PDA

View Full Version : Bartow Air Base in the 1950's - 04

muff528
January 9th 08, 02:48 AM

John Szalay
January 9th 08, 07:15 PM
"muff528" > wrote in news:9CWgj.2394$sH.1412@trnddc04:

> begin 666 BartowAirBase_1950s_04.jpg
>
> Attachment decoded: BartowAirBase_1950s_04.jpg
> `
> end

Its one thing to see a group of birds like that on the apron, but its
totally awesome to be under the flight path of them going overhead.
all those radials.

They used to fly over Ft Campbell KY on one of their cross-country
training flights back in the 60's
amazing sight & sound...

muff528
January 10th 08, 12:21 AM
"John Szalay" > wrote in message
42...
> "muff528" > wrote in
>

>> begin 666 BartowAirBase_1950s_04.jpg
>>
>> Attachment decoded: BartowAirBase_1950s_04.jpg
>> `
>> end
>>

> Its one thing to see a group of birds like that on the apron, but its
> totally awesome to be under the flight path of them going overhead.
> all those radials.
>
> They used to fly over Ft Campbell KY on one of their cross-country
> training flights back in the 60's
> amazing sight & sound...

Yes!. When I was a kid we lived just across a small lake from Gilbert Field
in Winter Haven. (now WH Municipal Airport) This was a satellite/overflow
air field for Bartow AB where my father worked. The airfields were only a
few miles apart and I remember watching flights of the T-28's T-6's and
T-34's over the few years we lived there. T-37's too. Too bad those days are
all but gone. Usually not a lot of aircraft at one time but a lot of small
formations. I could, even then, ID the planes just by their sound. When we
got to Vance AFB in 1960 there were only jets, T-37's and T-33's and they
were just starting to get T-38's. Earlier I posted a snapshot of some
Thunderbirds pilots standing around at Vance. If you'll look at the skinny,
good-looking kid on the sidewalk to the right.......that's me! :-)

,Tony P.

Google