PDA

View Full Version : Q: PBY

William Hung[_2_]
February 19th 08, 02:30 AM
http://www.sa-transport.co.za/aircraft/military/catalina_pby-5a_ra98.JPG

OK, I've seen pictures of PBYs with;

1. All three gears down and the outer potoons down,
2. All gears down, potoons up,
3. Gears up, potoons down,
4. and now the above picture with only the main gears down, but nose
wheel still tucked in and pontoons still up or maybe no pontoons.

My question are; are the gears controlled individually, are the
pontoons controlled separately, are the font and main gears controlled
separately also? If so, why?

Wil

Morgans[_2_]
February 19th 08, 05:11 PM
"William Hung" > wrote in message
> http://www.sa-transport.co.za/aircraft/military/catalina_pby-5a_ra98.JPG
>
> OK, I've seen pictures of PBYs with;
>
> 1. All three gears down and the outer potoons down,
> 2. All gears down, potoons up,
> 3. Gears up, potoons down,
> 4. and now the above picture with only the main gears down, but nose
> wheel still tucked in and pontoons still up or maybe no pontoons.
>
> My question are; are the gears controlled individually, are the
> pontoons controlled separately, are the font and main gears controlled
> separately also? If so, why?

I would say the above mentioned aircraft is about to have a very noisy
runway landing, if you get my drift. I vote for gear failure.
--
Jim in NC

Bob Martin
February 20th 08, 02:03 AM
Morgans wrote:
> "William Hung" > wrote in message
>> http://www.sa-transport.co.za/aircraft/military/catalina_pby-5a_ra98.JPG
>>
>> OK, I've seen pictures of PBYs with;
>>
>> 1. All three gears down and the outer potoons down,
>> 2. All gears down, potoons up,
>> 3. Gears up, potoons down,
>> 4. and now the above picture with only the main gears down, but nose
>> wheel still tucked in and pontoons still up or maybe no pontoons.
>>
>> My question are; are the gears controlled individually, are the
>> pontoons controlled separately, are the font and main gears controlled
>> separately also? If so, why?
>
> I would say the above mentioned aircraft is about to have a very noisy
> runway landing, if you get my drift. I vote for gear failure.

Maybe it's a case of one gear (nose in this case) retracting before the others? I've
noticed many airplanes where each gear retracts at different rates, or one part of the
gear retracts before the others. I think it just has to do with how the hydraulics are
run and all that. Not sure about this case though.

On multiple occasions, I've seen F-15 nosewheels fail to retract; most of the time they
cleared it by cycling the gear, but twice I noticed it not retract even after cycling. I
guess the pilots really had to pull the power off quick so they doesn't overspeed.

February 20th 08, 03:25 AM
On Feb 19, 7:03�pm, Bob Martin > wrote:
> Morgans wrote:
> > "William Hung" > wrote in message
> >>http://www.sa-transport.co.za/aircraft/military/catalina_pby-5a_ra98.JPG
>
> >> OK, I've seen pictures of PBYs with;
>
> >> 1. All three gears down and the outer potoons down,
> >> 2. All gears down, potoons up,
> >> 3. Gears up, potoons down,
> >> 4. and now the above picture with only the main gears down, but nose
> >> wheel still tucked in and pontoons still up or maybe no pontoons.
>
> >> My question are; are the gears controlled individually, are the
> >> pontoons controlled separately, are the font and main gears controlled
> >> separately also? �If so, why?
>
> > �I would say the above mentioned aircraft is about to have a very noisy
> > runway landing, if you get my drift. �I vote for gear failure.
>
> Maybe it's a case of one gear (nose in this case) retracting before the others? �I've
> noticed many airplanes where each gear retracts at different rates, or one part of the
> gear retracts before the others. �I think it just has to do with how the hydraulics are
> run and all that. �Not sure about this case though.
>
> On multiple occasions, I've seen F-15 nosewheels fail to retract; most of the time they
> cleared it by cycling the gear, but twice I noticed it not retract even after cycling. �I
> guess the pilots really had to pull the power off quick so they doesn't overspeed.- Hide quoted text -

Some civilian owned PBYs have added valves to allow retraction of one
gear at a time for servicing. The tip pontoons are on a seperate
system, a single drive motor in the pylon driving shafts in the
leading edge of the wing.

