PDA

View Full Version : Metal cutting bandsaw problem

Anthony W
November 7th 07, 04:03 PM
Anybody here have any experience with one of these critters? I bought a
Jet 1/2 HP last month for cutting aluminum. The saw looks to be of
exceptional quality for being Taiwanese and I'm overall pleased with how
it's made but assembling it was less than fun (getting the legs on was a
bitch...)

My aluminum supplier recommended a 4-6 variable pitch blade but the
closest blade I could was was a 6-8 pitch. Well it cuts like crazy now
rather than loading up but the problem I'm having is the shavings from
cutting get into the wheels of the saw and jam it up. So far I've been
able to blow the shavings away with a stream of air from an air nozzle.
Any one know of a better way to solve this problem or any other tips
for cutting aluminum with this saw?

Tony

Maxwell
November 7th 07, 04:17 PM
"Anthony W" > wrote in message
> Anybody here have any experience with one of these critters? I bought a
> Jet 1/2 HP last month for cutting aluminum. The saw looks to be of
> exceptional quality for being Taiwanese and I'm overall pleased with how
> it's made but assembling it was less than fun (getting the legs on was a
> bitch...)
>
> My aluminum supplier recommended a 4-6 variable pitch blade but the
> closest blade I could was was a 6-8 pitch. Well it cuts like crazy now
> rather than loading up but the problem I'm having is the shavings from
> cutting get into the wheels of the saw and jam it up. So far I've been
> able to blow the shavings away with a stream of air from an air nozzle.
> Any one know of a better way to solve this problem or any other tips for
> cutting aluminum with this saw?

Does it have a recirculating coolant system, or a table that was designed to
drain one?

Maxwell
November 7th 07, 04:19 PM
"Anthony W" > wrote in message
> Anybody here have any experience with one of these critters? I bought a
> Jet 1/2 HP last month for cutting aluminum. The saw looks to be of
> exceptional quality for being Taiwanese and I'm overall pleased with how
> it's made but assembling it was less than fun (getting the legs on was a
> bitch...)
>
> My aluminum supplier recommended a 4-6 variable pitch blade but the
> closest blade I could was was a 6-8 pitch. Well it cuts like crazy now
> rather than loading up but the problem I'm having is the shavings from
> cutting get into the wheels of the saw and jam it up. So far I've been
> able to blow the shavings away with a stream of air from an air nozzle.
> Any one know of a better way to solve this problem or any other tips for
> cutting aluminum with this saw?

I have also seen small rotary wire brushes (designed for a drill motor or
such) bearing mounted to turn at an angle, rotated by only the passing
blade, but scrubing chips from the blade.

Anthony W
November 7th 07, 04:20 PM
Maxwell wrote:

> Does it have a recirculating coolant system, or a table that was designed to
> drain one?

Nope, it's not that sophisticated.

Tony

Maxwell
November 7th 07, 04:27 PM
"Anthony W" > wrote in message
> Maxwell wrote:
>>
>> Does it have a recirculating coolant system, or a table that was designed
>> to drain one?
>
> Nope, it's not that sophisticated.

You might consider mounting it in a large metal tray that would catch the
coolant. If you ever cut much steel with it, it can be well worth the
trouble in blade life. But beware of some cutting oils, they can cause the
blade to keep jumping off the cheaper saws. But a water based might do the
trick.

Otherwise, you might try the rotary brush deal. I have seen it used a lot on
verticals for cutting aluminum with just wax.

Rich S.[_1_]
November 7th 07, 05:12 PM
"Maxwell" > wrote in message

> I have also seen small rotary wire brushes (designed for a drill motor or
> such) bearing mounted to turn at an angle, rotated by only the passing
> blade, but scrubing chips from the blade.

Even less sophisticated would be a couple of toothbrush-size wire brushes
mounted, one on each side of the blade and/or mounted to scrub the debris
off the rubber tires. Harborfreight sells some cheap brass brushes which
work well for this.

Rich S.

