PDA

View Full Version : Reno Air Races

Jay Honeck
September 14th 07, 04:59 AM
Man, we wanted to attend this year, but things at the ol' hotel just
haven't cooperated. Between remodeling, personnel, and football
season, we just can't get away right now.

Anyone going? Anyone there? PIREPs, please?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

BT
September 14th 07, 06:00 AM
Biplane crashed on take off.. pilot lost.. reported in today's paper..
engine smoke at about 100ft and a mayday call made
Hate to see that happen. Best to the family.

BT

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Man, we wanted to attend this year, but things at the ol' hotel just
> haven't cooperated. Between remodeling, personnel, and football
> season, we just can't get away right now.
>
> Anyone going? Anyone there? PIREPs, please?
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Dave S
September 14th 07, 07:59 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:
> Man, we wanted to attend this year, but things at the ol' hotel just
> haven't cooperated. Between remodeling, personnel, and football
> season, we just can't get away right now.
>
> Anyone going? Anyone there? PIREPs, please?
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

It's a bad year out there.. I just got around to checking belated voice
mails and my good friend was out there and saw one of the jets auger in.
There's a handful of L-39's on my field here, but I dont think any of
them race/pace (anymore).

2 fatals in 3 days.

I hope this is the end of the bad news.

Dave

September 14th 07, 08:33 PM
On Sep 14, 12:59 pm, Dave S > wrote:
> Jay Honeck wrote:
> > Man, we wanted to attend this year, but things at the ol' hotel just
> > haven't cooperated. Between remodeling, personnel, and football
> > season, we just can't get away right now.
>
> > Anyone going? Anyone there? PIREPs, please?
> > --
> > Jay Honeck
> > Iowa City, IA
> > Pathfinder N56993
> >www.AlexisParkInn.com
> > "Your Aviation Destination"
>
> It's a bad year out there.. I just got around to checking belated voice
> mails and my good friend was out there and saw one of the jets auger in.
> There's a handful of L-39's on my field here, but I dont think any of
> them race/pace (anymore).
>
> 2 fatals in 3 days.
>
> I hope this is the end of the bad news.
>
> Dave

Unfortunately not... Gary Hubler of Caldwell Idaho died when his
Formula 1 was involved in a collision today:
http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories/ktvbn-sep1407-hubler.d3350b54.html

Hubler field is a private airport just north of the Caldwell airport.
He has been a big figure in Idaho aviation in recent years. I saw him
testing his racer at the Caldwell airport earlier this summer.

Bummer...

Dean

Dave S
September 14th 07, 10:10 PM
wrote:

> Unfortunately not... Gary Hubler of Caldwell Idaho died when his
> Formula 1 was involved in a collision today:

Just got that message too...

Ok... i've been ONCE. Never saw anything bad happen other than one or
two pull up and land early.. nobody rubbed, nobody spun in..

What the heck is going on this year.. and for those who have been there
year after year, is this a blip or is this (fatals) normal for reno?

Dave

quietguy
September 14th 07, 10:19 PM
My local TV news just reported that the pilot killed in the L-39 crash
was Brad Morehouse from Wyoming. I haven't found any complete reports
on the races, just daily puff-pieces on the organizers' website,
www.airrace.org . There's been nothing on that site so far about the
fatal crashes and I don't expect anything from them.

Big John
September 15th 07, 04:07 AM
Here is a summary of all three fatalities.

Click here: http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_6896893

It's a rough game.

Lots of condolences to the families.

Big John

**************************************

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 20:59:28 -0700, Jay Honeck >
wrote:

>Man, we wanted to attend this year, but things at the ol' hotel just
>haven't cooperated. Between remodeling, personnel, and football
>season, we just can't get away right now.
>
>Anyone going? Anyone there? PIREPs, please?

comanche driver
September 15th 07, 04:45 AM
this is the first year in 28 years that I am sitting out, and it is an
abnormality, Gary was the 18th death in 44 years. there has not been a
death in 4 or 5 years.

it seems this is just a bad year for air shows in general.

lets just hope that it is the last for a very long time......

my condolences to the friends and families of those that we have lost.

bob burns
ex-tow3 race 44 crew

"Big John" > wrote in message
> Here is a summary of all three fatalities.
>
> Click here: http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_6896893
>
> It's a rough game.
>
> Lots of condolences to the families.
>
> Big John
>
> **************************************
>

> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 20:59:28 -0700, Jay Honeck >
> wrote:
>
>>Man, we wanted to attend this year, but things at the ol' hotel just
>>haven't cooperated. Between remodeling, personnel, and football
>>season, we just can't get away right now.
>>
>>Anyone going? Anyone there? PIREPs, please?

