PDA

View Full Version : Cannula vs Mask (FAR)

Stefan
October 30th 07, 04:18 PM
I've heard that above some altitude, the FARs require the use of an
oxygen mask rather than a cannula in US registered aircraft. Where do I
find this requirement? (FAR 91.211 doesn't mention it.)

Thanks
Stefan

Robert M. Gary
October 30th 07, 05:09 PM
On Oct 30, 9:18 am, Stefan > wrote:
> I've heard that above some altitude, the FARs require the use of an
> oxygen mask rather than a cannula in US registered aircraft. Where do I
> find this requirement? (FAR 91.211 doesn't mention it.)
>
> Thanks
> Stefan

I'm not sure its a FAR but it is a limitation printed on my O2 system.
I assume that limitation is a condition of its certification.

-Robert

Tom L.
October 30th 07, 05:10 PM
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:18:00 +0100, Stefan >
wrote:

>I've heard that above some altitude, the FARs require the use of an
>oxygen mask rather than a cannula in US registered aircraft. Where do I
>find this requirement? (FAR 91.211 doesn't mention it.)
>
>Thanks
>Stefan

I don't know of a equirement for using it, but there is a reequirement
for having it available on board. See FAR 23.1447.

- Tom

Stefan
October 30th 07, 05:34 PM
Tom L. schrieb:

> I don't know of a equirement for using it, but there is a reequirement
> for having it available on board. See FAR 23.1447.

Thanks, found it.

In simple words: FAR 91.211 requires the use of oxygen above some
altitude, FAR 23.1447 requires that the equipment be a mask above 18'000
feet.

Ron Natalie
October 30th 07, 09:06 PM
Stefan wrote:
> I've heard that above some altitude, the FARs require the use of an
> oxygen mask rather than a cannula in US registered aircraft. Where do I
> find this requirement? (FAR 91.211 doesn't mention it.)
>
> Thanks
> Stefan

The FARs don't care if you suck off the regulator directly.
What's effective is another story.

Ron Natalie
October 30th 07, 09:07 PM
Tom L. wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:18:00 +0100, Stefan >
> wrote:
>
>> I've heard that above some altitude, the FARs require the use of an
>> oxygen mask rather than a cannula in US registered aircraft. Where do I
>> find this requirement? (FAR 91.211 doesn't mention it.)
>>
>> Thanks
>> Stefan
>
> I don't know of a equirement for using it, but there is a reequirement
> for having it available on board. See FAR 23.1447.

That reg only covers the certification requirements for aircraft with
installed oxygen systems.

Ron Natalie
October 30th 07, 09:08 PM
Stefan wrote:
> Tom L. schrieb:
>
>> I don't know of a equirement for using it, but there is a reequirement
>> for having it available on board. See FAR 23.1447.
>
> Thanks, found it.
>
> In simple words: FAR 91.211 requires the use of oxygen above some
> altitude, FAR 23.1447 requires that the equipment be a mask above 18'000
> feet.
It does no such thing.

Ron Natalie
October 30th 07, 09:10 PM
Stefan wrote:
> Tom L. schrieb:
>
>> I don't know of a equirement for using it, but there is a reequirement
>> for having it available on board. See FAR 23.1447.
>
> Thanks, found it.
>
> In simple words: FAR 91.211 requires the use of oxygen above some
> altitude, FAR 23.1447 requires that the equipment be a mask above 18'000
> feet.

No, it says if the aircraft is equipped with oxygen installed and
certified for flight above 18000 feet then, a mask is required.

Robert M. Gary
October 30th 07, 11:28 PM
On Oct 30, 2:06 pm, Ron Natalie > wrote:
> Stefan wrote:
> > I've heard that above some altitude, the FARs require the use of an
> > oxygen mask rather than a cannula in US registered aircraft. Where do I
> > find this requirement? (FAR 91.211 doesn't mention it.)
>
> > Thanks
> > Stefan
>
> The FARs don't care if you suck off the regulator directly.
> What's effective is another story.

Is the pilot obligated to follow the certification of the O2 system?

-Robert

Ron Natalie
October 31st 07, 11:06 AM
Robert M. Gary wrote:
> On Oct 30, 2:06 pm, Ron Natalie > wrote:
>> Stefan wrote:
>>> I've heard that above some altitude, the FARs require the use of an
>>> oxygen mask rather than a cannula in US registered aircraft. Where do I
>>> find this requirement? (FAR 91.211 doesn't mention it.)
>>> Thanks
>>> Stefan
>> The FARs don't care if you suck off the regulator directly.
>> What's effective is another story.
>
> Is the pilot obligated to follow the certification of the O2 system?

What certification?

Google