PDA

View Full Version : the greatest gliding pilot in the world !

Mal[_4_]
September 6th 07, 04:12 AM
Steve Fossett is being haled by Richard Branson as "the greatest aviator in
the world, he's also the greatest gliding pilot in the world"

I hope via a miracle they find him alive.

Given the technology he was carrying I find the chance of him being alive
remote.

I also noted Steve Irwin passed away on the 4/09/2006 Steve Fossett has gone
missing on the 4/09/2007

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/09/06/1188783352198.html

The FAI ranking will not load who is currently the greatest pilot in the
world or your part of the world past and present or the person you aspire to
fly like or be.

http://www.fai.org/gliding/rankings/Ranking_List.php?alpha=0.php

Ingo Renner would be my aspiration.

Mal

www.mals.net

GK[_1_]
September 6th 07, 04:57 AM
> Steve Fossett is being haled by Richard Branson as "the greatest aviator in
> the world, he's also the greatest gliding pilot in the world"

....and Britney Spears being the greatest singer in the world, who
cares that during her shows she pretends singing using playback...

Martin Gregorie[_1_]
September 6th 07, 01:03 PM
Mal wrote:
> Steve Fossett is being haled by Richard Branson as "the greatest aviator in
> the world, he's also the greatest gliding pilot in the world"

If you're quoting the Guardian story I'd be wary of what it says:

Paragraph 2: "after taking off from a private airstrip Monday
in an ordinary twin-engine plane"

Paragraph 4: "Fossett's plane, a Bellanca Citabria Super Decathlon"

Spot the inconsistency! The Grauniad not only can't spell, it doesn't
check facts either!

> Given the technology he was carrying I find the chance of him being alive
> remote.

It is odd that neither ELT has been heard. I hope they find him alive.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Doug Hoffman
September 6th 07, 02:43 PM
It gets worse. Yesterday Yahoo News carried a story (AP origin?)
about how treacherous the downdrafts in the area could be. They cited
the death of Clem Bowman, "whose glider was thrown to the ground
shortly after launch", as an example.

Regards,

-Doug

September 6th 07, 03:45 PM
On Sep 6, 8:43 am, Doug Hoffman > wrote:
> It gets worse. Yesterday Yahoo News carried a story (AP origin?)
> about how treacherous the downdrafts in the area could be. They cited
> the death of Clem Bowman, "whose glider was thrown to the ground
> shortly after launch", as an example.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Doug

right, and then they casually mentioned that the wind in Nevada on
Monday was CALM

JS
September 7th 07, 06:13 AM
On Sep 6, 7:45 am, wrote:

> right, and then they casually mentioned that the wind in Nevada on
> Monday was CALM

Between first hearing about the missing Decathalon on 123.5 and when
I rocked my wings as Husky "Bravo Hotel" passed in the opposite
direction around Cerro Gordo, my GPS was reading 19 - 20 knots out of
the south. I had been unsuccessful in climbing on the spines of the
Inyos due to rotor, and got almost to pattern altitude in Lone Pine
before climbing out.
Look on the OLC for Monday the 3rd. There are quite a few traces
ending in outlandings in the Owens, not exactly an indicator of good
conditions. Thunderstorms were on tap in the afternoon. About a third
of us from Cal City or Tehachapi made it back home.
Jim

J. Nieuwenhuize
September 7th 07, 11:28 AM
On 6 sep, 05:12, "Mal" > wrote:
> Ingo Renner would be my aspiration.

What about Sebastian Kawa, his winning score is unbelievable high.

September 8th 07, 12:27 PM
On Sep 7, 6:28 am, "J. Nieuwenhuize" >
wrote:
> On 6 sep, 05:12, "Mal" > wrote:
>
> > Ingo Renner would be my aspiration.
>
> What about Sebastian Kawa, his winning score is unbelievable high.

I may add Sebastian Kawa is very young and he is already at the top.

Google