PDA

View Full Version : Checkrides you thought were insufficient?

October 9th 07, 10:39 PM
Congratulations to the recent poster who just got his instrument
ticket!

That got me thinking about my instrument ride in Corsicana, TX many
years ago.
My two biggest weaknesses during training were holding pattern entry
and NDB approaches.
I practiced them both until I was absolutely nail-on-the-head. I knew
the NDB into Corsicana like the back of my hand. I flew circles in the
sky until I was dizzy. I was assured that the examiner would give me
both during my ride. WELL...

My instrument/commercial ride was scheduled late in the afternoon and
the DE has a private candidate waiting on him for his ride after mine.
He was in a bit of a hurry. After my brief oral we went flying, under
the hood, to Waco, TX. (TSTC) and shot the ILS. Well, I discovered an
inop glideslope in the 172 pretty quickly and converted to the
localizer approach with ease. After a missed approach we went straight
back to Corsicana under the hood, he pulled it off a couple miles from
the airport and we made a full stop VFR landing. That was it. He told
me I was a competent instrument pilot and gave me a temporary cert! I
didn't want to argue but over the years I have thought; "dang, I
must've had the easiest instrument ride EVER!" And to this day I think
it was grossly insufficient...

Do you have any "insufficient" checkrides you'd be brave enough to
share?

Ricky

Gatt
October 9th 07, 11:28 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Do you have any "insufficient" checkrides you'd be brave enough to
> share?

Yeah. During my commercial I was doing pylon eights and the examiner goes
"Wait...that's not right. Try this..." I'd done it countless times, just
not his way. Made a bunch of minor mistakes that he attributed to
"checkriditis" which would seem to me to suggest stress
management/performance issues. I dunno if I'd have passed me...

I thought I failed my instrument checkride for a full hour after we were on
the ground; PDX put me in a 20-minute hold in IMC, and the examiner (Wiley)
had a GPS. Man, that was ugly but fortunately it was in absolute IMC and
the saving grace was that I had discovered the problem on my own and
corrected for it in what appears to have been a satisfactory manner.

-c

Larry Dighera
October 10th 07, 12:17 AM
On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:39:40 -0700,
wrote in . com>:

>He told
>me I was a competent instrument pilot and gave me a temporary cert! I
>didn't want to argue but over the years I have thought; "dang, I
>must've had the easiest instrument ride EVER!" And to this day I think
>it was grossly insufficient...

The DE's appointment is riding on the airmen he passes. His
experience and the information he gleans from the instructors about
checkride candidates probably tells him more than the examinees'
performance on the ride itself.

Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]
October 10th 07, 12:36 AM
Larry Dighera > wrote in
:

> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:39:40 -0700,
> wrote in . com>:
>
>>He told
>>me I was a competent instrument pilot and gave me a temporary cert! I
>>didn't want to argue but over the years I have thought; "dang, I
>>must've had the easiest instrument ride EVER!" And to this day I think
>>it was grossly insufficient...
>
> The DE's appointment is riding on the airmen he passes. His
> experience and the information he gleans from the instructors about
> checkride candidates probably tells him more than the examinees'
> performance on the ride itself.

Mostly they don't get info from the instructor. In fact, in m experience
almost never. Not in my neighborhood anyway.

As a check airman in a company, you might get a bit more info, but it's
almost better to take 'em as you find 'em.

There's really only one question at the end of a ride.

"Would I put my kids in an airplane with this guy? "

Bertie

Gatt
October 10th 07, 01:20 AM
"SockPuppet" > wrote in message

>The ensuing discussion between the examiner and the pilot
> of the twin was pretty heated, the DE kept asking "Who's flying the
> plane that just departed McGregor?!". The pilot finally radioed back,
> "WHO wants to know???"
>
> "An FAA examiner wants to know."
>
> Silence.

I might have crashed from too much laughter. Way to stay on the ball.

-c

Ricky
October 10th 07, 06:39 AM
On Oct 9, 4:08 pm, SockPuppet > wrote:

>"Who's flying the plane that just departed McGregor?!".

McGregor, Tx?
I'm an A&P student (with comm./inst. asel) here in Waco at TSTC.
I just met an instructor from Aurora Aviation (McGregor) named Keith
Hill. Super nice guy.

Ricky

B A R R Y[_2_]
October 10th 07, 12:30 PM
Gatt wrote:

>> "An FAA examiner wants to know."
>>
>> Silence.
>
> I might have crashed from too much laughter. Way to stay on the ball.

In the several minutes it took to taxi back to parking on my IR ride, we
heard both a blatant bust of the local Charlie space, and pilot
badgering the tower to make the IFR / VFR clearance choice for him. And
I mean badgering. "No really, what would you do? You know,
unofficially..."

I was just glad the DE wasn't shaking his head in response to something
I was doing. <G>

Dan Luke[_2_]
October 10th 07, 02:40 PM
"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote:

> There's really only one question at the end of a ride.
>
> "Would I put my kids in an airplane with this guy? "

The guy who passed me on my PP checkride must not have thought much of his
kids.

The guy who busted me on my instrument checkride must have been living off
his kids' income.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]
October 10th 07, 02:45 PM
"Dan Luke" > wrote in
:

> "Bertie the Bunyip" wrote:
>
>> There's really only one question at the end of a ride.
>>
>> "Would I put my kids in an airplane with this guy? "
>
> The guy who passed me on my PP checkride must not have thought much of
> his kids.
>
> The guy who busted me on my instrument checkride must have been living
> off his kids' income.

Heh he. good points.

Maybe guy one gave his kids a picture of you,

Bertie

Google