PDA

View Full Version : Planes - File 61 of 61 - XRF-84D.jpg (1/1)

Troy24
February 17th 08, 01:25 AM

Ron Monroe
February 23rd 08, 06:32 AM
This is actually, a YF-84F modified with a hook to test the feasibility of
the FICON program. It was successful enough to proceed with modifying
production RF-84Fs. This aircraft was originally called a YF-96A, and then
redesignated It was probably easier to sell it as a refined F-84, then to
say it was a whole new design. This aircraft features the canopy from the
straight winged Thunderjet, but it's definitely a Thunderstreak.
Ron

"Troy24" > wrote in message
3...

J.F.
February 23rd 08, 01:00 PM
FICON Explained

A production RB-36F-1 Peacemaker was modified with a special trapeze
mechanism in its bomb bay and designated GRB-36F, and a production F-84E
Thunderjet was fitted with a retractable hook in the nose in front of the
cockpit. The hook would link the fighter to the trapeze which would hold the
aircraft in the bomb bay during flight, lower it for deployment, and raise
it back in after the mission. Due to the size of the fighter, only the
cockpit, the fuselage spine, and the tailfin actually fit inside the GRB-36,
which considerably increased the drag and reduced the big bomber's range by
5-10%. On a positive note, the fighter pilot was able to leave his airplane
while attached to the carrier, making the 10-hour flights to and from the
target much more bearable.

The initial FICON trials were performed in 1952. First hookup took place on
January 9, with first retrieval into the bomb bay on 23 April, and first
flight of the complete system from takeoff to landing on 14 May. In 1953,
the GRB-36/F-84E was sent to Eglin Air Force Base where 170 airborne
launches and retrievals were subsequently performed. In May 1953, the F-84E
was replaced by the faster F-84F Thunderstreak, with the original YRF-84F
(briefly called YF-96A) prototype modified for the role and briefly
designated GRF-84F. When RF-84F Thunderflash tactical reconnaissance fighter
began entering service, the FICON role was changed from attack to
reconnaissance. As with the F-84, the RF-84 was supposed to utilize its
smaller size and superior agility to overfly heavily defended targets and
gather intelligence while the bomber loitered outside the range of enemy
defences. The scheme was found to be "tactically sound" and USAF ordered 10
production RB-36D to be converted to GRB-36D carriers with a complement of
25 RF-84K tactical reconnaissance fighters. The RF-84K differed from RF-84F
in having retractable hookup equipment and anhedral tailplanes to better fit
inside the GRB-36. Since it retained an armament of 4x 0.50 in. machine
guns, it could also act as an escort fighter. The RF-84K could be deployed
at altitudes of up to 25,000 ft (7,550 m) and added 1,180 mi (1,900 km) to
GRB-36D's already impressive 2,800 mi (4,500 km) combat range.

"Ron Monroe" > wrote in message
> This is actually, a YF-84F modified with a hook to test the feasibility of
> the FICON program. It was successful enough to proceed with modifying
> production RF-84Fs. This aircraft was originally called a YF-96A, and then
> redesignated It was probably easier to sell it as a refined F-84, then to
> say it was a whole new design. This aircraft features the canopy from the
> straight winged Thunderjet, but it's definitely a Thunderstreak.
> Ron
>
> "Troy24" > wrote in message
> 3...

J.F.
February 23rd 08, 11:47 PM
Not a problem...
"richec" > wrote in message
> Hi J.F.:
>
> Thanks for the history of that project. I knew of and have read up on its
> existence, but your explanation was much more concise and therefore
> understandable. Good job.
>
> Richard

Google