PDA

View Full Version : Engine monitors in singles vs. multiengine aircraft

Mxsmanic
February 23rd 08, 09:48 PM
Is there a particular reason why engine monitors would be useful in a
single-engine aircraft but not useful in a multiengine aircraft? I seem to
read about them only in connection with singles.

Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]
February 23rd 08, 10:11 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Is there a particular reason why engine monitors would be useful in a
> single-engine aircraft but not useful in a multiengine aircraft? I
> seem to read about them only in connection with singles.

You are an idiot

Bertie

Benjamin Dover
February 23rd 08, 10:14 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Is there a particular reason why engine monitors would be useful in a
> single-engine aircraft but not useful in a multiengine aircraft? I
> seem to read about them only in connection with singles.

You don't know **** from Shinola.

John[_13_]
February 23rd 08, 10:16 PM
Then you don't read enough
..
"Mxsmanic" > wrote in message
> Is there a particular reason why engine monitors would be useful in a
> single-engine aircraft but not useful in a multiengine aircraft? I seem
> read about them only in connection with singles.

Robert M. Gary
February 23rd 08, 10:18 PM
On Feb 23, 1:48*pm, Mxsmanic > wrote:
> Is there a particular reason why engine monitors would be useful in a
> single-engine aircraft but not useful in a multiengine aircraft? *I seem to
> read about them only in connection with singles.

What?????

February 24th 08, 12:25 AM

My god, you don't know **** from shinola.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Tina
February 24th 08, 01:47 PM
In the northern hemisphere they are most commonly usually used on
engines turning counterclockwise as seen from the front of the
aircraft on twins, and they are especially important above latitudes
35 degrees or so.

ref JIR 24, 137

..

..

On Feb 23, 4:48 pm, Mxsmanic > wrote:
> Is there a particular reason why engine monitors would be useful in a
> single-engine aircraft but not useful in a multiengine aircraft? I seem to
> read about them only in connection with singles.

Allen[_1_]
February 24th 08, 02:22 PM
--

"nobody" > wrote in message

> >Is there a particular reason why engine monitors would be useful in a
> >single-engine aircraft but not useful in a multiengine aircraft? I seem
> >read about them only in connection with singles.
>
> How long before MX posts that nobody knows the answer?

"You" didn't know the answer to this? Keep reading he will get to one you
know! :)

--
*H. Allen Smith*
WACO - We are all here, because we are not all there.

JB
February 25th 08, 06:40 PM
On Feb 23, 4:48*pm, Mxsmanic > wrote:
> Is there a particular reason why engine monitors would be useful in a
> single-engine aircraft but not useful in a multiengine aircraft? *I seem to
> read about them only in connection with singles.

The reason is that single engine aircraft, of course, have only one
engine. A multiengine aircraft has 2 or more engines. You would
either have to guess which engine to attach the monitor to, or install
a bank of switches to jump back and forth between monitoring the
various engines. I read somewhere that both configurations were
tried. Planes crashed because, inevitably, the monitor was always
attached to the engine that always worked fine (ha ha Murphy's Law) or
in the case of multiple switches, planes crashed because pilots became
disoriented flipping the switches or because they didn't keep both
hands on the wheel.

Engineers gave up so an engine monitor is no longer found on
multiengine aircraft.

--Jeff

Peter Clark
February 25th 08, 07:28 PM
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:40:35 -0800 (PST), JB > wrote:

>On Feb 23, 4:48*pm, Mxsmanic > wrote:
>> Is there a particular reason why engine monitors would be useful in a
>> single-engine aircraft but not useful in a multiengine aircraft? *I seem to
>> read about them only in connection with singles.
>
>The reason is that single engine aircraft, of course, have only one
>engine. A multiengine aircraft has 2 or more engines. You would
>either have to guess which engine to attach the monitor to, or install
>a bank of switches to jump back and forth between monitoring the
>various engines. I read somewhere that both configurations were
>tried. Planes crashed because, inevitably, the monitor was always
>attached to the engine that always worked fine (ha ha Murphy's Law) or
>in the case of multiple switches, planes crashed because pilots became
>disoriented flipping the switches or because they didn't keep both
>hands on the wheel.
>
>Engineers gave up so an engine monitor is no longer found on
>multiengine aircraft.