William Hung[_2_]
February 20th 08, 01:31 PM
On Feb 19, 10:25Â*pm, " > wrote:
> On Feb 19, 7:03�pm, Bob Martin > wrote:
>

> > Morgans wrote:

> > > �I would say the above mentioned aircraft is about to have a very noisy
> > > runway landing, if you get my drift. �I vote for gear failure.
>
> > Maybe it's a case of one gear (nose in this case) retracting before the others? �I've
> > noticed many airplanes where each gear retracts at different rates, or one part of the
> > gear retracts before the others. �I think it just has to do with how the hydraulics are
> > run and all that. �Not sure about this case though.
>
> > On multiple occasions, I've seen F-15 nosewheels fail to retract; most of the time they
> > cleared it by cycling the gear, but twice I noticed it not retract even after cycling. �I
> > guess the pilots really had to pull the power off quick so they doesn't overspeed.- Hide quoted text -

> Some civilian owned PBYs have added valves to allow retraction of one
> gear at a time for servicing. The tip pontoons are on a seperate
> system, a single drive motor in the pylon driving shafts in the
> leading edge of the wing.- Hide quoted text -

Cool, all very plausible explanations.

Thanks guys,
Wil

JOM
February 22nd 08, 08:49 PM
;603848']http://www.sa-transport.co.za/aircraft/military/catalina_pby-5a_ra98.JPG

OK, I've seen pictures of PBYs with;

1. All three gears down and the outer potoons down,
2. All gears down, potoons up,
3. Gears up, potoons down,
4. and now the above picture with only the main gears down, but nose
wheel still tucked in and pontoons still up or maybe no pontoons.

My question are; are the gears controlled individually, are the
pontoons controlled separately, are the font and main gears controlled
separately also? If so, why?

Wil

I guess that picture is just after take-off and the nose gear retracted first. (even though the plane appears slight nose down).

The Registration number shown under the picture is wrong, as only US registrations start with N and they can have up to 5 places in the registration. You can only have two letters in the registration, and if there are letters they have to be in the last positions. (A number can never follow a letter - except for the starting "N" of course).

Cubdriver
February 25th 08, 10:24 PM
Here is a photo on Wiki that shows how the outer wing floats
(pontoons) can swing up, so that the pontoon becomes the wingtip.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b9/KN-K_RNZAF_Catalina.JPG/800px-KN-K_RNZAF_Catalina.JPG

That has got to be the case with your photo. A larger question is:
where's the tail wheel? Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:30:54 -0800 (PST), William Hung
> wrote:

>http://www.sa-transport.co.za/aircraft/military/catalina_pby-5a_ra98.JPG
>
>OK, I've seen pictures of PBYs with;
>
>1. All three gears down and the outer potoons down,
>2. All gears down, potoons up,
>3. Gears up, potoons down,
>4. and now the above picture with only the main gears down, but nose
>wheel still tucked in and pontoons still up or maybe no pontoons.
>
>My question are; are the gears controlled individually, are the
>pontoons controlled separately, are the font and main gears controlled
>separately also? If so, why?
>
>Wil

Blue skies! -- Dan Ford

Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
new from HarperCollins www.FlyingTigersBook.com

Hawkeye[_2_]
February 25th 08, 10:50 PM
On Feb 25, 4:24 pm, Cubdriver <usenet AT danford DOT net> wrote:
> Here is a photo on Wiki that shows how the outer wing floats
> (pontoons) can swing up, so that the pontoon becomes the wingtip.
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b9/KN-K_RNZAF_Catali...
>
> That has got to be the case with your photo. A larger question is:
> where's the tail wheel? Blue skies! -- Dan Ford
>
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:30:54 -0800 (PST), William Hung
>

> > wrote:
> >http://www.sa-transport.co.za/aircraft/military/catalina_pby-5a_ra98.JPG
>
> >OK, I've seen pictures of PBYs with;
>
> >1. All three gears down and the outer potoons down,
> >2. All gears down, potoons up,
> >3. Gears up, potoons down,
> >4. and now the above picture with only the main gears down, but nose
> >wheel still tucked in and pontoons still up or maybe no pontoons.
>
> >My question are; are the gears controlled individually, are the
> >pontoons controlled separately, are the font and main gears controlled
> >separately also? If so, why?
>
> >Wil
>
> Blue skies! -- Dan Ford
>
> Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
> new from HarperCollinswww.FlyingTigersBook.com

It is a tricycle geared aircraft Dan...the question is...where is the
nose gear!

