PDA

View Full Version : Quieting a gasoline driven compressor

Michael Horowitz
October 14th 07, 12:27 PM
In the last 6 month's I've rescured a gasoline-driven air compressor.
It gives ma 125PSI and a volume that seems to fit my needs
(translation - so far, so good); unfortunately it's LOUD. I replaced
the muffler on the 5.5 hp Honda engine but it's still LOUD.
Short of putting it in an insulated box, or converting it to electric,
anyone have any ideas how I might quiet it? - Mike

Vaughn Simon
October 14th 07, 02:31 PM
"Michael Horowitz" > wrote in message
> Short of putting it in an insulated box, or converting it to electric,
> anyone have any ideas how I might quiet it?

It would probably be too loud even if it had an electric motor,
particularly if the compressor is of the light weight, oiless variety. An
intake muffler on the compressor may help a bit, but the fact is that
compressors are loud and engines tend to be even louder, even with good
mufflers. I am afraid that there is no "magic bullet" here. When I built my
generator shed in my back yard (20 feet away from the house to manage the din) I
buried an air hose so that my compressor could also be banished out there.

Vaughn

John Ammeter
October 14th 07, 04:58 PM
Either build a small insulated building with good ventilation for the
gas engine or move it to a distant location. Probably shouldn't move it
next to your neighbors bedroom, though...

I've got my Honda 6.5 KW generator in a small shed next to my garage.
When I use it (during storm power outages) I open the door (which faces
away from my house) and start it up. I've got a box fan inside the shed
which I use to help keep the shed "ventilated". That helps with cooling
of the engine plus keeps the exhaust gases out of the shed.

The "noise" from the generator is virtually non-existant... I can't
hear it in the house and none of the neighbors can hear it at all. On
the other hand, I CAN hear the generator from one neighbor who is at
least 600 feet away from me... Luckily, he's just bought a water cooled
Honda also so this winter it should be a lot quieter here..

John

Michael Horowitz wrote:
> In the last 6 month's I've rescured a gasoline-driven air compressor.
> It gives ma 125PSI and a volume that seems to fit my needs
> (translation - so far, so good); unfortunately it's LOUD. I replaced
> the muffler on the 5.5 hp Honda engine but it's still LOUD.
> Short of putting it in an insulated box, or converting it to electric,
> anyone have any ideas how I might quiet it? - Mike

jerry wass
October 14th 07, 08:00 PM
John Ammeter wrote:
> Either build a small insulated building with good ventilation for the
> gas engine or move it to a distant location. Probably shouldn't move it
> next to your neighbors bedroom, though...
>
> I've got my Honda 6.5 KW generator in a small shed next to my garage.
> When I use it (during storm power outages) I open the door (which faces
> away from my house) and start it up. I've got a box fan inside the shed
> which I use to help keep the shed "ventilated". That helps with cooling
> of the engine plus keeps the exhaust gases out of the shed.
>
> The "noise" from the generator is virtually non-existant... I can't
> hear it in the house and none of the neighbors can hear it at all. On
> the other hand, I CAN hear the generator from one neighbor who is at
> least 600 feet away from me... Luckily, he's just bought a water cooled
> Honda also so this winter it should be a lot quieter here..
>
> John
>
> Michael Horowitz wrote:
>> In the last 6 month's I've rescured a gasoline-driven air compressor.
>> It gives ma 125PSI and a volume that seems to fit my needs
>> (translation - so far, so good); unfortunately it's LOUD. I replaced
>> the muffler on the 5.5 hp Honda engine but it's still LOUD. Short of
>> putting it in an insulated box, or converting it to electric,
>> anyone have any ideas how I might quiet it? - Mike

Plumb the exhaust straight UP !! with or without muffler It will be
nearly inaudible--try to get about 8 ft vertical. Jerry

jerry wass
October 14th 07, 08:07 PM
Jerry Wass wrote:
> John Ammeter wrote:
>> Either build a small insulated building with good ventilation for the
>> gas engine or move it to a distant location. Probably shouldn't move
>> it next to your neighbors bedroom, though...
>>
>> I've got my Honda 6.5 KW generator in a small shed next to my garage.
>> When I use it (during storm power outages) I open the door (which
>> faces away from my house) and start it up. I've got a box fan inside
>> the shed which I use to help keep the shed "ventilated". That helps
>> with cooling of the engine plus keeps the exhaust gases out of the shed.
>>
>> The "noise" from the generator is virtually non-existant... I can't
>> hear it in the house and none of the neighbors can hear it at all. On
>> the other hand, I CAN hear the generator from one neighbor who is at
>> least 600 feet away from me... Luckily, he's just bought a water
>> cooled Honda also so this winter it should be a lot quieter here..
>>
>> John
>>
>> Michael Horowitz wrote:
>>> In the last 6 month's I've rescured a gasoline-driven air compressor.
>>> It gives ma 125PSI and a volume that seems to fit my needs
>>> (translation - so far, so good); unfortunately it's LOUD. I replaced
>>> the muffler on the 5.5 hp Honda engine but it's still LOUD. Short of
>>> putting it in an insulated box, or converting it to electric,
>>> anyone have any ideas how I might quiet it? - Mike
>

> Plumb the exhaust straight UP !! with or without muffler It will be
> nearly inaudible--try to get about 8 ft vertical. Jerry

A noisy intake can be quieted the same way but you will have to install
a horizontal run that can be drained of rainwater.

Google