WTF?
http://www.jpinstruments.com/edm_twin.html

Please don't feed the troll.

Mxsmanic
February 25th 08, 07:42 PM
JB writes:

> The reason is that single engine aircraft, of course, have only one
> engine. A multiengine aircraft has 2 or more engines. You would
> either have to guess which engine to attach the monitor to, or install
> a bank of switches to jump back and forth between monitoring the
> various engines. I read somewhere that both configurations were
> tried. Planes crashed because, inevitably, the monitor was always
> attached to the engine that always worked fine (ha ha Murphy's Law) or
> in the case of multiple switches, planes crashed because pilots became
> disoriented flipping the switches or because they didn't keep both
> hands on the wheel.
>
> Engineers gave up so an engine monitor is no longer found on
> multiengine aircraft.

What about multiple monitors?

Robert M. Gary
February 25th 08, 07:48 PM
On Feb 25, 10:40*am, JB > wrote:
> On Feb 23, 4:48*pm, Mxsmanic > wrote:
>
> > Is there a particular reason why engine monitors would be useful in a
> > single-engine aircraft but not useful in a multiengine aircraft? *I seem to
> > read about them only in connection with singles.
>
> The reason is that single engine aircraft, of course, have only one
> engine. *A multiengine aircraft has 2 or more engines. *You would
> either have to guess which engine to attach the monitor to, or install
> a bank of switches to jump back and forth between monitoring the
> various engines. *I read somewhere that both configurations were
> tried. *

Uh, that's like saying you don't want to put a monitor on a 6 cylinder
engine because you'd have to decide which of the 4 cylinders to
monitor. There is an easier solution; buy the montior that is
appropriate for your aircraft and it handles it fine.

-Robert

Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]
February 25th 08, 07:54 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> What about multiple monitors?

There's limited desktop space in an airplane, fjukkktard

Bertie

JB
February 25th 08, 08:15 PM
On Feb 25, 2:48*pm, "Robert M. Gary" > wrote:
> On Feb 25, 10:40*am, JB > wrote:
>
> > On Feb 23, 4:48*pm, Mxsmanic > wrote:
>
> > > Is there a particular reason why engine monitors would be useful in a
> > > single-engine aircraft but not useful in a multiengine aircraft? *I seem to
> > > read about them only in connection with singles.
>
> > The reason is that single engine aircraft, of course, have only one
> > engine. *A multiengine aircraft has 2 or more engines. *You would
> > either have to guess which engine to attach the monitor to, or install
> > a bank of switches to jump back and forth between monitoring the
> > various engines. *I read somewhere that both configurations were
> > tried. *
>
> Uh, that's like saying you don't want to put a monitor on a 6 cylinder
> engine because you'd have to decide which of the 4 cylinders to
> monitor. *There is an easier solution; buy the montior that is
> appropriate for your aircraft and it handles it fine.
>
> -Robert

You know, I thought if I made my response SO outrageous and
ridiculous, no one ---and I mean NO ONE -- would think that I was
serious. (Except maybe MXS!) I WAS MAKING A SARCASTIC JOKE!!
<sheesh!>

--Jeff

Peter Clark
February 25th 08, 09:07 PM
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:15:03 -0800 (PST), JB > wrote:

>You know, I thought if I made my response SO outrageous and
>ridiculous, no one ---and I mean NO ONE -- would think that I was
>serious. (Except maybe MXS!) I WAS MAKING A SARCASTIC JOKE!!
><sheesh!>

I find that generally tone is unfortunately lost when translated to
print.

Besides, responding to it just keeps encouraging it. The longer we
keep feeding it the longer it will be before it goes away and the
place starts getting back to normal.

Google