PDA

View Full Version : Spaceship 2 project details released

Morgans[_2_]
January 25th 08, 02:35 AM
In AvWeb, there is a story about some of the things going on at Scaled
Composites, with some pictures of White Knight 2, and a link back to
Scaled's web site, with quite a few good pictures and stories about what has
been happening.

4 engines on the wing of White Knight. I did not see any specs on what the
engines are, though. Are they afterburning, or not? My guess is it looks
like they are fan engines, and they made up for not AB with lots of fan
thrust.

Interesting, with two crew pods. Are both pilots in one pod, or are they
separated?

Marc Z: Is this what you hinted for, with a "soon" comment a while back?
It is good to see some news, finally.
--
Jim in NC

rpl
January 25th 08, 05:09 PM
Morgans wrote:
> In AvWeb, there is a story about some of the things going on at Scaled
> Composites, with some pictures of White Knight 2, and a link back to
> Scaled's web site, with quite a few good pictures and stories about what has
> been happening.
>
> 4 engines on the wing of White Knight. I did not see any specs on what the
> engines are, though. Are they afterburning, or not? My guess is it looks
> like they are fan engines, and they made up for not AB with lots of fan
> thrust.
>
> Interesting, with two crew pods. Are both pilots in one pod, or are they
> separated?
>
> Marc Z: Is this what you hinted for, with a "soon" comment a while back?
> It is good to see some news, finally.

engines are williams turbojets, iirc; i imagine both fuselages contain
pilot controls... their large size is so that passengers' family
members/friends can watch them take off into the wild blue(-black) yonder.

rpl

Blueskies
January 25th 08, 11:31 PM
"Morgans" > wrote in message ...
> In AvWeb, there is a story about some of the things going on at Scaled Composites, with some pictures of White Knight
> 2, and a link back to Scaled's web site, with quite a few good pictures and stories about what has been happening.
>
> 4 engines on the wing of White Knight. I did not see any specs on what the engines are, though. Are they
> afterburning, or not? My guess is it looks like they are fan engines, and they made up for not AB with lots of fan
> thrust.
>
> Interesting, with two crew pods. Are both pilots in one pod, or are they separated?
>
> Marc Z: Is this what you hinted for, with a "soon" comment a while back? It is good to see some news, finally.
> --
> Jim in NC

So a simple commercial pilot certificate is required (pilot will need a type rating in the White Knight multi jet), and
no complicated 135 or 121 ops manuals, because the flights will be less than 25 miles horizontally? These are simple
sight seeing flights, but 63 miles 'up'.

rpl
January 26th 08, 03:25 PM
Marc J. Zeitlin wrote:
> rpl wrote:
>> Morgans wrote:
>
>>> 4 engines on the wing of White Knight. I did not see any specs
>>> on what the engines are, though. Are they afterburning, or not?
>
>> engines are williams turbojets, iirc;
>
> There's nothing quite like speculation,

yes, thus the words "i imagine" and "if i remember correctly" (i didn't,
but they both start with a "W").

thankyou for the links, I had lost the ones I had after the announcement.

rpl

Morgans[_2_]
January 28th 08, 12:38 AM
"Marc J. Zeitlin" > wrote

> There's nothing quite like speculation, when the facts are available
> :-). From:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2jckuw
>
> You can see that the engines are Pratt and Whitney 308 Turbofans.
> These are not afterburning engines.
>
> http://www.eaa.org/news/2008/2008-01-24_ss2.asp
>
> Right fuselage has crew and pax - left fuselage is configurable (they
> have it backwards on this web page, but the basics are correct).

Thanks, Marc - that's some good reading for sure! If you see any more good
articles, I'm sure everyone would like to see some more links.
--
Jim in NC

Google