George Z. Bush
February 25th 08, 11:12 PM
Hawkeye wrote:
> On Feb 25, 4:24 pm, Cubdriver <usenet AT danford DOT net> wrote:
>> Here is a photo on Wiki that shows how the outer wing floats
>> (pontoons) can swing up, so that the pontoon becomes the wingtip.
>>
>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b9/KN-K_RNZAF_Catali...
>>
>> That has got to be the case with your photo. A larger question is:
>> where's the tail wheel? Blue skies! -- Dan Ford
>>
>> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:30:54 -0800 (PST), William Hung
>>

>> > wrote:
>>> http://www.sa-transport.co.za/aircraft/military/catalina_pby-5a_ra98.JPG
>>
>>> OK, I've seen pictures of PBYs with;
>>
>>> 1. All three gears down and the outer potoons down,
>>> 2. All gears down, potoons up,
>>> 3. Gears up, potoons down,
>>> 4. and now the above picture with only the main gears down, but nose
>>> wheel still tucked in and pontoons still up or maybe no pontoons.
>>
>>> My question are; are the gears controlled individually, are the
>>> pontoons controlled separately, are the font and main gears controlled
>>> separately also? If so, why?
>>
>>> Wil
>>
>> Blue skies! -- Dan Ford
>>
>> Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
>> new from HarperCollinswww.FlyingTigersBook.com
>
> It is a tricycle geared aircraft Dan...the question is...where is the
> nose gear!

The nose gear is in what's probably some sort of a sealed compartment within
the forward part of the pontoon/fuselage. Just Google "PBY Photos" and
you'll see pictures of it on the ground.

George Z.

Dave Kearton
February 25th 08, 11:18 PM
Hawkeye wrote:

>> It is a tricycle geared aircraft Dan...the question is...where is the
>> nose gear!

"Just called shipping, it'll be here on Monday"

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Peter Twydell
February 26th 08, 12:18 AM
In message
>,
Hawkeye > writes
>On Feb 25, 4:24 pm, Cubdriver <usenet AT danford DOT net> wrote:
>> Here is a photo on Wiki that shows how the outer wing floats
>> (pontoons) can swing up, so that the pontoon becomes the wingtip.
>>
>> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b9/KN-K_RNZAF_Catali...
>>
>> That has got to be the case with your photo. A larger question is:
>> where's the tail wheel? Blue skies! -- Dan Ford
>>
>> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:30:54 -0800 (PST), William Hung
>>

>> > wrote:
>> >http://www.sa-transport.co.za/aircraft/military/catalina_pby-5a_ra98.JPG
>>
>> >OK, I've seen pictures of PBYs with;
>>
>> >1. All three gears down and the outer potoons down,
>> >2. All gears down, potoons up,
>> >3. Gears up, potoons down,
>> >4. and now the above picture with only the main gears down, but nose
>> >wheel still tucked in and pontoons still up or maybe no pontoons.
>>
>> >My question are; are the gears controlled individually, are the
>> >pontoons controlled separately, are the font and main gears controlled
>> >separately also? If so, why?
>>
>> >Wil
>>
>> Blue skies! -- Dan Ford
>>
>> Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
>> new from HarperCollinswww.FlyingTigersBook.com
>
>It is a tricycle geared aircraft Dan...the question is...where is the
>nose gear!

No, it isn't. It's a PBY-5, not a PBY-5A. The wheels alongside the
fuselage are beaching gear, not landing gear. No mainwheels, no nose
gear.

