PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Landing on I-70!

Darkwing
February 25th 08, 04:32 PM
This happend in my neck of the woods, amazing there wasn't a car crash or
something from rubber necking!

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080225/LOCAL/802250370

Orval Fairbairn[_2_]
February 25th 08, 05:50 PM
In article >,
"Darkwing" <theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com> wrote:

> This happend in my neck of the woods, amazing there wasn't a car crash or
> something from rubber necking!
>
> http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080225/LOCAL/802250370

Carburetor ice? From the picture, it looks as if there was a fair amount
of water vapor/fog in the air. IIRC, the temperature in that area was
ideal for carb ice formation.

Mike Proctor
February 25th 08, 06:17 PM
> Carburetor ice? From the picture, it looks as if there was a fair
amount
> of water vapor/fog in the air. IIRC, the temperature in that area was
> ideal for carb ice formation.

Yep, according to this article:

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/15395833/detail.html#

gatt[_2_]
February 25th 08, 06:25 PM
> http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080225/LOCAL/802250370

Well done, pilot!

Ron Lee[_2_]
February 25th 08, 07:27 PM
"gatt" > wrote:

>> http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080225/LOCAL/802250370
>
>Well done, pilot!

Depends. Did he do something stupid that caused the problem? In
that case he endangered himself and others. I am awaiting the full
story.

Ron Lee

Mxsmanic
February 25th 08, 07:56 PM
Ron Lee writes:

> Depends. Did he do something stupid that caused the problem? In
> that case he endangered himself and others. I am awaiting the full
> story.

Carb heat?

Benjamin Dover
February 25th 08, 08:34 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Ron Lee writes:
>
>> Depends. Did he do something stupid that caused the problem? In
>> that case he endangered himself and others. I am awaiting the full
>> story.
>
> Carb heat?

You don't know **** from Shinola.

Scott Skylane
February 25th 08, 09:37 PM
Mike Proctor wrote:
> > Carburetor ice? From the picture, it looks as if there was a fair amount
>
>> of water vapor/fog in the air. IIRC, the temperature in that area was
>> ideal for carb ice formation.
>>

> Yep, according to this article:
>
> http://www.theindychannel.com/news/15395833/detail.html#

Well, the article did cite "ice", but it wasn't carb ice, that's a fuel
injected motor. Perhaps ice crystals on a fuel screen, or maybe he iced
up the air filter, although the alternate air should have cured that.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]
February 25th 08, 09:46 PM
Mxsmanic > wrote in
:

> Ron Lee writes:
>
>> Depends. Did he do something stupid that caused the problem? In
>> that case he endangered himself and others. I am awaiting the full
>> story.
>
> Carb heat?

Yeah, the famous killer carb heat.

Bertie

Darkwing
February 25th 08, 10:12 PM
"Mike Proctor" > wrote in message
t...
> > Carburetor ice? From the picture, it looks as if there was a fair
> amount
>> of water vapor/fog in the air. IIRC, the temperature in that area was
>> ideal for carb ice formation.
>>

> Yep, according to this article:
>
> http://www.theindychannel.com/news/15395833/detail.html#

I hadn't heard what exactly the issue was, I was figuring the fuel lines
were contaminated with air but apparently not.

Darkwing
February 25th 08, 10:18 PM
"Darkwing" <theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This happend in my neck of the woods, amazing there wasn't a car crash or
> something from rubber necking!
>
> http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080225/LOCAL/802250370

Our local paper where this happened said, "A mechanic ultimately determined
that Suleman's carb had frozen because of an improper fuel mix."

As someone who has only flown fuel injected planes I have no idea is that
makes sense, sounds like the "Daily Reporter" got this wrong.

William Hung[_2_]
February 25th 08, 11:29 PM
On Feb 25, 5:18*pm, "Darkwing" <theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Darkwing" <theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > This happend in my neck of the woods, amazing there wasn't a car crash or
> > something from rubber necking!
>
> >http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080225/LOCAL/802....
>
> Our local paper where this happened said, "A mechanic ultimately determined
> that Suleman's carb had frozen because of an improper fuel mix."
>
> As someone who has only flown fuel injected planes I have no idea is that
> makes sense, sounds like the "Daily Reporter" got this wrong.

Improper fuel mix? That must be the old 1970 Piper two stroke that I
heard about.

Wil

Phil J
February 26th 08, 01:59 AM
On Feb 25, 4:18*pm, "Darkwing" <theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Darkwing" <theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > This happend in my neck of the woods, amazing there wasn't a car crash or
> > something from rubber necking!
>
> >http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080225/LOCAL/802....
>
> Our local paper where this happened said, "A mechanic ultimately determined
> that Suleman's carb had frozen because of an improper fuel mix."
>
> As someone who has only flown fuel injected planes I have no idea is that
> makes sense, sounds like the "Daily Reporter" got this wrong.

