PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 296 -- backing it up?

Cubdriver
September 24th 07, 10:17 PM
It dawned on me that my 296 is three years old and that I ought to
update the software. (I have 2.6, and 4 Something is available.) The
Garmin website tells me to back up my waypoints and routes before
installing the new software.

Fine. I look in the index, but there's nothing under backup. I search
the website, and there's nothing about backing up data, at least not
for the 296.

Does anyone have a clue as to how this is done?

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com

gpaleo
September 24th 07, 10:30 PM
Ο "Cubdriver" <usenet AT danford DOT net> έγραψε στο μήνυμα

> It dawned on me that my 296 is three years old and that I ought to
> update the software. (I have 2.6, and 4 Something is available.) The
> Garmin website tells me to back up my waypoints and routes before
> installing the new software.
>
> Fine. I look in the index, but there's nothing under backup. I search
> the website, and there's nothing about backing up data, at least not
> for the 296.
>
> Does anyone have a clue as to how this is done?

Just do the update. It's 5.x nowadays, VERY well behaved updates.

Newps
September 24th 07, 10:43 PM
http://www.easygps.com/

Cubdriver wrote:

> It dawned on me that my 296 is three years old and that I ought to
> update the software. (I have 2.6, and 4 Something is available.) The
> Garmin website tells me to back up my waypoints and routes before
> installing the new software.
>
> Fine. I look in the index, but there's nothing under backup. I search
> the website, and there's nothing about backing up data, at least not
> for the 296.
>
> Does anyone have a clue as to how this is done?
>

> Blue skies! -- Dan Ford
>
> Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
> new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com

Newps
September 25th 07, 03:36 PM
Easy GPS is a lot easier and it's free. Plus you can transfer the
waypoints, routes, etc, to and from any other brand of GPS.

Bill Zaleski wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 17:17:18 -0400, Cubdriver <usenet AT danford DOT
> net> wrote:
>

>>It dawned on me that my 296 is three years old and that I ought to
>>update the software. (I have 2.6, and 4 Something is available.) The
>>Garmin website tells me to back up my waypoints and routes before
>>installing the new software.
>>
>>Fine. I look in the index, but there's nothing under backup. I search
>>the website, and there's nothing about backing up data, at least not
>>for the 296.
>>
>>Does anyone have a clue as to how this is done?
>>

>>Blue skies! -- Dan Ford
>>
>>Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
>>new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com
>

> Backing up waypoints and routes are done through the Mapsource PC
> software. The latest operating software for the 296 is 5.1, I think.
> It fixes a few of the glitches.

Cubdriver
September 25th 07, 08:46 PM
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:20:17 -0400, Bill Zaleski
> wrote:

>Backing up waypoints and routes are done through the Mapsource PC
>software.

Oh!

(What great instructions those Garmin lads write!)

Many thanks to all of you.

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com

Google