PDA

View Full Version : Harley oil cooler for interior heat.

December 26th 07, 11:52 PM
I don't have heat inside my canard plane. Now am considering piping
hot engine oil to the cabin through a small oil cooler with a blower.
I am looking at a Harley Dyna oil cooler - about the right size. My
question is whether such a cooler will stand the typical aircraft oil
pressure. My engine oil pressure goes up to about 80 psi when cold
then goes down to about 60 psi. I have seen Harleys with oil cooler
pressure gauges 60psi. But shouldn't they have an extra safety stress
factor?

Any bike experts out there?

I already had an engine heat exchanger with the fan there that I tried
but there was too much CO coming through - so I removed the air
plumbing.
SQ2000 http://www.abri.com/sq2000

Morgans[_2_]
December 27th 07, 01:02 AM
> wrote

>I don't have heat inside my canard plane. Now am considering piping
> hot engine oil to the cabin through a small oil cooler with a blower.
> I am looking at a Harley Dyna oil cooler - about the right size. My
> question is whether such a cooler will stand the typical aircraft oil
> pressure. My engine oil pressure goes up to about 80 psi when cold
> then goes down to about 60 psi. I have seen Harleys with oil cooler
> pressure gauges 60psi. But shouldn't they have an extra safety stress
> factor?

It seems like I recall someone saying that the oil cooler did not put out
enough heat in the winter to be very useful.

It would seem like the bike cooler would be tough enough. I would use it,
but put two in line petcocks in the line to bypass the cooler, and put them
where you can reach it while you are flying. If it did leak, you could turn
it off, but as big of a consideration is the fact that you will not want to
be using it in the summer, anyway!
--
Jim in NC

Anthony W
December 27th 07, 01:05 AM
wrote:
> I don't have heat inside my canard plane. Now am considering piping
> hot engine oil to the cabin through a small oil cooler with a blower.
> I am looking at a Harley Dyna oil cooler - about the right size. My
> question is whether such a cooler will stand the typical aircraft oil
> pressure. My engine oil pressure goes up to about 80 psi when cold
> then goes down to about 60 psi. I have seen Harleys with oil cooler
> pressure gauges 60psi. But shouldn't they have an extra safety stress
> factor?
>
> Any bike experts out there?
>
> I already had an engine heat exchanger with the fan there that I tried
> but there was too much CO coming through - so I removed the air
> plumbing.

That same cooler is sold for other bikes that have higher oil pressure.
Harleys usually only have 4 or 5 PSI oil pressure because the roller
bottom end doesn't need pressure only volume. My local VW shop has
plate type oil coolers much cheaper than the Harley ones. It wouldn't
hurt to check out your local VW shops and auto parts stores then there's
always aircooled.net .

Tony

Bill Daniels
December 27th 07, 04:31 AM
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> > wrote
>
>>I don't have heat inside my canard plane. Now am considering piping
>> hot engine oil to the cabin through a small oil cooler with a blower.
>> I am looking at a Harley Dyna oil cooler - about the right size. My
>> question is whether such a cooler will stand the typical aircraft oil
>> pressure. My engine oil pressure goes up to about 80 psi when cold
>> then goes down to about 60 psi. I have seen Harleys with oil cooler
>> pressure gauges 60psi. But shouldn't they have an extra safety stress
>> factor?
>
> It seems like I recall someone saying that the oil cooler did not put out
> enough heat in the winter to be very useful.
>
> It would seem like the bike cooler would be tough enough. I would use it,
> but put two in line petcocks in the line to bypass the cooler, and put
> them where you can reach it while you are flying. If it did leak, you
> could turn it off, but as big of a consideration is the fact that you will
> not want to be using it in the summer, anyway!
> --
> Jim in NC

Not enough heat? Try flying a GLIDER at -50F. Can you say, "electric
socks"?

Wayne Paul
December 27th 07, 05:11 AM
"Bill Daniels" <bildan@comcast-dot-net> wrote in message

> Not enough heat? Try flying a GLIDER at -50F. Can you say, "electric
> socks"?

Bill,

That is why I do my glider maintenance in the winter. Wave flying is just
to cold for my old bones.

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

XYZ
December 30th 07, 01:30 AM
Why go to all the plumbing hassles, use electric heat, cheaper, lighter,
safer....

