PDA

View Full Version : Boeing Surplus closing?

cavelamb himself[_4_]
November 8th 07, 05:20 AM
Carl posted the note in Rec.Metalworking.

Sad.
Looks like the end of an era - literally.

Ron Wanttaja
November 8th 07, 05:39 AM
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 23:20:59 -0600, cavelamb himself >
wrote:

> Carl posted the note in Rec.Metalworking.
>
> Sad.
> Looks like the end of an era - literally.

http://www.saveboeingsurplus.com/

Here's the obituary published in last month's EAA Chapter 26 Newsletter:

R.I.P. Boeing Surplus
1972-2007

It is with deepest sorrow that we must report the passing of Boeing Surplus.
This long-time Kent resident’s generosity was legendary to the local
homebuilding community. Boeing Surplus skinned many a T-18, provided the bolts
for holding together planes from Fly Babies to Glasairs, and make sure that the
tool cabinets of local builders brimmed with exotic tools and that their hangars
had rows and rows of seats with garish airline upholstery.

Boeing Surplus was popular with the kids, too, providing many an odd piece of
aviation hardware to grace bedrooms, basements, and backyard gyms. Two of this
editor’s favorite toys (a 727 pilot seat and a B-29 autopilot formation stick)
came from the smorgasbord racks in the big concrete building.

It must be admitted that Boeing Surplus had been going downhill for quite a
while—many of its best products were denied to builders ten-fifteen years ago,
and this parsimony resulted in little more than rows of obsolete office supplies
and tattered gloves. Still, one must honor Boeing Surplus for the fine friend
to the homebuilder it had been in its younger days.

Final rites will be in December, including a 21 rivet-gun salute by Chapter 26
members.

Ron Wanttaja

Google