Morgans[_2_]
November 7th 07, 09:18 PM
"Rich S." > wrote in message
. ..
> "Maxwell" > wrote in message
>>
>> I have also seen small rotary wire brushes (designed for a drill motor or
>> such) bearing mounted to turn at an angle, rotated by only the passing
>> blade, but scrubing chips from the blade.
>
> Even less sophisticated would be a couple of toothbrush-size wire brushes
> mounted, one on each side of the blade and/or mounted to scrub the debris
> off the rubber tires. Harborfreight sells some cheap brass brushes which
> work well for this.

That is the approach I have seen on metal bandsaws.

Mount them stationary on the part that adjusts the second guide blocks or
wheels, just past the guides. Mount them to have a little tilt, so that the
first part that gets brushed is the back, and then angling down to the
teeth. This will brush them down off the blades, with gravity helping out.
--
Jim in NC

Maxwell
November 7th 07, 11:52 PM
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "Rich S." > wrote in message
> . ..
>> "Maxwell" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I have also seen small rotary wire brushes (designed for a drill motor
>>> or such) bearing mounted to turn at an angle, rotated by only the
>>> passing blade, but scrubing chips from the blade.
>>
>> Even less sophisticated would be a couple of toothbrush-size wire brushes
>> mounted, one on each side of the blade and/or mounted to scrub the debris
>> off the rubber tires. Harborfreight sells some cheap brass brushes which
>> work well for this.
>
> That is the approach I have seen on metal bandsaws.
>
> Mount them stationary on the part that adjusts the second guide blocks or
> wheels, just past the guides. Mount them to have a little tilt, so that
> the first part that gets brushed is the back, and then angling down to the
> teeth. This will brush them down off the blades, with gravity helping
> out.
> --

Stationary brushes are ok, but the rotary a lot more robust and run longer
without adjustment.

November 8th 07, 09:47 AM
On Nov 7, 6:03 am, Anthony W > wrote:
> Anybody here have any experience with one of these critters? I bought a
> Jet 1/2 HP last month for cutting aluminum. The saw looks to be of
> exceptional quality for being Taiwanese and I'm overall pleased with how
> it's made but assembling it was less than fun (getting the legs on was a
> bitch...)
>
> My aluminum supplier recommended a 4-6 variable pitch blade but the
> closest blade I could was was a 6-8 pitch. Well it cuts like crazy now
> rather than loading up but the problem I'm having is the shavings from
> cutting get into the wheels of the saw and jam it up. So far I've been
> able to blow the shavings away with a stream of air from an air nozzle.
> Any one know of a better way to solve this problem or any other tips
> for cutting aluminum with this saw?
>
> Tony

I just lurk here. Post this on rec.crafts.metalworking where I hang
out.
Karl

Anthony W
November 8th 07, 03:34 PM
Maxwell wrote:

> I have also seen small rotary wire brushes (designed for a drill motor or
> such) bearing mounted to turn at an angle, rotated by only the passing
> blade, but scrubbing chips from the blade.

Thanks, That's an interesting idea and I'll look into it. It would also
add the benefit of removing any loading of the blade. The 6-8 pitch
blade doesn't load much but a few chips will stick here and there.

Tony

Anthony W
November 8th 07, 03:37 PM
Maxwell wrote:

> Stationary brushes are ok, but the rotary a lot more robust and run longer
> without adjustment.

Thanks guys, I'm going to look into these suggestions.

Tony

Rich S.[_1_]
November 8th 07, 05:12 PM
"Maxwell" > wrote in message

> Stationary brushes are ok, but the rotary a lot more robust and run longer
> without adjustment.

Perhaps, but the problem as I read it is the loading of debris on the tires,
not clogging of the blade. A spring-loaded brush cleaning the tire may be
all that's needed.

Rich S.

Denny
November 8th 07, 09:00 PM
On Nov 8, 4:47 am, " > wrote:
> On Nov 7, 6:03 am, Anthony W > wrote:
>
> > Anybody here have any experience with one of these critters? I bought a
> > Jet 1/2 HP last month for cutting aluminum. The saw looks to be of
> > exceptional quality for being Taiwanese and I'm overall pleased with how
> > it's made but assembling it was less than fun (getting the legs on was a
> > bitch...)
>
> > My aluminum supplier recommended a 4-6 variable pitch blade but the
> > closest blade I could was was a 6-8 pitch. Well it cuts like crazy now
> > rather than loading up but the problem I'm having is the shavings from
> > cutting get into the wheels of the saw and jam it up. So far I've been
> > able to blow the shavings away with a stream of air from an air nozzle.
> > Any one know of a better way to solve this problem or any other tips
> > for cutting aluminum with this saw?
>
> > Tony
>
> I just lurk here. Post this on rec.crafts.metalworking where I hang
> out.
> Karl

