PDA

View Full Version : USAF VIP flight at ABIA (0/1)

MikeB[_2_]
October 15th 07, 03:10 AM
When I got to work today my sergeant told me to head to the Airport
(Austin Bergstrom International) to help secure a perimeter for a
VIP flight.
Managed to get a few photos while there

Lonnie J. Potter
October 16th 07, 07:51 PM
I was assigned as an Air Request Net Operator with the 712 Air Support
Operations Center (ASOC) at Bergstrom back in 1982-83. It's now located on
Ft. Hood, isn't it? I was also a Presidential/VIP Radio Operator with
Special Air Missions (SAM) and Mystic Star at Andrews from 1986-89. Did you
happen to find out later whom was onboard SAM 10041?

Although not a licensed pilot, I have been fortunate enough to get some
stick time in some awesome aircraft, and this newsgroup brings back a lot of
find memories of my days when I wore Air Force Blue! Thank you, one and
all, for all your awesome photography skills and for the pictures you
post!!!

SSGT Lonnie J. Potter
US Air Force (Retired)
Disabled Desert Storm/Shield/Calm Veteran
Chaplain
Chapter 55, Madison County, KY
Disabled American Veterans

MikeB[_2_]
October 16th 07, 10:38 PM
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 14:51:15 -0400, "Lonnie J. Potter"
> wrote:

The 712 ASOC did move to Ft Hood when Bergstrom AFB close and
converted to ABIA in 1996
If your interested heres their website

http://www.hood.army.mil/712th_ASOS/home.html

Found out it was the First Lady flying in to make a speech here in
town.

Lonnie J. Potter
October 17th 07, 05:45 AM
Then the callsign while she was onboard was Executive One Foxtrot.

Lonnie

P.S. Thanks for the website.

J.F.
October 18th 07, 12:08 PM
Didn't they operate out of Robert Gray Army Airfield @ Ft Hood during the
"Brave Shield" days. I used to deploy down there when I was in the 1st MAPS
out of Dyess AFB in Abilene.

J.F. USAF Ret

Lonnie J. Potter
October 19th 07, 04:04 AM
We also deployed to Camp Bastrop while assigned to Bergstrom.

Lonnie

Google