PDA

View Full Version : Re: My Modest Proposal to End Global Warming, Revitalize General Aviation, and End Our Dependence on Foreign Oil

Skylune
October 19th 07, 09:21 PM
On Oct 13, 4:33 pm, C J Campbell >
wrote:
> Vast numbers of automobiles with 2 or 3 or more cars per household;
> long commutes of single drivers; horrible freeway congestion; urban
> sprawl; loss of farmland and wilderness resources; the decay of cities
> and the takeover of large areas of our cities by lawless gangs; obesity
> caused by everyone eating at fast food joints; dependence on foreign
> oil; global warming; pollution; filth, crud, corruption; hundreds of
> thousands dead in traffic accidents; the closure of local airports
> because of expanding city growth:
>
> All of these problems can be traced to the rise of the superhighway. We
> built it, and everybody moved out of town in an ever-increasing spiral
> of flight to a chimera of utopian suburbia. The only people left in the
> cities were a few of the very rich who understood city life and a lot
> of the extremely poor and desperate. People forgot their responsibility
> to their fellow man because their fellow man who needed help now lived
> in that awful place fifty miles away. City parks were taken over by
> drug users and prostitutes because they were the only ones left.
> Schools, well, schools were simply abandoned to their fate.
>
> The only reason people really live so far from where the work is
> because of the freeway. They thought they would be happy out there, but
> demonstrably they are not. So they keep moving further away, never
> finding happiness, dragging the culture and amenities of the city
> behind them. They wanted to live in quiet farmland, but they wanted
> shopping like they had in the city, so they built huge shopping malls
> and then complained that it was too much like the city and moved even
> further away. They didn't like nosy people telling them how to live in
> the city, so they moved to neighborhoods with restrictive covenants and
> complained. It is madness.
>
> Much of the only land available was near small town airports, so they
> demanded that the airports be closed and developed into more suburbs or
> golf courses. The trains were shut down as freight was transferred to
> the new railroad of the freeways as trucks pulled entire chains of
> trailers behind them across country.
>
> It is time to reverse this trend! Vote no on new freeways! Vote no even
> for maintenance! Elect people who will dynamite the freeways! Elect
> incompetents who will allow the freeways to die of well-deserved
> neglect! Here in Washington State we have been doing that for decades,
> but only half-heartedly. Now is the time to finish the job!
>
> When people realize that suburbia is not the answer, they will move
> back to the cities where they will be happier and those who have to
> live and work in the hinterland and remain behind will be happier.
> Automobile usage will be cut by more than half, along with its
> attendant use of petroleum.
>
> Of course, those who still live out in the sticks will need some other
> way to get around. This will be the rail lines, just like in the old
> [...]

Right on! And, also oppose subsidies paid to GA airports by
commercial passengers and general taxpayers. Stop the subsidies!

Google