Comparisons here:
http://www.catalina.org.nz/what%20is%20a%20PBY.htm
The photo of the PBY-2 shows the beaching gear.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]
February 26th 08, 03:01 AM
Peter Twydell wrote:
>> It is a tricycle geared aircraft Dan...the question is...where is the
>> nose gear!
>
> No, it isn't. It's a PBY-5, not a PBY-5A. The wheels alongside the
> fuselage are beaching gear, not landing gear. No mainwheels, no nose
> gear.
>
> Comparisons here:
> http://www.catalina.org.nz/what%20is%20a%20PBY.htm
> The photo of the PBY-2 shows the beaching gear.

Well, I just learned something I didn't know: that all the models including the
PBY-5 were flying boats and that the first amphibian models started with the
PBY-5A model. This newsgroup can be an amazing resource, when we aren't
fighting over politics.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Dale[_3_]
February 26th 08, 03:56 AM
In article >,
Peter Twydell > wrote:

> In message
> >,
> Hawkeye > writes
> >On Feb 25, 4:24 pm, Cubdriver <usenet AT danford DOT net> wrote:
> >> Here is a photo on Wiki that shows how the outer wing floats
> >> (pontoons) can swing up, so that the pontoon becomes the wingtip.
> >>
> >> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b9/KN-K_RNZAF_Catali...
> >>
> >> That has got to be the case with your photo. A larger question is:
> >> where's the tail wheel? Blue skies! -- Dan Ford
> >>
> >> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:30:54 -0800 (PST), William Hung

> >> Blue skies! -- Dan Ford
> >>
> >> Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
> >> new from HarperCollinswww.FlyingTigersBook.com
> >
> >It is a tricycle geared aircraft Dan...the question is...where is the
> >nose gear!
>
> No, it isn't. It's a PBY-5, not a PBY-5A. The wheels alongside the
> fuselage are beaching gear, not landing gear. No mainwheels, no nose
> gear.
>
> Comparisons here:
> http://www.catalina.org.nz/what%20is%20a%20PBY.htm
> The photo of the PBY-2 shows the beaching gear.

Looks like a 5a to me, you can see the outline of the still closed
nosewheel door.

John Keeney
February 26th 08, 04:59 AM
On Feb 25, 10:56*pm, Dale > wrote:
> In article >,
> *Peter Twydell > wrote:
>

> > In message
> > >,
> > Hawkeye > writes

> > >It is a tricycle geared aircraft Dan...the question is...where is the
> > >nose gear!
>
> > No, it isn't. It's a PBY-5, not a PBY-5A. The wheels alongside the
> > fuselage are beaching gear, not landing gear. No mainwheels, no nose
> > gear.
>
> > Comparisons here:
> >http://www.catalina.org.nz/what%20is%20a%20PBY.htm
> > The photo of the PBY-2 shows the beaching gear.
>
> Looks like a 5a to me, you can see the outline of the still closed
> nosewheel door.- Hide quoted text -

Peter's right, Dale. There's no place to retract those "main wheels"
and it is sitting tail heavy on a stand.
Not to mention the older style tail.

William Hung[_2_]
February 26th 08, 12:11 PM
On Feb 25, 5:24*pm, Cubdriver <usenet AT danford DOT net> wrote:
> Here is a photo on Wiki that shows how the outer wing floats
> (pontoons) can swing up, so that *the pontoon becomes the wingtip.
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b9/KN-K_RNZAF_Catali...
>
> That has got to be the case with your photo. A larger question is:
> where's the tail wheel? *Blue skies! -- Dan Ford
>
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:30:54 -0800 (PST), William Hung
>

> > wrote:
> >http://www.sa-transport.co.za/aircraft/military/catalina_pby-5a_ra98.JPG
>
> >OK, I've seen pictures of PBYs with;
>
> >1. All three gears down and the outer potoons down,
> >2. All gears down, potoons up,
> >3. Gears up, potoons down,
> >4. and now the above picture with only the main gears down, but nose
> >wheel still tucked in and pontoons still up or maybe no pontoons.
>
> >My question are; are the gears controlled individually, are the
> >pontoons controlled separately, are the font and main gears controlled
> >separately also? *If so, why?
>
> >Wil
>
> Blue skies! -- Dan Ford
>
> Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
> new from HarperCollinswww.FlyingTigersBook.com- Hide quoted text -

Well, since you have posted this picture and Peter Twydell has pointed
out that what we are looking at is a beaching gear and nt a landing
gear(tail heavy and no accomadation for retraction), I've learned a
lot about the PBY.

