PDA

View Full Version : A Different Kind of Taxiway

J.F.
October 6th 07, 01:33 PM

Jack[_2_]
October 6th 07, 06:23 PM
The old National airport in Wash. D.C. in the 1930's also had a road
crossing the field. How about the taxiway at San Diego from the Coast Guard
hanger across a busy street to the field. Both places had railroad type
crossing gates.

"J.F." > wrote in message
. net...

John Szalay
October 7th 07, 03:34 PM
"Jack" > wrote in
:

> The old National airport in Wash. D.C. in the 1930's also had a road
> crossing the field. How about the taxiway at San Diego from the Coast
> Guard hanger across a busy street to the field. Both places had
> railroad type crossing gates.

IIRC: there was an airfield in Ireland that had a railroad track crossing
it. the tower and the railroad had an agreement, as to had the right of
way..

Argus
October 7th 07, 07:33 PM
John Szalay wrote:
> "Jack" > wrote in
> :
>
>> The old National airport in Wash. D.C. in the 1930's also had a road
>> crossing the field. How about the taxiway at San Diego from the Coast
>> Guard hanger across a busy street to the field. Both places had
>> railroad type crossing gates.
>>

> IIRC: there was an airfield in Ireland that had a railroad track crossing
> it. the tower and the railroad had an agreement, as to had the right of
> way..
The Beech factory airport (BEC) in Wichita used to have a railroad track
across the runway at about midfield. I understand it's gone now. I
never saw a train there, but I wasn't there all that often, and I'm
pretty sure it was used from time to time.

The crossing was rough enough that we worried about landing gear damage.

John B
October 7th 07, 11:29 PM
"John Szalay" > wrote in message
42...
> "Jack" > wrote in
> :
>
>> The old National airport in Wash. D.C. in the 1930's also had a road
>> crossing the field. How about the taxiway at San Diego from the Coast
>> Guard hanger across a busy street to the field. Both places had
>> railroad type crossing gates.
>>

> IIRC: there was an airfield in Ireland that had a railroad track crossing
> it. the tower and the railroad had an agreement, as to had the right of
> way..

RAF Ballykelly 210 Squadron c1962. Often required to 'extend downwing -
train crossing'.

John B

John B
October 8th 07, 12:49 AM
"John B" > wrote in message
> "John Szalay" > wrote in message
> 42...
>> "Jack" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> The old National airport in Wash. D.C. in the 1930's also had a road
>>> crossing the field. How about the taxiway at San Diego from the Coast
>>> Guard hanger across a busy street to the field. Both places had
>>> railroad type crossing gates.
>>>

>> IIRC: there was an airfield in Ireland that had a railroad track crossing
>> it. the tower and the railroad had an agreement, as to had the right of
>> way..
>
> RAF Ballykelly 210 Squadron c1962. Often required to 'extend downwing -
> train crossing'.
>
> John B

Oooops I Meant DOWNWIND not downwing.

John B

Tim Heise[_2_]
October 8th 07, 03:22 AM
"John B" > wrote in message

> "John B" > wrote in message
>> "John Szalay" > wrote in message
>> 42...
>>> "Jack" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> IIRC: there was an airfield in Ireland that had a railroad track
>>> crossing
>>> it. the tower and the railroad had an agreement, as to had the right of
>>> way..
>>
>> RAF Ballykelly 210 Squadron c1962. Often required to 'extend downwing -
>> train crossing'.
>>
>> John B
>
> Oooops I Meant DOWNWIND not downwing.
>
> John B

The train also is awaiting clearance for takeoff...
//
tbh

John Szalay
October 8th 07, 09:38 PM
"John B" > wrote in
:

> "John Szalay" > wrote in message
> 42...
>> "Jack" > wrote in
>> :
>>>
>> IIRC: there was an airfield in Ireland that had a railroad track
>> crossing it. the tower and the railroad had an agreement, as to had
>> the right of way..
>
> RAF Ballykelly 210 Squadron c1962. Often required to 'extend downwing
> - train crossing'.
>
> John B
>

> begin 666 BK Train.jpg
>
> Attachment decoded: BK Train.jpg
> `
> end

Thank you
I had heard stories about it, but was never able to
track down the where...

P50[_3_]
October 9th 07, 11:37 AM
Similar set up has been installed at Essendon Airport recently. Only instead
of rail type boomgates there are full size gates.

Marty Shapiro
October 9th 07, 11:58 AM
"P50" > wrote in
:

> Similar set up has been installed at Essendon Airport recently. Only
> instead of rail type boomgates there are full size gates.

Try the runway/roadway set up at Gibraltar.
http://www.airliners.net/photos/photos/2/7/2/0813272.jpg

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)

John B
October 9th 07, 12:04 PM
"P50" > wrote in message
> Similar set up has been installed at Essendon Airport recently. Only
> instead of rail type boomgates there are full size gates.
No booms or gates - all done through the tower.

John B

P50[_3_]
October 11th 07, 07:08 AM
"John B" > wrote in message

> "P50" > wrote in message
>> Similar set up has been installed at Essendon Airport recently. Only
>> instead of rail type boomgates there are full size gates.
> No booms or gates - all done through the tower.
>
> John B

Pretty sure there are gates there as well. There was the 4 times I was there
last week.
They were installed but not yet working. Also had amber beacons in place on
the gates.

