PDA

View Full Version : USN grounds 39 P-3s over faulty wings

Marco P.J. Borst
December 17th 07, 10:03 PM
(From: www.navytimes.com)

Navy grounds 39 P-3s over faulty wings

By Chris Amos - Staff writer

The Navy on Monday grounded 39 P-3 Orion anti-submarine patrol planes -
nearly one in four of its inventory - because of concerns that a structural
defect could cause either of the aircraft's wings to break off in flight.

The grounding was the result of engineering analysis and computer modeling
and was not caused by any actual structural failures, said John Milliman,
spokesman for Naval Air Systems Command.

Navy engineers looked at several factors, Milliman said, including the
number of hours a particular aircraft has flown, the maneuvers it performed
while in flight, the altitude the aircraft have operated at and the climate
in areas where it has been based in determining which aircraft should be
grounded and which should be kept flying.

Milliman said each grounded aircraft will be flown to a repair depot in
Jacksonville, Fla. Those that can be repaired will be out of service for
between 18 and 24 months. Those that can't will be retired.
Navy officials have not determined how much the repairs will cost or whether
retired aircraft will be replaced, he said.

Navy officials will rotate P-3s from other parts of the fleet to replace the
10 grounded aircraft that are currently deployed, and commanders plan to
ensure that each squadron can meet all of its operational requirements.

The Navy has 161 P-3s. Their average age is 28 years old; the oldest
aircraft is 44 and the youngest 18. Milliman was unable to say whether the
age or flight time of the grounded planes was greater than that of the P-3
fleet as a whole.

PieterW
December 19th 07, 08:05 AM
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 23:03:53 +0100, "Marco P.J. Borst"
> wrote:

>The Navy on Monday grounded 39 P-3 Orion anti-submarine patrol planes -
>nearly one in four of its inventory - because of concerns that a structural
>defect could cause either of the aircraft's wings to break off in flight.

yep daar hadden die oude L-188's in de jaren 60 ook al last van.
haarscheurtjes in de vleugels.
toen ontstond danook het grapje dat de oplossing zou bestaan uit het
boren van een reeks gaatjes in de haarscheuren.
De diepere filosofie was dat pleepapier ook nooit scheurde bij de
gaatjes.

Cheers, Pieter
--
Vernuft is een sublimatie van domheid.©

Mr.Smartypants[_2_]
December 22nd 07, 03:39 AM
On Dec 17, 3:03*pm, "Marco P.J. Borst" > wrote:
> (From:www.navytimes.com)
>
> Navy grounds 39 P-3s over faulty wings
>
> By Chris Amos - Staff writer
>
> The Navy on Monday grounded 39 P-3 Orion anti-submarine patrol planes -
> nearly one in four of its inventory - because of concerns that a structural
> defect could cause either of the aircraft's wings to break off in flight.
>
> The grounding was the result of engineering analysis and computer modeling
> and was not caused by any actual structural failures, said John Milliman,
> spokesman for Naval Air Systems Command.
>
> Navy engineers looked at several factors, Milliman said, including the
> number of hours a particular aircraft has flown, the maneuvers it performed
> while in flight, the altitude the aircraft have operated at and the climate
> in areas where it has been based in determining which aircraft should be
> grounded and which should be kept flying.
>
> Milliman said each grounded aircraft will be flown to a repair depot in
> Jacksonville, Fla. Those that can be repaired will be out of service for
> between 18 and 24 months. Those that can't will be retired.
> Navy officials have not determined how much the repairs will cost or whether
> retired aircraft will be replaced, he said.
>
> Navy officials will rotate P-3s from other parts of the fleet to replace the
> 10 grounded aircraft that are currently deployed, and commanders plan to
> ensure that each squadron can meet all of its operational requirements.
>
> The Navy has 161 P-3s. Their average age is 28 years old; the oldest
> aircraft is 44 and the youngest 18. Milliman was unable to say whether the
> age or flight time of the grounded planes was greater than that of the P-3
> fleet as a whole.

Gee, all America's flying stuff is suddenly being grounded.

However will y'all start new wars?

fudog50[_2_]
January 6th 08, 08:09 AM
I see you are from canada smarty pants?

This "redstripe" doesn't include the CP-140 aurora dip**** do you
even know what that is? Because you guys hardly fly i like we fly
ours? Although your crews are great.

How about all the "wars we started" you guys always manage to limp in
with minimal support, which however weak is appreciated. (except for
WW2, you guys certainly went above and beyond)

Which brings up the point, who is in charge in Canada, the world as a
whole has no clue? Does anyone really care?

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 19:39:29 -0800 (PST), "Mr.Smartypants"
> wrote:

>On Dec 17, 3:03*pm, "Marco P.J. Borst" > wrote:
>> (From:www.navytimes.com)
>>
>> Navy grounds 39 P-3s over faulty wings
>>
>> By Chris Amos - Staff writer
>>
>> The Navy on Monday grounded 39 P-3 Orion anti-submarine patrol planes -
>> nearly one in four of its inventory - because of concerns that a structural
>> defect could cause either of the aircraft's wings to break off in flight.
>>
>> The grounding was the result of engineering analysis and computer modeling
>> and was not caused by any actual structural failures, said John Milliman,
>> spokesman for Naval Air Systems Command.
>>
>> Navy engineers looked at several factors, Milliman said, including the
>> number of hours a particular aircraft has flown, the maneuvers it performed
>> while in flight, the altitude the aircraft have operated at and the climate
>> in areas where it has been based in determining which aircraft should be
>> grounded and which should be kept flying.
>>
>> Milliman said each grounded aircraft will be flown to a repair depot in
>> Jacksonville, Fla. Those that can be repaired will be out of service for
>> between 18 and 24 months. Those that can't will be retired.
>> Navy officials have not determined how much the repairs will cost or whether
>> retired aircraft will be replaced, he said.
>>
>> Navy officials will rotate P-3s from other parts of the fleet to replace the
>> 10 grounded aircraft that are currently deployed, and commanders plan to
>> ensure that each squadron can meet all of its operational requirements.
>>
>> The Navy has 161 P-3s. Their average age is 28 years old; the oldest
>> aircraft is 44 and the youngest 18. Milliman was unable to say whether the
>> age or flight time of the grounded planes as greater than that of the P-3
>> fleet as a whole.
>

>Gee, all America's flying stuff is suddenly being grounded.
>
>However will y'all start new wars?

Google