PDA

View Full Version : Bigelow Plan to Build Commercial Orbital Outpost in 2010

Larry Dighera
February 13th 08, 03:15 PM
It would appear that we will see the commercialization of space in our
lifetimes:

http://cs.schwab.com/clicker/cli?requestID=storyreader&storyid=10713607&emailMsgID=mcs02544923081bacmr4tqkoaiaaarfsiwoz
06:08 PM 02/05/08

Private Rocket May Use Military Launch

An aerospace company is negotiating to use a military rocket to
ferry hardware, crew and cargo to a planned commercial space
station, privately-held Bigelow Aerospace said Tuesday.

Bigelow plans to build and operate an expandable commercial
orbital outpost in late 2011 but needs the use of a reusable
launch vehicle.

The deal, if approved, would include six initial launches of an
Atlas V rocket, said Mike Gold, Bigelow's corporate counsel.

The rocket is made by United Launch Alliance, a joint venture of
Lockheed Martin Corp. and Boeing Co.

Lockheed offers commercial Atlas launch services through its
subsidiary, Lockheed Martin Commercial Launch Services.

The talks began in December and a deal is expected soon, Lockheed
spokesman Charles Manor said.

Since 2006, Bigelow Aerospace, founded by Las Vegas hotel magnate
Robert Bigelow, has successfully launched two prototypes aboard
Russian rockets to test the space station technology.

The company plans to build an expandable space complex made of
several modules strung together like sausage links.

A four-week stay would cost about $15 million, the company said.

___

On the Net:

Bigelow Aerospace: http://www.bigelowaerospace.com
Bigelow Aerospace is dedicated to developing next-generation
crewed space complexes to revolutionize space commerce and open up
the final frontier to all of humanity. At Bigelow Aerospace, we're
building the future today!

Lockheed Martin: http://www.lockheedmartin.com

Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]
February 13th 08, 04:35 PM
Larry Dighera wrote:

> It would appear that we will see the commercialization of space in our
> lifetimes:
>

> http://cs.schwab.com/clicker/cli?requestID=storyreader&storyid=10713607&emailMsgID=mcs02544923081bacmr4tqkoaiaaarfsiwoz
> 06:08 PM 02/05/08

I guess you mean "manned commercialization." Because space has been
commercialization for years.

Google