PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognize this wreck?

IL
October 4th 07, 05:48 PM
http://thismight.be/offensive/uploads/2007/10/02/image/Great%20fishing%20spot.jpg

Folks on the site were guessing Belgrano at first, but quickly came to
conclusion that it's another vessel..

Eugene Griessel
October 4th 07, 08:30 PM
Juergen Nieveler > wrote:

>IL > wrote:
>
>> http://thismight.be/offensive/uploads/2007/10/02/image/Great%20fishing%
>> 20spot.jpg
>>
>> Folks on the site were guessing Belgrano at first, but quickly came to
>> conclusion that it's another vessel..
>
>Can't be the Belgrano. She sank in deep water, people had to get into
>life rafts.
>
>I doubt anybody would have bothered with land so close ;-)
>
>Also, the disturbance in the water appears to be caused by the bow. The
>Belgrano lost hers with the first Torpedo hit.
>
>Crossposted to SMN, maybe somebody recognizes her. Looks like a WW2-
>vintage cruiser, and from the shape of the bridge and turrets I'd
>hazard that it's either from the Royal Navy or US Navy... but who am I
>to judge ;-)

Dunno - I get the distinct feeling it couldd be a Russian. That gun
director astern looks like something you got on a Sverdlov class...

Eugene L Griessel

Society exists only as a mental concept; in the real world there
are only individuals.

- I usually post only from Sci.Military.Naval -

Eugene Griessel
October 4th 07, 08:43 PM
Juergen Nieveler > wrote:

>IL > wrote:
>
>> http://thismight.be/offensive/uploads/2007/10/02/image/Great%20fishing%
>> 20spot.jpg
>>
>> Folks on the site were guessing Belgrano at first, but quickly came to
>> conclusion that it's another vessel..
>
>Can't be the Belgrano. She sank in deep water, people had to get into
>life rafts.
>
>I doubt anybody would have bothered with land so close ;-)
>
>Also, the disturbance in the water appears to be caused by the bow. The
>Belgrano lost hers with the first Torpedo hit.
>
>Crossposted to SMN, maybe somebody recognizes her. Looks like a WW2-
>vintage cruiser, and from the shape of the bridge and turrets I'd
>hazard that it's either from the Royal Navy or US Navy... but who am I
>to judge ;-)

I'd hazard a guess and say it was the Murmansk at Hasvig in Norway.
Wrecked in 1994 while under tow to the breakers in India.

Eugene L Griessel

Society exists only as a mental concept; in the real world there
are only individuals.

- I usually post only from Sci.Military.Naval -

John Szalay
October 4th 07, 09:11 PM
(Eugene Griessel) wrote in news:47054218.7954458
> I'd hazard a guess and say it was the Murmansk at Hasvig in Norway.
> Wrecked in 1994 while under tow to the breakers in India.
>
> Eugene L Griessel

Sure looks like it..

http://www.divenorway.com/murmansk_gallery.htm

http://www.hart-am-fisch.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=104
&Itemid=61

http://visitnorway.com/templates/NTRproduct.aspx?id=80361#

IL
October 4th 07, 10:28 PM
John Szalay wrote:
> (Eugene Griessel) wrote in news:47054218.7954458
>
>>I'd hazard a guess and say it was the Murmansk at Hasvig in Norway.
>>Wrecked in 1994 while under tow to the breakers in India.
>>
>>Eugene L Griessel
>>

> Sure looks like it..
>

> http://www.divenorway.com/murmansk_gallery.htm
>
> http://www.hart-am-fisch.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=104
> &Itemid=61
>

> http://visitnorway.com/templates/NTRproduct.aspx?id=80361#

I knew I could count on the expertise here. Thanks guys!

Dennis[_4_]
October 5th 07, 05:28 AM
Juergen Nieveler wrote:

> IL > wrote:
>
>> http://thismight.be/offensive/uploads/2007/10/02/image/Great%20fishing%
>> 20spot.jpg

The thismight.be/offensive site looks interesting! If you go to the
top, there's nothing but a login. What's this site about?

Dennis

Starshiy
October 5th 07, 05:49 AM
Hello
Definitevely a soviet one. The gun director abaft is clearly showing its origin.
Probably a Sverdlov class cruiser.
Regards

Google