PDA

View Full Version : Are 100% electric ultralights around?

YouHelpBuild.com
November 16th 07, 08:37 AM
What problems can anyone forsee to building a 100% electric ultralight
aircraft for short & mid-range commuters to get back & forth to work
(aside from air traffic issues... it IS a big sky after all)? I
understand the average commute is less than 30 miles in land based
vehicles which would generally mean less than a 30 minute flight for
most people. Of course, ultralights are currently restricted from
flying over neighborhoods, so there would have to be some changes in
regulations for the average person to take off & land an aircraft from
their front drive, but wouldn't it be a reasonable idea?

And, by the way... does anyone know of a decent 100% electric
ultralight aircraft with plans available for homebuilders?

Rob Turk[_2_]
November 16th 07, 11:00 AM
900 lbs of batteries perhaps?

"YouHelpBuild.com" > wrote in message
> What problems can anyone forsee to building a 100% electric ultralight
> aircraft for short & mid-range commuters to get back & forth to work
> (aside from air traffic issues... it IS a big sky after all)? I
> understand the average commute is less than 30 miles in land based
> vehicles which would generally mean less than a 30 minute flight for
> most people. Of course, ultralights are currently restricted from
> flying over neighborhoods, so there would have to be some changes in
> regulations for the average person to take off & land an aircraft from
> their front drive, but wouldn't it be a reasonable idea?
>
> And, by the way... does anyone know of a decent 100% electric
> ultralight aircraft with plans available for homebuilders?

Lou
November 16th 07, 12:02 PM
I thought I saw one on youtube.
Lou

JohnO
November 16th 07, 01:04 PM
On Nov 16, 8:37 am, "YouHelpBuild.com" > wrote:
> What problems can anyone forsee to building a 100% electric ultralight
> aircraft for short & mid-range commuters to get back & forth to work
> (aside from air traffic issues... it IS a big sky after all)? I
> understand the average commute is less than 30 miles in land based
> vehicles which would generally mean less than a 30 minute flight for
> most people. Of course, ultralights are currently restricted from
> flying over neighborhoods, so there would have to be some changes in
> regulations for the average person to take off & land an aircraft from
> their front drive, but wouldn't it be a reasonable idea?
>
> And, by the way... does anyone know of a decent 100% electric
> ultralight aircraft with plans available for homebuilders?

Where does everybody land that is near enough to their work?

Bob Kuykendall
November 16th 07, 03:53 PM
At the last ESA West Workshop at Tehachapi, Greg Cole mentioned
something about an electric SparrowHawk.

Steve Hix
November 16th 07, 09:54 PM
In article
JohnO > wrote:

> On Nov 16, 8:37 am, "YouHelpBuild.com" > wrote:
> > What problems can anyone forsee to building a 100% electric ultralight
> > aircraft for short & mid-range commuters to get back & forth to work
> > (aside from air traffic issues... it IS a big sky after all)? I
> > understand the average commute is less than 30 miles in land based
> > vehicles which would generally mean less than a 30 minute flight for
> > most people. Of course, ultralights are currently restricted from
> > flying over neighborhoods, so there would have to be some changes in
> > regulations for the average person to take off & land an aircraft from
> > their front drive, but wouldn't it be a reasonable idea?
> >
> > And, by the way... does anyone know of a decent 100% electric
> > ultralight aircraft with plans available for homebuilders?
>
> Where does everybody land that is near enough to their work?

My office is about a mile from Palo Alto airport, south of SFO.

But being 45+ miles from home, I generally telecommute.

J.Kahn
November 16th 07, 11:36 PM
YouHelpBuild.com wrote:
> What problems can anyone forsee to building a 100% electric ultralight
> aircraft for short & mid-range commuters to get back & forth to work
> (aside from air traffic issues... it IS a big sky after all)? I
> understand the average commute is less than 30 miles in land based
> vehicles which would generally mean less than a 30 minute flight for
> most people. Of course, ultralights are currently restricted from
> flying over neighborhoods, so there would have to be some changes in
> regulations for the average person to take off & land an aircraft from
> their front drive, but wouldn't it be a reasonable idea?
>
> And, by the way... does anyone know of a decent 100% electric
> ultralight aircraft with plans available for homebuilders?

There are already a couple of electric sailplanes. It's only a matter
of time.

This one has an endurance of one hour at cruise power.

http://www.alisport.com/eu/eng/faq.htm

John

Oliver Arend
November 18th 07, 12:59 AM
The University of Stuttgart is currently working on a motorglider