Jay Honeck
September 15th 07, 02:47 PM
> Click here:http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_6896893

Thanks for the link, Big John.

The jet crash is intriguing. The article speculates that he got
caught in wake turbulence that caused the crash? Holy "Top Gun", I
thought that was a Hollywood contrivance.

Anyone know if flying "through someone's jet wash" (as Goose put it)
could bring down an L-39?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
September 15th 07, 04:03 PM
> Flying an Electra on approach to Miami following just a little B-727,
> I suddenly found myself in a 60 degree bank. Fortunately, skill, daring
> and 600' of altitude saved the day, and my ass. :) :)

Yeah, I had a similar experience flying behind a C-130 into
Albuquerque. It got my attention.

An L-39 ain't a prop plane, however. It's a sleek, dart-like design
with stubby wings that would seem to offer little aerodynamic traction
for that kind of turbulence.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Newps
September 15th 07, 06:35 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> An L-39 ain't a prop plane, however. It's a sleek, dart-like design
> with stubby wings that would seem to offer little aerodynamic traction
> for that kind of turbulence.

The shape of the plane has exactly nothing to do with it. Weight is
everything.

Dudley Henriques[_2_]
September 15th 07, 06:41 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:
>> Flying an Electra on approach to Miami following just a little B-727,
>> I suddenly found myself in a 60 degree bank. Fortunately, skill, daring
>> and 600' of altitude saved the day, and my ass. :) :)
>
> Yeah, I had a similar experience flying behind a C-130 into
> Albuquerque. It got my attention.
>
> An L-39 ain't a prop plane, however. It's a sleek, dart-like design
> with stubby wings that would seem to offer little aerodynamic traction
> for that kind of turbulence.
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Nothing special about the L39 that would protect it from sudden roll
rate induced by wake turbulence. It's fairly well balanced
aerodynamically actually and is neutrally mass loaded; a perfect
airframe in roll.
It all depends on how close in and at what angle you intercept the
vortex and your specific flight parameters as you hit it.
Wake turbulence in my opinion, even with all that has been written about
it, is one of the most deadly aspects involved in flying, and deserves
MUCH more consideration from pilots than it gets.
DH

--
Dudley Henriques

Orval Fairbairn
September 15th 07, 07:42 PM
In article 8>,
Bob Moore > wrote:

> Jay Honeck wrote
> > Anyone know if flying "through someone's jet wash" (as Goose put it)
> > could bring down an L-39?
>
> Flying an Electra on approach to Miami following just a little B-727,
> I suddenly found myself in a 60 degree bank. Fortunately, skill, daring
> and 600' of altitude saved the day, and my ass. :) :)
>
> Bob Moore

Bob,

I forgot to ask if you knew Charlie Tennstedt. He lives here and is
still as crusty as ever at 91 and still flies!

Big John
September 15th 07, 08:36 PM
Jay

Yep.

Big John

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 06:47:58 -0700, Jay Honeck >
wrote:

>> Click here:http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_6896893
>
>Thanks for the link, Big John.
>
>The jet crash is intriguing. The article speculates that he got
>caught in wake turbulence that caused the crash? Holy "Top Gun", I
>thought that was a Hollywood contrivance.
>
>Anyone know if flying "through someone's jet wash" (as Goose put it)
>could bring down an L-39?

Matt Barrow[_4_]
September 15th 07, 09:34 PM
"Newps" > wrote in message

> Jay Honeck wrote:
>

>> An L-39 ain't a prop plane, however. It's a sleek, dart-like design
>> with stubby wings that would seem to offer little aerodynamic traction
>> for that kind of turbulence.
>
> The shape of the plane has exactly nothing to do with it. Weight is
> everything.

Umm...the aspect ratio of the wing?

Orval Fairbairn
September 15th 07, 09:39 PM
In article 8>,
Bob Moore > wrote:

> Orval Fairbairn wrote
> > I forgot to ask if you knew Charlie Tennstedt. He lives here and is
> > still as crusty as ever at 91 and still flies!
>
> Nope! Don't think that I ever met the gentleman.
>
> Bob

He was Chief Pilot for Eastern back in the old days -- quite a character!