To answer your question, the two little wheels about five feet south
of the two gentleman's legs would be the "tail wheels(for beaching)"

Now, only if I can hit the big one. The PBY would definitely be my
flying ATV.

Wil

William Hung[_2_]
February 26th 08, 12:13 PM
On Feb 25, 11:59*pm, John Keeney > wrote:
> On Feb 25, 10:56*pm, Dale > wrote:
>

> > In article >,
> > *Peter Twydell > wrote:
>
> > > In message
> > > Hawkeye > writes

> > > No, it isn't. It's a PBY-5, not a PBY-5A. The wheels alongside the
> > > fuselage are beaching gear, not landing gear. No mainwheels, no nose
> > > gear.
>
> > > Comparisons here:
> > >http://www.catalina.org.nz/what%20is%20a%20PBY.htm
> > > The photo of the PBY-2 shows the beaching gear.
>
> > Looks like a 5a to me, you can see the outline of the still closed
> > nosewheel door.- Hide quoted text -

> Peter's right, Dale. There's no place to retract those "main wheels"
> and it is sitting tail heavy on a stand.
> Not to mention the older style tail.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, Peter's right and like Mortimer said, this place is great for
learning about aviation.

Wil

Rolf Blom
February 26th 08, 01:14 PM
On 2008-02-26 05:59, John Keeney wrote:
> On Feb 25, 10:56 pm, Dale > wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Peter Twydell > wrote:
>>

>> > In message
>> > Hawkeye > writes

>> > No, it isn't. It's a PBY-5, not a PBY-5A. The wheels alongside the
>> > fuselage are beaching gear, not landing gear. No mainwheels, no nose
>> > gear.
>>
>> > Comparisons here:
>> >http://www.catalina.org.nz/what%20is%20a%20PBY.htm
>> > The photo of the PBY-2 shows the beaching gear.
>>
>> Looks like a 5a to me, you can see the outline of the still closed
>> nosewheel door.- Hide quoted text -

> Peter's right, Dale. There's no place to retract those "main wheels"
> and it is sitting tail heavy on a stand.
> Not to mention the older style tail.

Interesting thread, I always liked the PBY.

I see that the catalina.org.nz states: "all surviving operational
aircraft are amphibians".

I think I found a likely reference to the OP's plane in a PBY survivors
list at the Catalina society;
http://www.catalina.org.uk/catalina-latest-news/p2_articleid/23

C/n 1656 from that list, matches the one in the photo, but with slightly
different registration: N9521C
(the Photo text has N952ZIC - that may simply be a misspelling)

In any case with that C/n, the plane is listed as a PBY5a, just as the
photo says, so it's an amphibian, owned by 'Training Services Inc TA',
based at Virginia Beach.

Anyone living nearby & so inclined could perhaps go and ask about the
nose gear?

/Rolf

Peter Twydell
February 26th 08, 06:17 PM
In message
>,
William Hung > writes
>On Feb 25, 11:59*pm, John Keeney > wrote:
>> On Feb 25, 10:56*pm, Dale > wrote:

>> > Looks like a 5a to me, you can see the outline of the still closed
>> > nosewheel door.- Hide quoted text -

>> Peter's right, Dale. There's no place to retract those "main wheels"
>> and it is sitting tail heavy on a stand.
>> Not to mention the older style tail.- Hide quoted text -

>Yeah, Peter's right and like Mortimer said, this place is great for
>learning about aviation.
>
>Wil

It's nice to know one's efforts are appreciated.

I was able to put my pedant/nitpicker hat on here as a result of
converting the Airfix PBY-5A to a USN PBY-5 many years ago. Plugged the
wheel wells with balsa, smoothed over with a mixture of talc and clear
dope. Blue Gray/Light Gray camo with tail stripes and national insignia,
all hand painted.