--
Have a great day

Scott
"Anthony W" > wrote in message
> wrote:
>> I don't have heat inside my canard plane. Now am considering piping
>> hot engine oil to the cabin through a small oil cooler with a blower.
>> I am looking at a Harley Dyna oil cooler - about the right size. My
>> question is whether such a cooler will stand the typical aircraft oil
>> pressure. My engine oil pressure goes up to about 80 psi when cold
>> then goes down to about 60 psi. I have seen Harleys with oil cooler
>> pressure gauges 60psi. But shouldn't they have an extra safety stress
>> factor?
>>
>> Any bike experts out there?
>>
>> I already had an engine heat exchanger with the fan there that I tried
>> but there was too much CO coming through - so I removed the air
>> plumbing.
>
> That same cooler is sold for other bikes that have higher oil pressure.
> Harleys usually only have 4 or 5 PSI oil pressure because the roller
> bottom end doesn't need pressure only volume. My local VW shop has plate
> type oil coolers much cheaper than the Harley ones. It wouldn't hurt to
> check out your local VW shops and auto parts stores then there's always
> aircooled.net .
>
> Tony

Kyle Boatright
January 1st 08, 11:37 PM
I have never heard anyone who was happy with the little quartz heaters
typically used in EZ's and the like. The concensus seems to be that the
amount of heat put out is very limited and consumes an enormous (at least
from a GA perspective) amount of electricity.

"XYZ" > wrote in message
. ..
> Why go to all the plumbing hassles, use electric heat, cheaper, lighter,
> safer....
>
> --
> Have a great day
>
> Scott
> "Anthony W" > wrote in message
>> wrote:
>>> I don't have heat inside my canard plane. Now am considering piping
>>> hot engine oil to the cabin through a small oil cooler with a blower.
>>> I am looking at a Harley Dyna oil cooler - about the right size. My
>>> question is whether such a cooler will stand the typical aircraft oil
>>> pressure. My engine oil pressure goes up to about 80 psi when cold
>>> then goes down to about 60 psi. I have seen Harleys with oil cooler
>>> pressure gauges 60psi. But shouldn't they have an extra safety stress
>>> factor?
>>>
>>> Any bike experts out there?
>>>
>>> I already had an engine heat exchanger with the fan there that I tried
>>> but there was too much CO coming through - so I removed the air
>>> plumbing.
>>
>> That same cooler is sold for other bikes that have higher oil pressure.
>> Harleys usually only have 4 or 5 PSI oil pressure because the roller
>> bottom end doesn't need pressure only volume. My local VW shop has plate
>> type oil coolers much cheaper than the Harley ones. It wouldn't hurt to
>> check out your local VW shops and auto parts stores then there's always
>> aircooled.net .
>>
>> Tony

Dan Youngquist
January 2nd 08, 07:46 PM
On Sat, 29 Dec 2007, XYZ wrote:

> Why go to all the plumbing hassles, use electric heat, cheaper, lighter,
> safer....

Because a (for example) 80 amp alternator puts out only a nominal 960
watts at 12v. Even if you could use all that for heating -- which of
course you can't -- it would be a pretty anemic heater.

-Dan

January 2nd 08, 09:59 PM
As the original poster that was my problem too. I only have a 60A
alternator and could not afford the heat from a typical fan heater. I
need that alternator for important things - like keep flying.

On Jan 2, 1:46 pm, Dan Youngquist > wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007, XYZ wrote:
> > Why go to all the plumbing hassles, use electric heat, cheaper, lighter,
> > safer....
>
> Because a (for example) 80 amp alternator puts out only a nominal 960
> watts at 12v. Even if you could use all that for heating -- which of
> course you can't -- it would be a pretty anemic heater.
>
> -Dan

Gig601XLBuilder
January 2nd 08, 10:13 PM
wrote:
> As the original poster that was my problem too. I only have a 60A
> alternator and could not afford the heat from a typical fan heater. I
> need that alternator for important things - like keep flying.
>
> On Jan 2, 1:46 pm, Dan Youngquist > wrote:
>> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007, XYZ wrote:
>>> Why go to all the plumbing hassles, use electric heat, cheaper, lighter,
>>> safer....
>> Because a (for example) 80 amp alternator puts out only a nominal 960
>> watts at 12v. Even if you could use all that for heating -- which of
>> course you can't -- it would be a pretty anemic heater.
>>
>> -Dan

I wonder if one of these would draw too much power?

