PDA

View Full Version : TFR Question

Kyle Boatright
October 29th 07, 03:07 AM
I flew into College Station, Texas on Saturday for the Texas A&M/Kansas
football game. When I spoke with the preflight briefer, he informed me that
the TFR around the game would close the local airfield from 1 hour before to
1 hour after the game.

I have no idea how that played out, but I know that light aircraft
(particularly helicopters) frequently overfly my college team's games and
I've never heard of anyone being busted for a TFR violation. There are no
airfields within several miles (>5) of my team's stadium.

What's going on here... Are these TFR's enforced or are they just a paper
tiger?

Enquiring minds and all that...

Aside: The most interesting part of the flight to and from the game was
seeing the V-22 Osprey up close and personal while enroute. I wonder if he
ever saw us?

KB

Brad[_3_]
October 29th 07, 04:14 AM
A bit off topic, but GO JAYHAWKS!

buttman
October 29th 07, 08:50 AM
On Oct 28, 8:07 pm, "Kyle Boatright" > wrote:
> I flew into College Station, Texas on Saturday for the Texas A&M/Kansas
> football game. When I spoke with the preflight briefer, he informed me that
> the TFR around the game would close the local airfield from 1 hour before to
> 1 hour after the game.
>
> I have no idea how that played out, but I know that light aircraft
> (particularly helicopters) frequently overfly my college team's games and
> I've never heard of anyone being busted for a TFR violation. There are no
> airfields within several miles (>5) of my team's stadium.
>
> What's going on here... Are these TFR's enforced or are they just a paper
> tiger?
>
> Enquiring minds and all that...
>
> Aside: The most interesting part of the flight to and from the game was
> seeing the V-22 Osprey up close and personal while enroute. I wonder if he
> ever saw us?
>
> KB

If you can get permission to fly through a TFR from ATC, you can
legally do so. Those copters are probably on official business.
Probably filming the game, or a police copter chasing a suspect or
something...

Google