A share in the Catalina at Duxford was available for about GBP 17k last
year. Bit beyond my budget at the moment!
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

John Keeney
February 27th 08, 05:47 AM
On Feb 26, 8:14*am, Rolf Blom > wrote:
> On 2008-02-26 05:59, John Keeney wrote:
>

> > On Feb 25, 10:56 pm, Dale > wrote:

> >> Looks like a 5a to me, you can see the outline of the still closed
> >> nosewheel door.- Hide quoted text -

> > Peter's right, Dale. There's no place to retract those "main wheels"
> > and it is sitting tail heavy on a stand.
> > Not to mention the older style tail.
>
> Interesting thread, I always liked the PBY.
>
> I see that the catalina.org.nz states: "all surviving operational
> aircraft are amphibians".
>
> I think I found a likely reference to the OP's plane in a PBY survivors
> list at the Catalina society;http://www.catalina.org.uk/catalina-latest-news/p2_articleid/23
>
> C/n 1656 from that list, matches the one in the photo, but with slightly
> different registration: N9521C
> (the Photo text has N952ZIC - that may simply be a misspelling)
>
> In any case with that C/n, the plane is listed as a PBY5a, just as the
> photo says, so it's an amphibian, owned by 'Training Services Inc TA',
> based at Virginia Beach.
>
> Anyone living nearby & so inclined could perhaps go and ask about the
> nose gear?
>
> /Rolf- Hide quoted text -

Maybe we're looking at different pictures. There's been more than one
posted here.
Which URL are you referring to?

Rolf Blom
February 27th 08, 12:12 PM
On 2008-02-27 06:47, John Keeney wrote:
> On Feb 26, 8:14 am, Rolf Blom > wrote:

>> > Peter's right, Dale. There's no place to retract those "main wheels"
>> > and it is sitting tail heavy on a stand.
>> > Not to mention the older style tail.
>>
>> Interesting thread, I always liked the PBY.
>>
>> I see that the catalina.org.nz states: "all surviving operational
>> aircraft are amphibians".
>>
>> I think I found a likely reference to the OP's plane in a PBY survivors
>> list at the Catalina society;http://www.catalina.org.uk/catalina-latest-news/p2_articleid/23
>>
>> C/n 1656 from that list, matches the one in the photo, but with slightly
>> different registration: N9521C
>> (the Photo text has N952ZIC - that may simply be a misspelling)
>>
>> In any case with that C/n, the plane is listed as a PBY5a, just as the
>> photo says, so it's an amphibian, owned by 'Training Services Inc TA',
>> based at Virginia Beach.
>>
>> Anyone living nearby & so inclined could perhaps go and ask about the
>> nose gear?
>>
>> /Rolf- Hide quoted text -

> Maybe we're looking at different pictures. There's been more than one
> posted here.
> Which URL are you referring to?

Perhaps, I was referring to this picture, with a retracted nosewheel:
http://www.sa-transport.co.za/aircraft/military/catalina_pby-5a_ra98.JPG

/Rolf

Jim Wilkins
February 27th 08, 01:03 PM
The owner of a restored ex-houseboat PBY told me that its landing gear
was added after the war. Maybe the various installations reflect
whatever surplus equipment was available.

Dale[_3_]
February 27th 08, 02:22 PM
In article >,
Rolf Blom > wrote:

> http://www.sa-transport.co.za/aircraft/military/catalina_pby-5a_ra98.JPG

This is a PBY-5A. You can see the outline of the nosewheel door. That
large circle on the side of the fuselage is where the mainwheel retracts
into. The aircraft that used beaching gear did not have the opening for
the mainwheel. Go here for a pic of a PBY on beaching gear:
http://www.pbycat.org/mainp.htm

Hawkeye[_2_]
February 27th 08, 05:58 PM
I doubt that it would be possible for a Catalina to be able to take
off with the beaching wheels, They were not made for that kind of
speed on land. In fact, in the water you'd never get up enough speed
either, it would be like dragging two anchors.

