PDA

View Full Version : Gel Coat Question

Gary Emerson
September 10th 07, 04:31 PM
Does anyone have any info about the gel coat used by Schempp-Hirth over
the years. In particular, I'm curious if SH has changed their gel coat
over the years and if so, when did they change? I'm hoping that more
recent built gliders (late '90s) were made with a newer type of gel coat
than gliders made say in the late '70s or early '80s.

Many thanks in advance,

Gary

hans
September 11th 07, 09:15 PM
To my knowledge SH is still using T35 already used in the early years.
Of course one can order a PU finish for new sailplanes.

Gary Emerson schrieb:
> Does anyone have any info about the gel coat used by Schempp-Hirth over
> the years. In particular, I'm curious if SH has changed their gel coat
> over the years and if so, when did they change? I'm hoping that more
> recent built gliders (late '90s) were made with a newer type of gel coat
> than gliders made say in the late '70s or early '80s.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Gary

ventus2
September 12th 07, 11:56 AM
> To my knowledge SH is still using T35 already used in the early years.
> Of course one can order a PU finish for new sailplanes.

True. They still use the T35, although the composition of the gelcoat has
changed over the years. I am unsure of the details of what changed. Trying
to discuss this with the factory over the years has always been a sore
point, as the gelcoat seems to last about 2 years in the southern hemisphere
before one needs to consider sanding it back and painting it in Urethane
(damn that missing ozone which has nothing to do with greenhouse gases
apparantly!). Unfortunately this is an expensive exercise for a new
aircraft, which is why the offer of a PU finish is a welcome one from the
factory.

Chris

Google