PDA

View Full Version : The Wright 1899 Kite Flys Again! ...sort of

wright1902glider
December 6th 07, 09:44 PM
Damned if it ain't flew. Well sorta. On Tuesday we had chinooks here
in Boulder, so at lunch I snuck over to Scott Carpenter Park (uh huh
that guy has a park named after him) and managed 14 flights with the
replica Wright 1899 kite before it rendered itself unflyable. This may
have been the first flight by a Wright machine in Colorado since 1910.
Damage was limited to 3 broken ribs, a broken strut, 2 broken tail
supports, and a fabric puncture. Not bad for 2 minutes' worth of
flying.

Harry Frey
Wright Brothers Enterprises
Frederick, CO

cavelamb himself[_4_]
December 6th 07, 10:56 PM
wright1902glider wrote:
> Damned if it ain't flew. Well sorta. On Tuesday we had chinooks here
> in Boulder, so at lunch I snuck over to Scott Carpenter Park (uh huh
> that guy has a park named after him) and managed 14 flights with the
> replica Wright 1899 kite before it rendered itself unflyable. This may
> have been the first flight by a Wright machine in Colorado since 1910.
> Damage was limited to 3 broken ribs, a broken strut, 2 broken tail
> supports, and a fabric puncture. Not bad for 2 minutes' worth of
> flying.
>
> Harry Frey
> Wright Brothers Enterprises
> Frederick, CO

Yea, Harry!

I'll bet that was as big a thrill as Orville and Wilber had!

Congradulations.

Richard

Vaughn Simon
December 6th 07, 11:18 PM
"wright1902glider" > wrote in message
> Damned if it ain't flew. Well sorta.

Well don't stop there, tell us how it flew. ...like a Cub?

Pictures?

Vaughn

wright1902glider
December 10th 07, 11:04 PM
Well don't stop there, tell us how it flew. ...like a Cub?

> Pictures?
>
> Vaughn

A Cub? Hell, airplanes wouldn't fly that good until Piper invented
the... oh, right.

No fellas, the Wright 1899 kite was nothing more than a quick and
dirty way to see if wing warping was going to work. According to
Orville, the wingspan was only 5 feet. The fact that Wilbur (Orv never
flew it) was inspired to continue after building this machine is the
amazing part. Of the other builders that I've talked to, three
characteristics seem common.

First, it seems impossible to fly it for more than a minute. If its
been done, I've not heard of it. (Supposedly, Tom Crouch of the
Smithsonian has managed 50 seconds, but I've never talked with Tom
Crouch.)

Second, it has almost no roll authority. Get it a little out of shape
and its going to roll over and dive into the ground. The same seems
true for the Wright gliders and airplanes; very slow in roll.

Third, the kite has a nasty habit of becoming classically unstable. By
that I mean that it porpoises worse than even the 1903 did, and that's
a lot. While the gliders and airplanes had an acceptible pitch range
of -2 to +10 degrees AOA, the kite's is much less. When it (not you,
it) wants to, it'll start a wild pitch occilation that will go from 30
cycles/min. to about 90 cycles/min. in less than 2 seconds, if it
doesn't crash or tear itself abart first. Its very fond of doing the
later. Although there are few things more facinating and entertaining
than watching a Wright kite takeoff, climb 8 feet, and then proceed to
shake itself to smithereens, flinging parts at unsuspecting schoolkids
along the way. Sounds pretty cool too. Whapa-whapa
whapawhapawhawpwpwpwpwpwpwpwpwpwpwpwwppw BANG! CRUNCH!

Fun stuff. Time to go shovel more snow and cook a few more ribs.

Harry

PS: Photos from 2001 are available at http://hometown.aol.com/wright1902glider/airshow4.html
and http://hometown.aol.com/wright1902glider/page3.html

Stealth Pilot[_2_]
December 11th 07, 01:20 PM
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:04:03 -0800 (PST), wright1902glider
> wrote:

>Well don't stop there, tell us how it flew. ...like a Cub?
>>
>> Pictures?
>>
>> Vaughn
>

>A Cub? Hell, airplanes wouldn't fly that good until Piper invented
>the... oh, right.
>
>No fellas, the Wright 1899 kite was nothing more than a quick and
>dirty way to see if wing warping was going to work. According to
>Orville, the wingspan was only 5 feet. The fact that Wilbur (Orv never
>flew it) was inspired to continue after building this machine is the
>amazing part. Of the other builders that I've talked to, three
>characteristics seem common.
>
>First, it seems impossible to fly it for more than a minute. If its
>been done, I've not heard of it. (Supposedly, Tom Crouch of the
>Smithsonian has managed 50 seconds, but I've never talked with Tom
>Crouch.)
>
>Second, it has almost no roll authority. Get it a little out of shape
>and its going to roll over and dive into the ground. The same seems
>true for the Wright gliders and airplanes; very slow in roll.
>
>Third, the kite has a nasty habit of becoming classically unstable. By
>that I mean that it porpoises worse than even the 1903 did, and that's
>a lot. While the gliders and airplanes had an acceptible pitch range
>of -2 to +10 degrees AOA, the kite's is much less. When it (not you,
>it) wants to, it'll start a wild pitch occilation that will go from 30
>cycles/min. to about 90 cycles/min. in less than 2 seconds, if it
>doesn't crash or tear itself abart first. Its very fond of doing the
>later. Although there are few things more facinating and entertaining
>than watching a Wright kite takeoff, climb 8 feet, and then proceed to
>shake itself to smithereens, flinging parts at unsuspecting schoolkids
>along the way. Sounds pretty cool too. Whapa-whapa
>whapawhapawhawpwpwpwpwpwpwpwpwpwpwpwwppw BANG! CRUNCH!
>
>Fun stuff. Time to go shovel more snow and cook a few more ribs.
>
>Harry

sounds to me like you have a laminar bubble warbling back and forth on
the aerofoil. some bubble trips might be in order to nail that little
puppy down and make the ride more stable.

you also realise that Old Warden has a flying vintage aircraft from
that era that can only be successfully flown at a single airspeed.

interesting.
Stealth Pilot

wright1902glider
December 13th 07, 05:39 PM
sounds to me like you have a laminar bubble warbling back and forth on
> the aerofoil. some bubble trips might be in order to nail that little
> puppy down and make the ride more stable.
>
> you also realise that Old Warden has a flying vintage aircraft from
> that era that can only be successfully flown at a single airspeed.

Yep,
This is both a center of pressure issue and an AOA stall issue. They
knew about it and finally saw it appear in the metrics from the wind
tunnel 2 years later. Of course they didn't know it was a "bubble",
they just knew that the C.P. moved in mysterious ways as the AOA was
changed, and lift did not build linearly. The airfoil used in the 1899
kite is a flattened parabolic curve, similar to what Chanute, Herring,
Avery, & Huffaker, et al. were using. This changed to a modified
Plin's curve for 1900 and 1901, and then changed again to the Wright
#12 following the wind tunnel tests.

Harry

Google