Improper mixture of fuel and water??

Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]
February 26th 08, 03:01 AM
Benjamin Dover > wrote in
:

> Mxsmanic > wrote in
> :
>
>> Ron Lee writes:
>>
>>> Depends. Did he do something stupid that caused the problem? In
>>> that case he endangered himself and others. I am awaiting the full
>>> story.
>>
>> Carb heat?
>

> You don't know **** from Shinola.

A bit of instruction for him.

http://www.pottymouth.org/humor/shinola.html

Bertie

Benjamin Dover
February 26th 08, 03:30 AM
Bertie the Bunyip > wrote in
:

> http://www.pottymouth.org/humor/shinola.html

Do you really think that will help Anthony? When he tries to think
real hard, he ends up winding his ass and scratching his watch.

Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]
February 26th 08, 04:22 AM
Benjamin Dover > wrote in
:

> Bertie the Bunyip > wrote in
> :
>
>> http://www.pottymouth.org/humor/shinola.html
>
> Do you really think that will help Anthony?

Couldn't hurt!

What could, let's face it..

When he tries to
> think
> real hard, he ends up winding his ass and scratching his watch.

Hehheh

Bertie

RST Engineering
February 26th 08, 03:36 PM
Seems to me that he was at 7000' over flatlands with an airport 7 miles away
(according to the newspaper, which we all know is right all the time).

Seems to me that 7 miles is gliding distance at this altitude, no?

Jim

Art Varrassi
February 26th 08, 03:50 PM
According to the article posted below, the pilot reported that he was at
7000 feet when the engine stopped and that "he couldn't possibly make it to
the nearest airport, Mount Comfort, which was about seven miles away". The
elevation of Mount Comfort is 811 ft. with a 3,850 ft. x 100 ft. runway.

Not to belittle his commendable job of putting the plane down safely, nor to
assume that I could do the same as easily, but it would seem to me that 7
miles from 7000 ft. would be within a reasonable gliding distance for most
GA aircraft, and to say that "he couldn't possibly make it" there doesn't
sound right to me. Even factoring in a delay to sort things out and make
some decisions and therefore starting a decent from 6000 ft. direct to an
airport 7 miles away would still seem more plausible to me than trying to
land on a highway during the day.

Anyone agree or disagree?

Art Varrassi
CP-ASEL

"Mike Proctor" > wrote in message
t...
> > Carburetor ice? From the picture, it looks as if there was a fair
> amount
>> of water vapor/fog in the air. IIRC, the temperature in that area was
>> ideal for carb ice formation.
>>

> Yep, according to this article:
>
> http://www.theindychannel.com/news/15395833/detail.html#

Art Varrassi
February 26th 08, 03:55 PM
Correction to my previous post: Mount Comfort's elevation is 862 ft. with a
5500 ft. x 100 ft. runway.

"Art Varrassi" > wrote in message
> According to the article posted below, the pilot reported that he was at
> 7000 feet when the engine stopped and that "he couldn't possibly make it
> to the nearest airport, Mount Comfort, which was about seven miles away".
> The elevation of Mount Comfort is 811 ft. with a 3,850 ft. x 100 ft.
> runway.
>
> Not to belittle his commendable job of putting the plane down safely, nor
> to assume that I could do the same as easily, but it would seem to me that
> 7 miles from 7000 ft. would be within a reasonable gliding distance for
> most GA aircraft, and to say that "he couldn't possibly make it" there
> doesn't sound right to me. Even factoring in a delay to sort things out
> and make some decisions and therefore starting a decent from 6000 ft.
> direct to an airport 7 miles away would still seem more plausible to me
> than trying to land on a highway during the day.
>
> Anyone agree or disagree?
>
> Art Varrassi
> CP-ASEL
>
> "Mike Proctor" > wrote in message
> t...
>> > Carburetor ice? From the picture, it looks as if there was a fair
>> amount
>>> of water vapor/fog in the air. IIRC, the temperature in that area was
>>> ideal for carb ice formation.
>>>

>> Yep, according to this article:
>>
>> http://www.theindychannel.com/news/15395833/detail.html#

Frank Stutzman[_2_]
February 26th 08, 03:56 PM
RST Engineering > wrote:
> Seems to me that he was at 7000' over flatlands with an airport 7 miles away
> (according to the newspaper, which we all know is right all the time).
>
> Seems to me that 7 miles is gliding distance at this altitude, no?

Does anybody know what the winds were?

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"