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2841142

January 3rd 08, 02:02 AM
Probably not. But then your arms or legs or feet or air you breather
or.... will still be cold. You would need to wear a space suit to be
continuously warm. Those seat warmer gadgets are designed to give you
a little boost while waiting for the car heater to get going - a few
minutes - and not continuous heat unless you need it for your lumbego.

On Jan 2, 4:13 pm, Gig601XLBuilder > wrote:
> I wonder if one of these would draw too much power?
>
> http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2841142

Bill Daniels
January 3rd 08, 03:19 AM
"Ernest Christley" > wrote in message
> wrote:
>> Probably not. But then your arms or legs or feet or air you breather
>> or.... will still be cold. You would need to wear a space suit to be
>> continuously warm. Those seat warmer gadgets are designed to give you
>> a little boost while waiting for the car heater to get going - a few
>> minutes - and not continuous heat unless you need it for your lumbego.
>>
>> On Jan 2, 4:13 pm, Gig601XLBuilder > wrote:
>>> I wonder if one of these would draw too much power?
>>>
>>> http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2841142
>>

> Man-up, woman. (Sorry. My oldest son brought that one home from
> wrestling practice, and has been using it almost continuously on my
> younger. 8*)
>
> In reality, if you heat the torso, the warmer blood will be carried out to
> the extremities. It wouldn't be a complete cure to ward off mid-winter
> Canadian cold at midnight, but it would be enough to handle the coldest
> that North Carolina has to offer when combined with sensible socks, a hat
> and a pair of gloves. (headset makes a nice set of ear muffs)

Probably off base but the motorcycle guys have various bits of electrically
heated clothing they run off of the bikes alternator. You even can buy
fully heated suits. An aircraft alternator is probably bigger than one on a
motorcycle.

January 3rd 08, 03:32 AM
Yeah I can just see myself wearing bikers gloves at 10K feet altitude
and trying to control all the avionics. Used to drive a bike in my
20s - and even at 20F in Toronto. That was quite a few moons ago -
wouldn't survive now.

Took a flight in Aug 2006 to the west coast in Aug. It was 80F on
ground and near freezing at 12K above the mountains. We used to run to
the FBO bathrooms shivering and in our coats - probably looked nuts.

On Jan 2, 9:19 pm, "Bill Daniels" <bildan@comcast-dot-net> wrote:
> Probably off base but the motorcycle guys have various bits of electrically
> heated clothing they run off of the bikes alternator. You even can buy
> fully heated suits. An aircraft alternator is probably bigger than one on a
> motorcycle.

Bill Daniels
January 3rd 08, 03:56 AM
Hey, I got back into bikes after several decades. I bought a "liter bike"
which is way bigger than anything I had before. I took a riders course and
stayed off the streets unless they were clean and dry until I started
feeling comfortable with it. With gas prices high in the summers it has a
big impact on the fuel budget.

The big favorite in heated clothing is a vest followed by boot heaters.

> wrote in message
> Yeah I can just see myself wearing bikers gloves at 10K feet altitude
> and trying to control all the avionics. Used to drive a bike in my
> 20s - and even at 20F in Toronto. That was quite a few moons ago -
> wouldn't survive now.
>
> Took a flight in Aug 2006 to the west coast in Aug. It was 80F on
> ground and near freezing at 12K above the mountains. We used to run to
> the FBO bathrooms shivering and in our coats - probably looked nuts.
>
> On Jan 2, 9:19 pm, "Bill Daniels" <bildan@comcast-dot-net> wrote:
>> Probably off base but the motorcycle guys have various bits of
>> electrically
>> heated clothing they run off of the bikes alternator. You even can buy
>> fully heated suits. An aircraft alternator is probably bigger than one
>> on a
>> motorcycle.

Morgans[_2_]
January 3rd 08, 09:26 AM
"Ernest Christley" > wrote

> In reality, if you heat the torso, the warmer blood will be carried out to
> the extremities. It wouldn't be a complete cure to ward off mid-winter
> Canadian cold at midnight, but it would be enough to handle the coldest
> that North Carolina has to offer when combined with sensible socks, a hat
> and a pair of gloves. (headset makes a nice set of ear muffs)

I'm not so sure about North Carolina temperatures being OK with just a warm
seat, but these will help. It is amazing how much warmer you stay with some
good boots, and these.
<http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2642665&cp=710549.1905685&parentPage=family#1>

<http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1836735&cp=1905680#1>
--