PDA

View Full Version : Real Cartoon Gliders

Kemp[_2_]
September 6th 07, 04:33 PM
In the category of "eccentric gliders", a non-soaring friend told me
that one run of the Japanese Animae cartoon series Eureka7, is about a
character who is or flies a glider (sorry, I've not actually read or
seen the series). Part of the story line is the search for lift.
Turns out someone has built a 1:1 of the cartoon glider:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/news/2007-08-31/life-size-flying-nausicaa-glider-displayed-at-worldcon

with a short movie of the build/flight:

http://www.petworks.co.jp/~hachiya/works/OpenSky_movie.html

Just don't fall off!

Kemp

September 6th 07, 09:50 PM
On Sep 6, 8:33 am, Kemp > wrote:
> In the category of "eccentric gliders", a non-soaring friend told me
> that one run of the Japanese Animae cartoon series Eureka7, is about a
> character who is or flies a glider (sorry, I've not actually read or
> seen the series). Part of the story line is the search for lift.
> Turns out someone has built a 1:1 of the cartoon glider:
>
> http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/news/2007-08-31/life-size-flying-n...
>
> with a short movie of the build/flight:
>
> http://www.petworks.co.jp/~hachiya/works/OpenSky_movie.html
>
> Just don't fall off!
>
> Kemp

That's cool! I remember that glider from an animae movie called
"Warriors of the Wind" in the mid-eighties. I watched it while in my
hotel room in Tonopah, killing an otherwise boring night. That was,
of course, before I began soaring full scale planes. I built a small
(around 15" wingspan) profile model of it, but had very limited
success with using weight shift for turning, although it worked fine
for pitch.

Martin Gregorie[_1_]
September 7th 07, 10:46 AM
wrote:
> On Sep 6, 8:33 am, Kemp > wrote:
>> In the category of "eccentric gliders", a non-soaring friend told me
>> that one run of the Japanese Animae cartoon series Eureka7, is about a
>> character who is or flies a glider (sorry, I've not actually read or
>> seen the series). Part of the story line is the search for lift.
>> Turns out someone has built a 1:1 of the cartoon glider:
>>
>> http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/news/2007-08-31/life-size-flying-n...
>>
>> with a short movie of the build/flight:
>>
>> http://www.petworks.co.jp/~hachiya/works/OpenSky_movie.html
>>
>> Just don't fall off!
>>
>> Kemp
>
> That's cool! I remember that glider from an animae movie called
> "Warriors of the Wind" in the mid-eighties. I watched it while in my
> hotel room in Tonopah, killing an otherwise boring night. That was,
> of course, before I began soaring full scale planes. I built a small
> (around 15" wingspan) profile model of it, but had very limited
> success with using weight shift for turning, although it worked fine
> for pitch.

The stills show cables running up to the side rails, so it looks like
its using weight shift for pitch and hip rocking, like the Wrights, for
roll control.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK