PDA

View Full Version : Home Built Choppers

Chris Stubbs
September 2nd 03, 12:19 AM
Hello everyone
I'n new to this newsgroup, my interest has been sparked after comming across
this website http://www.prismz.com/helio/ they claim to sell plans to build
your own chopper, does anyone know of similar sites?? Or have anyone made
something similar?
Regards Chris

Roger Halstead
September 3rd 03, 02:07 AM
On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 09:57:46 GMT, Richard Lamb >
wrote:

>Chris Stubbs wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone
>> I'n new to this newsgroup, my interest has been sparked after comming across
>> this website http://www.prismz.com/helio/ they claim to sell plans to build
>> your own chopper, does anyone know of similar sites?? Or have anyone made
>> something similar?
>> Regards Chris
>

>I know of maybe a hundred homebuilt fixed winf aircraft.
>
>Heard a rumor of an od Scorpion helicopter somewhere in town.
>Never seen it tho.
>
>Lone Star Helicopter is the only amature built helicopter I've
>ever seen in real life.
>But I've never seen it fly.

Rotoway Exec near here. I've seen it fly quite a bit. I've also seen
the owner put in a *LOT* of work.

One day the tail rotor belt became a bit loose and started slapping
the inside of the tail cone. He set it down a bit too
enthusiastically and bent the boom... He fixed it and is back in the
air.

I don't know that much about choppers, but being some what chicken in
my old age, I'd stick to commercially manufactured ones.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

>Draw your own conclusions...

Capt. Doug
September 3rd 03, 03:45 AM
>Chris Stubbs wrote in message > I'n new to this newsgroup, my interest has
been >sparked after comming across
> this website http://www.prismz.com/helio/ they claim to sell plans to
build
> your own chopper, does anyone know of similar sites?? Or have anyone
made
> something similar?

Many of the designs that are offered on that site are not proven designs.
The fact that few people invest their time and money in them should tell you
something. Experimental helicopters are not toys. The results of poor
engineering have deadly results.

D.

Stu Fields
September 3rd 03, 05:04 AM
Igor Sikorsky once said something to the effect that all helicopter
designers should fly their own designs. That way we could get rid of bad
designers. I have not got any first hand info on the subject site. I have
been to numerous fly-ins where Ultrasport, Rotorway, Safari, and Mini-500s
and a single Angel have flown. At the same fly-ins I've seen some of the
other "Ultralites" such as a G-1, A/W and a few others, but I've never seen
any of the "Ultralites" fly.. I've seen pictures purporting to be ships in
the air, but I've never seen one in the air.
BTW I think that the accident rate for the R-22 "certified" helicopter ain't
too great.

Stu Fields Builder, Pilot and Broker for the Safari Kit Helicopter.
"Chris Stubbs" > wrote in message
> Hello everyone
> I'n new to this newsgroup, my interest has been sparked after comming
across
> this website http://www.prismz.com/helio/ they claim to sell plans to
build
> your own chopper, does anyone know of similar sites?? Or have anyone
made
> something similar?
> Regards Chris

Google