PDA

View Full Version : FAA Licensing and Renal Failure

mdginzo
September 20th 07, 09:29 PM
I have been told that a end-stage dialysis patient on dialysis is
unlikely to pass a FAA medical for a pilot's license. I am going to
be soon on PD dialysis which does not require me to dialyze in a
clinic, but at home. Otherwise, I have no other symptopms that would
make it unable for me to pilot a plane. I am on no medicines that make
me unable to either. So, does anyone know where I can find out about
the chances of me being certified for a pilot's license? Where can I
get good information about flying with health problems.

xyzzy
September 20th 07, 09:40 PM
On Sep 20, 4:29 pm, mdginzo > wrote:
> I have been told that a end-stage dialysis patient on dialysis is
> unlikely to pass a FAA medical for a pilot's license. I am going to
> be soon on PD dialysis which does not require me to dialyze in a
> clinic, but at home. Otherwise, I have no other symptopms that would
> make it unable for me to pilot a plane. I am on no medicines that make
> me unable to either. So, does anyone know where I can find out about
> the chances of me being certified for a pilot's license? Where can I
> get good information about flying with health problems.

Join AOPA and make use of their medical certification team.

Dave S
September 20th 07, 10:28 PM
mdginzo wrote:
> I have been told that a end-stage dialysis patient on dialysis is
> unlikely to pass a FAA medical for a pilot's license. I am going to
> be soon on PD dialysis which does not require me to dialyze in a
> clinic, but at home. Otherwise, I have no other symptopms that would
> make it unable for me to pilot a plane. I am on no medicines that make
> me unable to either. So, does anyone know where I can find out about
> the chances of me being certified for a pilot's license? Where can I
> get good information about flying with health problems.

Any entrapped air in the abdominal cavity when you do your dialysis
procedure, whether overnight or continuous ambulatory, has the ability
to expand at altitude causing pain and possibly incapacitation. This is
an issue wether you are piloting or a passenger.

the other issue is that if not properly monitored, incomplete
electrolyte correction can lead to conditions that can cause sudden
incapacitation - hyperkalemia.

Good luck, but I would honestly expect a denial on this one. If you find
otherwise, PLEASE let the group know.

Dave
NOT an AME.

Google