We cut a fair amount of aluminum and use the bandsaw... We also use
the table saw and with a fine tooth blade it does a fine job... We
prefer the table saw for flat work, ripping sheet stock, etc......
denny

Maxwell
November 8th 07, 11:46 PM
"Anthony W" > wrote in message
> Maxwell wrote:
>
>> I have also seen small rotary wire brushes (designed for a drill motor or
>> such) bearing mounted to turn at an angle, rotated by only the passing
>> blade, but scrubbing chips from the blade.
>
> Thanks, That's an interesting idea and I'll look into it. It would also
> add the benefit of removing any loading of the blade. The 6-8 pitch blade
> doesn't load much but a few chips will stick here and there.

You might want to consider one of the low end mist coolant systems also.
Keeping the blade moist might reduce or eliminate your chip problem, and/or
make them easier to brush away, without the need for a coolant friendly
table.

It can also eliminate the need to use wax on the blade while cutting
aluminum. Using one with a magnetic mount could also make the same mist unit
portable to a drill press or something when you are not using the saw.

Maxwell
November 8th 07, 11:48 PM
"Denny" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Nov 8, 4:47 am, " > wrote:
>> On Nov 7, 6:03 am, Anthony W > wrote:
>>
>> > Anybody here have any experience with one of these critters? I bought
>> > Jet 1/2 HP last month for cutting aluminum. The saw looks to be of
>> > exceptional quality for being Taiwanese and I'm overall pleased with
>> > how
>> > it's made but assembling it was less than fun (getting the legs on was
>> > bitch...)
>>
>> > My aluminum supplier recommended a 4-6 variable pitch blade but the
>> > closest blade I could was was a 6-8 pitch. Well it cuts like crazy now
>> > rather than loading up but the problem I'm having is the shavings from
>> > cutting get into the wheels of the saw and jam it up. So far I've been
>> > able to blow the shavings away with a stream of air from an air nozzle.
>> > Any one know of a better way to solve this problem or any other tips
>> > for cutting aluminum with this saw?
>>
>> > Tony
>>
>> I just lurk here. Post this on rec.crafts.metalworking where I hang
>> out.
>> Karl
>
> We cut a fair amount of aluminum and use the bandsaw... We also use
> the table saw and with a fine tooth blade it does a fine job... We
> prefer the table saw for flat work, ripping sheet stock, etc......
> denny

Indeed. I have cut a lot of 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 aluminum plate with a skill
saw. Just get a good full face shield.

Morgans[_2_]
April 2nd 08, 11:40 PM
"Anthony W" > wrote

> My aluminum supplier recommended a 4-6 variable pitch blade but the
> closest blade I could was was a 6-8 pitch. Well it cuts like crazy now
> rather than loading up but the problem I'm having is the shavings from
> cutting get into the wheels of the saw and jam it up. So far I've been
> able to blow the shavings away with a stream of air from an air nozzle.
> Any one know of a better way to solve this problem or any other tips for
> cutting aluminum with this saw?

Are there not a set of small diameter wire brush wheels rubbing against the
blade, to rub the aluminum off of the blade?

They need to be set so that the rotation of the blade causes the wheels to
go around, but at around a 45 degree angle, to rub the aluminum off, to drop
away before there is a chance for it to build up.

Lacking that, there is always cutting fluid and a pump to wash the chips
away.
--
Jim in NC

Morgans[_2_]
April 2nd 08, 11:44 PM
OOps. Sorry; I did not realize that I was responding to a very old post,
until it was too late.
--
Jim in NC

Anthony W
April 3rd 08, 11:09 PM
Morgans wrote:
> OOps. Sorry; I did not realize that I was responding to a very old post,
> until it was too late.

I solved the problem by setting up a shop vac to suck up the chips off
the stock being cut. It's not an elegant solution but it works. There
wasn't room to install a rolling wire brush but it probably would work
on a larger saw.

Tony

Google