It would be kind of silly to expect someone in the tower to trust and hope
that every vehicle does not cross because they so and not have some sort of
physical barrier as well.

John B
October 11th 07, 07:51 AM
"P50" > wrote in message

> "John B" > wrote in message
>>
>> "P50" > wrote in message
>>> Similar set up has been installed at Essendon Airport recently. Only
>>> instead of rail type boomgates there are full size gates.
>> No booms or gates - all done through the tower.
>>
>> John B
>
> Pretty sure there are gates there as well. There was the 4 times I was
> there last week.
> They were installed but not yet working. Also had amber beacons in place
> on the gates.
>
> It would be kind of silly to expect someone in the tower to trust and hope
> that every vehicle does not cross because they so and not have some sort
> of physical barrier as well.
P50

I was referring to the crossing at RAF Ballykelly in Nothern Ireland (my
contribution to the thread). The railway had absolute priority to that part
of the runway - UNLESS the tower could negotiate use. Inside the tower there
were bells and signals, fed from the railway signal box.

As a past Essendon Tower Controller, where are the boomgates installed?

John B

P50[_3_]
October 12th 07, 02:21 PM
"John B" > wrote in message

Sorry John given your response was after mine and included my text in
regards to Essendon Airport I thought you were referring to such. Not the
other location you mention. Apologies to you.

The new crossing system with the gates at Essendon have been installed in
what was previously a dead end road. There has been some major redevelopment
works at Essendon and this has included new hangers and buildings in most
parts of the property.

If you have a look at the Google Earth image I've attached I have edited in
where the new gates and crossing have been installed and marked where some
of the new buildings are. (Very crude guide)
There is also another inroad being built to the Airport up towards the end
of Runway 17.

New hangers have been built near where the Air Ambulance base is also as
well as numerous new buildings inside the centre of the main airport roads.

John B
October 12th 07, 11:27 PM
"P50" > wrote in message

> "John B" > wrote in message
>
> Sorry John given your response was after mine and included my text in
> regards to Essendon Airport I thought you were referring to such. Not the
> other location you mention. Apologies to you.
>
> The new crossing system with the gates at Essendon have been installed in
> what was previously a dead end road. There has been some major
> redevelopment works at Essendon and this has included new hangers and
> buildings in most parts of the property.
>
> If you have a look at the Google Earth image I've attached I have edited
> in where the new gates and crossing have been installed and marked where
> some of the new buildings are. (Very crude guide)
> There is also another inroad being built to the Airport up towards the end
> of Runway 17.
>
> New hangers have been built near where the Air Ambulance base is also as
> well as numerous new buildings inside the centre of the main airport
> roads.

Thank you for that - it's certainly becoming a busy little place now.

Mind you it had its moments when it was Melbourne Airport - particularly on
a Friday evening.

John B

P50[_3_]
October 14th 07, 02:52 AM
"John B" > wrote in message

> Thank you for that - it's certainly becoming a busy little place now.
>
> Mind you it had its moments when it was Melbourne Airport - particularly
> on a Friday evening.
>
> John B

John B et al,

For those interested in older images from Essendon Airport, this site has
some very interesting shots on it. Might bring back a memory or two for John
if you were there then.
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages/Aviation/Aircraft/Civil/Carvair/Carvair.html
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages/Aviation/Aircraft/Misc/Essendon/Ac100_700.jpg
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages/Aviation/Aircraft/Misc/Essendon/Ac080_700.jpg
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages/Aviation/Aircraft/Civil/F27/Ac132_700.jpg
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages/Aviation/Aircraft/Civil/Carvair/Ac661_550.jpg
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages/Aviation/Aircraft/Civil/Carvair/AcEC07_550.jpg
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages/Aviation/Aircraft/Civil/Carvair/Ac078_550.jpg
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages/Aviation/Aircraft/Misc/Essendon/ECT.html

John B
October 14th 07, 10:37 AM
"P50" > wrote in message

> "John B" > wrote in message
>
>> Thank you for that - it's certainly becoming a busy little place now.
>>
>> Mind you it had its moments when it was Melbourne Airport - particularly
>> on a Friday evening.
>>
>> John B
>

> John B et al,
>
> For those interested in older images from Essendon Airport, this site has
> some very interesting shots on it. Might bring back a memory or two for
> John if you were there then.
> http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages/Aviation/Aircraft/Civil/Carvair/Carvair.html
> http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages/Aviation/Aircraft/Misc/Essendon/Ac100_700.jpg
> http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages/Aviation/Aircraft/Misc/Essendon/Ac080_700.jpg
> http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages/Aviation/Aircraft/Civil/F27/Ac132_700.jpg
> http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages/Aviation/Aircraft/Civil/Carvair/Ac661_550.jpg
> http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages/Aviation/Aircraft/Civil/Carvair/AcEC07_550.jpg
> http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages/Aviation/Aircraft/Civil/Carvair/Ac078_550.jpg
> http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages/Aviation/Aircraft/Misc/Essendon/ECT.html
Thanks P50

Very interesting shots and so nostalgic. I was on the day the first Carvair
taxyed past and the Senior Tower Controller asked what type of aircraft it
was. The reply was quite long - starting with Carvair and then going through
all the conversion process.

Eventually the tower managed to get a few words in ........... "Do it
yourself?"
John B

Google