Even the information on the picture states it is a -5A and can be
confirmed by running the registration number through the FAA database.
The shadow on the picture obscures the outline of the wheel well on
the side of the aircraft, the wheel was exposed when retracted, only
the strut was covered by doors, much the same as other aircraft such
as the Goose and Albatross.

The reason for the creation of an amphibian seaplane was that being
strictly a seaplane meant limiting its areas of operations. Many
locations in the world do not have or would it be feasible to create
beaching facilities. Having to haul the beaching gear and crews was
also unpractical. The amphibian could use inland runways to stop for/
deliver fuel/supplies. Remember the more time spent in salt water the
greater risk for corrosion which adds to operational maintenance. Its
nice to be able to land on water when needed but it has its drawbacks
too.

When Kermit Weeks brought his Sunderland from the UK to the US, he had
to provide for the logistics of landing on bodies of water large
enough which also had good water surface conditions plus access to
refueling facilities capable of supporting such a large aircraft at
each stop of the journey. Had he had an emergency, he might not been
able to find a spot with suitable water conditions...ever been in a
small boat in rough water. Its harder in an airplane!

Fortunately the Sunderland made the trek stopping and over wintering
in Oshkosh until the pond/lake at his new Florida facility was ready
for its arrival. They installed the beaching gear and parked it at a
boat storage area in a local marina.

John Keeney
February 28th 08, 07:24 AM
On Feb 27, 7:12*am, Rolf Blom > wrote:
> On 2008-02-27 06:47, John Keeney wrote:

> >> Interesting thread, I always liked the PBY.
>
> >> I see that the catalina.org.nz states: "all surviving operational
> >> aircraft are amphibians".
>
> >> I think I found a likely reference to the OP's plane in a PBY survivors
> >> list at the Catalina society;http://www.catalina.org.uk/catalina-latest-news/p2_articleid/23
>
> >> C/n 1656 from that list, matches the one in the photo, but with slightly
> >> different registration: N9521C
> >> (the Photo text has N952ZIC - that may simply be a misspelling)
>
> >> In any case with that C/n, the plane is listed as a PBY5a, just as the
> >> photo says, so it's an amphibian, owned by 'Training Services Inc TA',
> >> based at Virginia Beach.
>
> >> Anyone living nearby & so inclined could perhaps go and ask about the
> >> nose gear?
>
> >> /Rolf- Hide quoted text -

> > Maybe we're looking at different pictures. There's been more than one
> > posted here.
> > Which URL are you referring to?
>
> Perhaps, I was referring to this picture, with a retracted nosewheel:http://www.sa-transport.co.za/aircraft/military/catalina_pby-5a_ra98.JPG
>
> /Rolf- Hide quoted text -

OK, different picture.

William Hung[_2_]
February 28th 08, 07:40 AM
On Feb 26, 1:17*pm, Peter Twydell > wrote:
> In message
> >,
> William Hung > writes

> >> Peter's right, Dale. There's no place to retract those "main wheels"
> >> and it is sitting tail heavy on a stand.
> >> Not to mention the older style tail.- Hide quoted text -

> >Yeah, Peter's right and like Mortimer said, this place is great for
> >learning about aviation.
>
> >Wil
>
> It's nice to know one's efforts are appreciated.

I try to give credit where credit is due. :-)

> I was able to put my pedant/nitpicker hat on here as a result of
> converting the Airfix PBY-5A to a USN PBY-5 many years ago. Plugged the
> wheel wells with balsa, smoothed over with a mixture of talc and clear
> dope. Blue Gray/Light Gray camo with tail stripes and national insignia,
> all hand painted.

What was the reasoning for the reversal?

> A share in the Catalina at Duxford was available for about GBP 17k last
> year. Bit beyond my budget at the moment!
> --
> Peter
>
> Ying tong iddle-i po!- Hide quoted text -

Think I came across that also, in barnstormer,com or maybe it was
Ebay. The 17k was doable, the monthly upkeep wasn't. The fact that
they were across the big pond didn't help.

