PDA

View Full Version : Looking for private pilots (as safety pilots) within 100nm of Cincinnati

Alex P.
October 3rd 07, 08:03 PM
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster (I always wanted to say this ;))

Anyway, I have just acquired my private pilot license and I'm en route
to the intrument ticket. Since as you know, this is the time where a
second private pilot is what helps best to collect the needed
instrument time, I was wondering if there's anyone out there that has
at least a basic license and would be willing to fly with me :)
Cincinnati would be best, but anything within 1hr flight time will
work too.

- I pay for rental, you can pick the place where you'd like to have
lunch or dinner
- I buy food :)
- I will be more than happy to return the favor and be your safety
pilot if you're looking for IFR hours.

If you're interested - respond to this post, or send me a private
message and we'll work out the logistics.

Cheers and safe skies,
Alex

PS. Sorry for cross-posting but it can be a win-win so hopefully
doesn't qualify as spam ;)

The Visitor[_2_]
October 3rd 07, 09:08 PM
I'm too far away, but you are going to make friends!

john

Alex P. wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Long time lurker, first time poster (I always wanted to say this ;))
>
> Anyway, I have just acquired my private pilot license and I'm en route
> to the intrument ticket. Since as you know, this is the time where a
> second private pilot is what helps best to collect the needed
> instrument time, I was wondering if there's anyone out there that has
> at least a basic license and would be willing to fly with me :)
> Cincinnati would be best, but anything within 1hr flight time will
> work too.
>
> - I pay for rental, you can pick the place where you'd like to have
> lunch or dinner
> - I buy food :)
> - I will be more than happy to return the favor and be your safety
> pilot if you're looking for IFR hours.
>
> If you're interested - respond to this post, or send me a private
> message and we'll work out the logistics.
>
> Cheers and safe skies,
> Alex
>
> PS. Sorry for cross-posting but it can be a win-win so hopefully
> doesn't qualify as spam ;)

Jim Macklin
October 3rd 07, 10:17 PM
If you "hire" a private pilot to be your safety pilot, he
needs to have a commercial pilot certificate. You are
offering to pay for lunch at a place of the others choosing,
etc and that makes it a "for pay operation requiring a
commercial certificate. As your employee, neither you nor
he/she needs to have a 135 certificate even though you are
planning trips.

From the stand point of valuable instrument time, you need a
pilot with an active instrument rating who can give useful
advice and see errors you might make.
A CFII is cheap compared to the cost of wasted aircraft
hours.

Congratulations on the new certificate.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Alex P." > wrote in message
ps.com...
| Hello everyone,
|
| Long time lurker, first time poster (I always wanted to
say this ;))

| Anyway, I have just acquired my private pilot license and
I'm en route
| to the intrument ticket. Since as you know, this is the
time where a
| second private pilot is what helps best to collect the
needed
| instrument time, I was wondering if there's anyone out
there that has
| at least a basic license and would be willing to fly with
me :)
| Cincinnati would be best, but anything within 1hr flight
time will
| work too.
|
| - I pay for rental, you can pick the place where you'd
like to have
| lunch or dinner
| - I buy food :)
| - I will be more than happy to return the favor and be
your safety
| pilot if you're looking for IFR hours.
|
| If you're interested - respond to this post, or send me a
private
| message and we'll work out the logistics.
|
| Cheers and safe skies,
| Alex
|
| PS. Sorry for cross-posting but it can be a win-win so
hopefully
| doesn't qualify as spam ;)

TheSmokingGnu
October 4th 07, 04:35 AM
Jim Macklin wrote:
> You are
> offering to pay for lunch at a place of the others choosing,
> etc and that makes it a "for pay operation requiring a
> commercial certificate.

But surely this wouldn't qualify; the purchase of lunch is both
incidental and coincidental to the act of flying; neither the act of
flying nor the purchase of lunch must necessarily and/or inevitably
follow the other, obviating the comp/hire clause?

You could be nicked on the paying of rental/loggable time (good will
applies), but not the hamburgers! :D

TheSmokingGnu

JGalban via AviationKB.com
October 4th 07, 08:20 PM
TheSmokingGnu wrote:

>You could be nicked on the paying of rental/loggable time (good will
>applies), but not the hamburgers! :D

I wouldn't think you could be tagged for providing the plane. The safety
pilot would be a required crewmember for the operation, not a passenger. If
such were the case, then nobody could fly with a safety pilot in their own
plane (or a rented one) unless the safety pilot shared costs. I don't think
that's the case.

John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Google