LJ Blodgett
September 16th 07, 12:17 AM
My condolences to the Reno racers familys.
Gary was a great person,ag pilot,war bird pilot,and reno racer and meny
time winer,Instructor. DAMM these accidents. LJ
wrote:
> On Sep 14, 12:59 pm, Dave S > wrote:
>
>>Jay Honeck wrote:
>>
>>>Man, we wanted to attend this year, but things at the ol' hotel just
>>>haven't cooperated. Between remodeling, personnel, and football
>>>season, we just can't get away right now.
>>
>>>Anyone going? Anyone there? PIREPs, please?
>>>--
>>>Jay Honeck
>>>Iowa City, IA
>>>Pathfinder N56993
>>>www.AlexisParkInn.com
>>>"Your Aviation Destination"
>>
>>It's a bad year out there.. I just got around to checking belated voice
>>mails and my good friend was out there and saw one of the jets auger in.
>>There's a handful of L-39's on my field here, but I dont think any of
>>them race/pace (anymore).
>>
>>2 fatals in 3 days.
>>
>>I hope this is the end of the bad news.
>>
>>Dave
>

> Unfortunately not... Gary Hubler of Caldwell Idaho died when his
> Formula 1 was involved in a collision today:
> http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories/ktvbn-sep1407-hubler.d3350b54.html
>
> Hubler field is a private airport just north of the Caldwell airport.
> He has been a big figure in Idaho aviation in recent years. I saw him
> testing his racer at the Caldwell airport earlier this summer.
>
> Bummer...
>
> Dean

Al G[_1_]
September 17th 07, 05:29 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>> Flying an Electra on approach to Miami following just a little B-727,
>> I suddenly found myself in a 60 degree bank. Fortunately, skill, daring
>> and 600' of altitude saved the day, and my ass. :) :)
>
> Yeah, I had a similar experience flying behind a C-130 into
> Albuquerque. It got my attention.
>
> An L-39 ain't a prop plane, however. It's a sleek, dart-like design
> with stubby wings that would seem to offer little aerodynamic traction
> for that kind of turbulence.
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

True, but the L39 was not 3 miles in trail either. Yes, wake turbulence
has seriously affected race aircraft before, the AmsOil racer comes to mind.
He was rolled near inverted going around the first pylon, and managed to
recover to an 80 degree bank as he touched the ground. I watched that
aircraft disassemble itself in about a second, and as the dust cleared,
shoulder straps popped up and Dan Mortensen stood up and walked out of the
carnage.
I do believe that If we set it up carefully, I can roll your piper more
than 60 degrees with a C150.

Al G (grew up in Reno, pumped gas at the air races as a kid)

Kloudy via AviationKB.com
September 17th 07, 06:09 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

>An L-39 ain't a prop plane, however. It's a sleek, dart-like design
>with stubby wings that would seem to offer little aerodynamic traction
>for that kind of turbulence.

Those guys are also pulling considerable G's which will affect wake character.

Its too bad. Condolences to all. Indeed a tragic year.

Dudley Henriques[_2_]
September 17th 07, 07:00 PM
Kloudy via AviationKB.com wrote:
> Jay Honeck wrote:
>> An L-39 ain't a prop plane, however. It's a sleek, dart-like design
>> with stubby wings that would seem to offer little aerodynamic traction
>> for that kind of turbulence.
>
> Those guys are also pulling considerable G's which will affect wake character.
>

> Its too bad. Condolences to all. Indeed a tragic year.

This is true. I can attest to it. I was once in direct trail with an F8F
playing around in a tail chase down low. We were alternating in turn
direction. I was close in and he had enough g on his airplane to keep me
in his marbles but not enough to throw me out into overshoot. He went
hard left on me and I followed him into the turn, then he suddenly went
even harder left, going out to all the Bear would give him. As I
followed him I hit his vortex from the now greater alpha he was
generating. It was like flying into a wrench. It damn near inverted me.
Bottom line is hat it can REALLY get hairy following into a hard turn
close in and in trail like that.
The guys at Reno are well up on this and allow for it.
DH

--
Dudley Henriques

Morgans[_2_]
September 17th 07, 10:17 PM
"Al G" > wrote

> Al G (grew up in Reno, pumped gas at the air races as a kid)

So Al, what octane of gas do they manage to get ahold of, for the racers at
Reno?
--
Jim in NC

Al G[_1_]
September 17th 07, 10:56 PM
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "Al G" > wrote
>
>> Al G (grew up in Reno, pumped gas at the air races as a kid)
>
> So Al, what octane of gas do they manage to get ahold of, for the racers
> at Reno?
> --
> Jim in NC

Green, 100-130 when I was there. Keep in mind I graduated from Reno high
in 1970.

Al G

Google