priceless...

Even better, I got paid to perform there!

When I was about 2 years old, Pop started taking me to every airshow
there was in a 100 mile radius of Lafayette, LA. Usually this was 2-3
a year, and always included the CAF show. So when the guys at Wings
Over Houston called me and accepted my quote, my next phone call to
was to my Dad. "Pop... you're not gonna believe this, but I just
earned back every dime you ever spent taking me to the CAF shows!"
They also comp'd me passes for my Dad, Mom, and sister, and since
Lafayette was a good stopping point between Houston and Atlanta, I
stopped at home twice, went out for the world's best pizza just like
we did when we were kids, the works!

I'm going to bid for Houston again in 2008. Don't know if I'll impress
them enough to pay me again, but its worth a shot.

Harry

Google