PDA

View Full Version : "Hi-jacked bomber flew to Scotland"

Dingo[_2_]
November 19th 07, 07:57 PM
Just posting this as I think it may be of interest to some of you good
folks.

Apologies for posting this way, I'm still trying to get my head around my
newish PC and its assorted programs.

This clipping, which is from the UK's Sunday Express newspaper dated
28.4.74., I found inside a book that had been "lost" for more years than I
can recall.

So now we know, the Ju 88 was really a WW1 a/c <vbg>
~~
Dingo ;~)

Robert Sveinson
November 19th 07, 10:16 PM
"Dingo" > wrote in message

> Just posting this as I think it may be of interest to some of you good
> folks.
>
> Apologies for posting this way, I'm still trying to get my head around my
> newish PC and its assorted programs.
>
> This clipping, which is from the UK's Sunday Express newspaper dated
> 28.4.74., I found inside a book that had been "lost" for more years than I
> can recall.
>
> So now we know, the Ju 88 was really a WW1 a/c <vbg>
> ~~
> Dingo ;~)

"British knowledge of German airborne interception radar was greatly
enhanced when, literally out of the blue, a Lichtenstein-equipped Ju 88R-1
D5+EV, landed at the RAF station at Dyce, Aberdeen. The pilot was
Oberleutnant Heinrich Schmitt, a veteran of the Spanish Civil War and the
Battle of Britain, the radar operator Oberfeldwebel Paul Rosenberger, and
the
flight mechanic Oberfeldwebel Erich Kantwill, and they had planned their
flight to the British Isles and their defection very carefully. Members of
10./NJG 3 stationed at Grove in Denmark, they had been temporarily
detached
to the airfield at Kristiansund on the southern coast of Norway in
response
a requirement voiced by Hitler that the nightly RAF courier flight between
Stockholm and London should be intercepted and shot down. At about 15:30
hrs. on 9 May 1943 the Ju 88 took off, ostensibly for a routine airtest,
and
shortly afterwards the radio operator, in accordance with their plan,
transmitted
an SOS message to the effect that there was an engine on fire and they
were
ditching in the sea. Air-sea rescue machines sent off in response to the
distress
call found floating rubber dinghies, but understandably no sigh of the
aircraft
itself."

From: The Other Battle Luftwaffe Night Aces Versus Bomber Command
By: Peter Hinchliffe

Brian O'Neill
November 20th 07, 02:46 AM
So, why did they do it? Dyed in the wool anti-fascists, or just a crew
tired of the war and the probability of getting killed? There surely is
more to the story than this, intriguing though it is.

Brian

Dingo[_2_]
November 20th 07, 01:00 PM
"Robert Sveinson" > wrote in message

> "Dingo" > wrote in message
>>
>> Just posting this as I think it may be of interest to some of you good
>> folks.
>>
>> Apologies for posting this way, I'm still trying to get my head around my
>> newish PC and its assorted programs.
>>
>> This clipping, which is from the UK's Sunday Express newspaper dated
>> 28.4.74., I found inside a book that had been "lost" for more years than
>> can recall.
>>
>> So now we know, the Ju 88 was really a WW1 a/c <vbg>
>> ~~
>> Dingo ;~)
>>

> "British knowledge of German airborne interception radar was greatly
> enhanced when, literally out of the blue, a Lichtenstein-equipped Ju 88R-1
> D5+EV, landed at the RAF station at Dyce, Aberdeen. The pilot was
> Oberleutnant Heinrich Schmitt, a veteran of the Spanish Civil War and the
> Battle of Britain, the radar operator Oberfeldwebel Paul Rosenberger, and
> the
> flight mechanic Oberfeldwebel Erich Kantwill, and they had planned their
> flight to the British Isles and their defection very carefully. Members of
> 10./NJG 3 stationed at Grove in Denmark, they had been temporarily
> detached
> to the airfield at Kristiansund on the southern coast of Norway in
> response
> a requirement voiced by Hitler that the nightly RAF courier flight between
> Stockholm and London should be intercepted and shot down. At about 15:30
> hrs. on 9 May 1943 the Ju 88 took off, ostensibly for a routine airtest,
> and
> shortly afterwards the radio operator, in accordance with their plan,
> transmitted
> an SOS message to the effect that there was an engine on fire and they
> were
> ditching in the sea. Air-sea rescue machines sent off in response to the
> distress
> call found floating rubber dinghies, but understandably no sigh of the
> aircraft
> itself."
>
> From: The Other Battle Luftwaffe Night Aces Versus Bomber Command
> By: Peter Hinchliffe

Thanks, Robert, for the extra detail. I'll have to try and find some time to
do a bit of digging on this subject in respect to the a/c's crew.

