PDA

View Full Version : Historical question

Don Pyeatt
September 1st 07, 04:05 AM
Hopefully someone can tell me where and when was a glider first towed aloft
by an aircraft?

TNX !!

Don

September 1st 07, 06:34 AM
On Aug 31, 9:05?pm, "Don Pyeatt" > wrote:
> Hopefully someone can tell me where and when was a glider first towed aloft
> by an aircraft?
>
> TNX !!
>
> Don

Vol 2 of Peter Riedel's 3 vol. history of the Wasserkuppe, chapter 5
is dedecated to this question.

It looks like the first successful and repeted airplane tows were done
at Kassel-Waldau airport, Germany, 12 March 1927 by Gerhard Fieseler
in the tow plane and Gottlob Espenlaub in the glider. Repeted on 20
March 1927.

By May of that year airplane towing was used for a glider acrobatic
contest at Rossitten on the Baltic coast in then East Prussia.

Even if you do not read German, Riedel's history of the Wasserkuppe is
an important work to own. It is also the history of gliding and the
Germans who invented it. It is worth having for the pictures alone.

Robert Mudd
Moriarty, New Mexico

September 1st 07, 04:43 PM
Any ideas where it might be available to purchase? Any venues in the
US sell it?
Thanks,
Ryan in Madison

Nyal Williams
September 2nd 07, 05:27 AM
Ryan, I found one set, using Bookfinder. $378.00
Here's the link:

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&qi=2DlJ5yjCibXiC2wVk
fspCaNCxKI_0383374384_1:31:42

At 15:48 01 September 2007, wrote:
>Any ideas where it might be available to purchase?
>Any venues in the
>US sell it?
>Thanks,
>Ryan in Madison

September 2nd 07, 03:04 PM
On Sep 1, 10:27?pm, Nyal Williams
> wrote:
> Ryan, I found one set, using Bookfinder. $378.00
> Here's the link:
>
> http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&qi=2DlJ5yjCibXiC2wVk
> fspCaNCxKI_0383374384_1:31:42
>
> At 15:48 01 September 2007, wrote:
>

> >Any ideas where it might be available to purchase?
> >Any venues in the
> >US sell it?
> >Thanks,
> >Ryan in Madison- Hide quoted text -

In 1995 on the Wasserkuppe I paid 56 German marks per volume.

I have no idea what that would convert to in US dollers now, but $378
seems a bit high. .

Robert Mudd
Moriarty, New Mexico

Don Pyeatt
September 3rd 07, 05:46 PM
How about the first airplane-powered tow in the U.S. ??

gdp

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Aug 31, 9:05?pm, "Don Pyeatt" > wrote:
>> Hopefully someone can tell me where and when was a glider first towed
>> aloft
>> by an aircraft?
>>
>> TNX !!
>>
>> Don
>
> Vol 2 of Peter Riedel's 3 vol. history of the Wasserkuppe, chapter 5
> is dedecated to this question.
>
> It looks like the first successful and repeted airplane tows were done
> at Kassel-Waldau airport, Germany, 12 March 1927 by Gerhard Fieseler
> in the tow plane and Gottlob Espenlaub in the glider. Repeted on 20
> March 1927.
>
> By May of that year airplane towing was used for a glider acrobatic
> contest at Rossitten on the Baltic coast in then East Prussia.
>
> Even if you do not read German, Riedel's history of the Wasserkuppe is
> an important work to own. It is also the history of gliding and the
> Germans who invented it. It is worth having for the pictures alone.
>
> Robert Mudd
> Moriarty, New Mexico

Google