Wil

William Hung[_2_]
February 28th 08, 07:50 AM
On Feb 27, 12:58*pm, Hawkeye > wrote:
> I doubt that it would be possible for a Catalina to be able to take
> off with the beaching wheels, They were not made for that kind of
> speed on land. In fact, in the water you'd never get up enough speed
> either, it would be like dragging two anchors.
>
> Even the information on the picture states it is a -5A and can be
> confirmed by running the registration number through the FAA database.
> The shadow on the picture obscures the outline of the wheel well on
> the side of the aircraft, the wheel was exposed when retracted, only
> the strut was covered by doors, much the same as other aircraft such
> as the Goose and Albatross.
>
> The reason for the creation of an amphibian seaplane was that being
> strictly a seaplane meant limiting its areas of operations. Many
> locations in the world do not have or would it be feasible to create
> beaching facilities. Having to haul the beaching gear and crews was
> also unpractical. The amphibian could use inland runways to stop for/
> deliver fuel/supplies. Remember the more time spent in salt water the
> greater risk for corrosion which adds to operational maintenance. Its
> nice to be able to land on water when needed but it has its drawbacks
> too.
>
> When Kermit Weeks brought his Sunderland from the UK to the US, he had
> to provide for the logistics of landing on bodies of water large
> enough which also had good water surface conditions plus access to
> refueling facilities capable of supporting such a large aircraft at
> each stop of the journey. Had he had an emergency, he might not been
> able to find a spot with suitable water conditions...ever been in a
> small boat in rough water. Its harder in an airplane!
>
> Fortunately the Sunderland made the trek stopping and over wintering
> in Oshkosh until the pond/lake at his new Florida facility was ready
> for its arrival. They installed the beaching gear and parked it at a
> boat storage area in a local marina.

Cool... Yeah amphibian would be the way to go.

Wil

Peter Twydell
February 28th 08, 08:28 AM
In message
>,
William Hung > writes
>On Feb 26, 1:17*pm, Peter Twydell > wrote:
>> In message
>> >,
>> William Hung > writes

>> >Yeah, Peter's right and like Mortimer said, this place is great for
>> >learning about aviation.
>>
>> >Wil
>>
>> It's nice to know one's efforts are appreciated.
>
>I try to give credit where credit is due. :-)
>

>> I was able to put my pedant/nitpicker hat on here as a result of
>> converting the Airfix PBY-5A to a USN PBY-5 many years ago. Plugged the
>> wheel wells with balsa, smoothed over with a mixture of talc and clear
>> dope. Blue Gray/Light Gray camo with tail stripes and national insignia,
>> all hand painted.
>>

>What was the reasoning for the reversal?

It was a newly-released kit, and I wanted to do something other than the
standard all-white or greygreen/white RAF/RCAF colours. ISTR there was
no kit of the -5 at the time. I thought the USN colour scheme was cool.

There were two Cats at a show at Duxford a while back, when the Dutch
one from Lelystad came over. Quite a sight.

>> A share in the Catalina at Duxford was available for about GBP 17k last
>> year. Bit beyond my budget at the moment!
>> --
>> Peter
>>
>> Ying tong iddle-i po!- Hide quoted text -

>Think I came across that also, in barnstormer,com or maybe it was
>Ebay. The 17k was doable, the monthly upkeep wasn't. The fact that
>they were across the big pond didn't help.
>
>Wil

The only part I can do easily is access, as Duxford is only some 40
minutes' drive from here. Less if the roads are clear and I'm very
naughty...
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

jean christophe
December 31st 10, 09:10 PM
Morgans wrote :
My question are; are the gears controlled individually, are the
pontoons controlled separately, are the font and main gears controlled
separately also? If so, why?

Maybe it's a case of one gear (nose in this case) retracting before the others? I've
noticed many airplanes where each gear retracts at different rates, or one part of the
gear retracts before the others. I think it just has to do with how the hydraulics are
run and all that. Not sure about this case though.

Gears :
You are right.
It is a sequence, to lighten the burden of the pump :
1. Nose gear (283 lb),
2. (Right) main gear (747 lb),
3. (Left) main gear (747 lb).

You clearly see it on videos.

http://i67.servimg.com/u/f67/15/57/08/25/nl002110.jpg

Floats :
Both floats are actuated together by a single power gear box.

J-Chris.

Google