There is reference to this incident at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_88

Cheers,
Dingo ;-)

Dingo[_2_]
November 20th 07, 02:16 PM
"Brian O'Neill" > wrote in message
g.com...
> So, why did they do it? Dyed in the wool anti-fascists, or just a crew
> tired of the war and the probability of getting killed? There surely is
> more to the story than this, intriguing though it is.
>
> Brian

It's got me wondering to, Brian. I also wonder why the newspaper ran that
item at the time ~ 1974.
~~
Dingo

Neil Hoskins
November 20th 07, 04:37 PM
"Dingo" > wrote in message

> "Brian O'Neill" > wrote in message
> g.com...
>> So, why did they do it? Dyed in the wool anti-fascists, or just a crew
>> tired of the war and the probability of getting killed? There surely is
>> more to the story than this, intriguing though it is.
>>
>> Brian
>
> It's got me wondering to, Brian. I also wonder why the newspaper ran that
> item at the time ~ 1974.

There was a load of stuff that never came to light until the nineteen
seventies, like Station X in Bletchley and Ultra. My guess is that this
would have been the thirty-year rule.

John Szalay
November 20th 07, 08:44 PM
"Dingo" > wrote in

> This clipping, which is from the UK's Sunday Express newspaper dated
> 28.4.74., I found inside a book that had been "lost" for more years
> than I can recall.
>
> So now we know, the Ju 88 was really a WW1 a/c <vbg>
> ~~
> Dingo ;~)

This "hijacking" was detailed in R.V. Jones book
"Most Secret War" published in 1978
(pages 327-330 of the 1998 edition)

According to the text, the 3 man crew was ordered to shootdown
the Civil courier flyight from Scotland to Stockholm, and since they
little sympathy with the Nazis decided to defect.they were escorted to
Dyce, and debriefed. with British preforming extensive evaluations of the
radar and the aircraft..

Robert Sveinson
November 20th 07, 10:20 PM
"Dingo" > wrote in message

> "Robert Sveinson" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dingo" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Just posting this as I think it may be of interest to some of you good
>>> folks.
>>>
>>> Apologies for posting this way, I'm still trying to get my head around
>>> my
>>> newish PC and its assorted programs.
>>>
>>> This clipping, which is from the UK's Sunday Express newspaper dated
>>> 28.4.74., I found inside a book that had been "lost" for more years than
>>> can recall.
>>>
>>> So now we know, the Ju 88 was really a WW1 a/c <vbg>
>>> ~~
>>> Dingo ;~)
>>>

>> "British knowledge of German airborne interception radar was greatly
>> enhanced when, literally out of the blue, a Lichtenstein-equipped Ju
>> 88R-1
>> D5+EV, landed at the RAF station at Dyce, Aberdeen. The pilot was
>> Oberleutnant Heinrich Schmitt, a veteran of the Spanish Civil War and the
>> Battle of Britain, the radar operator Oberfeldwebel Paul Rosenberger, and
>> the
>> flight mechanic Oberfeldwebel Erich Kantwill, and they had planned their
>> flight to the British Isles and their defection very carefully. Members
>> of
>> 10./NJG 3 stationed at Grove in Denmark, they had been temporarily
>> detached
>> to the airfield at Kristiansund on the southern coast of Norway in
>> response
>> a requirement voiced by Hitler that the nightly RAF courier flight
>> between
>> Stockholm and London should be intercepted and shot down. At about 15:30
>> hrs. on 9 May 1943 the Ju 88 took off, ostensibly for a routine airtest,
>> and
>> shortly afterwards the radio operator, in accordance with their plan,
>> transmitted
>> an SOS message to the effect that there was an engine on fire and they
>> were
>> ditching in the sea. Air-sea rescue machines sent off in response to the
>> distress
>> call found floating rubber dinghies, but understandably no sigh of the
>> aircraft
>> itself."
>>
>> From: The Other Battle Luftwaffe Night Aces Versus Bomber Command
>> By: Peter Hinchliffe
>>

> Thanks, Robert, for the extra detail. I'll have to try and find some time
> do a bit of digging on this subject in respect to the a/c's crew.

I posted my stuff before I saw part II of your photos. I do hope
that there was some extra knowledge in mine.

> There is reference to this incident at:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_88
>
> Cheers,
> Dingo ;-)

Brian O'Neill
November 21st 07, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the info on this! I've visited teh RAF museum at Hendon, and
it's nice to know where the Ju-88 came from.

Interesting, isn't it, that a Spanish Civil War veteran finally got a belly
full of Hitler when ordered to shoot down an unarmed courier aircraft.

Brian

Google