PDA

View Full Version : Oil testing, which oil

December 5th 07, 11:42 PM
Hi all,

Which oil is the most appropriate for boundary layer visualization. I
understand that Dick Johnson used common car oil in his test. What is
the viscosity should I look for?

Thanks to all

Ed Winchester
December 6th 07, 01:43 AM
I was always under the impression that it was basically any used motor
oil, which would be quite black and easily visible. Most cars use
something like 10W-30, so that would be my guess.

Ed

wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Which oil is the most appropriate for boundary layer visualization. I
> understand that Dick Johnson used common car oil in his test. What is
> the viscosity should I look for?
>
> Thanks to all

December 6th 07, 03:51 PM
On Dec 5, 5:42 pm, "
> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Which oil is the most appropriate for boundary layer visualization. I
> understand that Dick Johnson used common car oil in his test. What is
> the viscosity should I look for?
>
> Thanks to all

I believe I heard Dick mention that he uses the oil out of his VW
Rabbit. He likes it cause, being Diesel, it has some very very fine
particulates in it.

Google