PDA

View Full Version : 700lbs?

wesleymarceaux[_2_]
February 26th 08, 03:50 PM
I know this will not do much for unbelievers, But I have no problem
believing that an 1835 engine with a belt reduction system would fly an
airplane with a takeoff weight of 1050lb's.. The performance didn't look to
be that bad either. I think a good 1835 vw engine with reduction can do
anything the rotax 912 ul can do. A direct drive vw engine is not a real go
getter in my book, but it sounds better than the two cycles..

oilsardine[_2_]
February 26th 08, 07:58 PM
"wesleymarceaux" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
..... I think a good 1835 vw engine with reduction can do
> anything the rotax 912 ul can do. .....

no, can't do. The 912's heads are water-cooled - you know?

cavelamb himself[_4_]
February 26th 08, 08:24 PM
oilsardine wrote:
> "wesleymarceaux" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> .... I think a good 1835 vw engine with reduction can do
>
>>anything the rotax 912 ul can do. .....
>

> no, can't do. The 912's heads are water-cooled - you know?

And can make 80 HP all day long.
The VW simply can not do that.

Morgans[_2_]
February 26th 08, 10:38 PM
"cavelamb himself" > wrote in message
> oilsardine wrote:
>> "wesleymarceaux" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> .... I think a good 1835 vw engine with reduction can do
>>
>>>anything the rotax 912 ul can do. .....
>>

>> no, can't do. The 912's heads are water-cooled - you know?
> And can make 80 HP all day long.
> The VW simply can not do that.

And the poster either is very inexperienced, or...

already knows full well that the VW can not do as well as the Rotax, (and
most of you know _my_ feelings about the Rotax brand) and is merely trolling
away...

Which do you vote for?
--
Jim in NC

February 26th 08, 11:05 PM

> Which do you vote for?

One of those :-)

I wish I had a nickel for every idiot with a 2180 who uses the 1300cc
Rotax as 'proof' that his POS puts out at least 150hp :-)

-R.S.Hoover

Bret Ludwig
March 18th 08, 02:37 AM
On Feb 26, 2:58 pm, "oilsardine" > wrote:
> "wesleymarceaux" > schrieb im ...
> .... I think a good 1835 vw engine with reduction can do
>
> > anything the rotax 912 ul can do. .....
>
> no, can't do. The 912's heads are water-cooled - you know?

With blower cooling and enough reduction gearing the VW would put out
80 hp. The pushrod 356 Porsche engines (a Type I mutant with stiffer
three piece crankcase) were a very honest 90 hp at less displacement
and the Porsche heads did not breathe as well as some of the current
aftermarket ones.

Still, if you want that bad of a museum piece why not buy a Lycoming
and get it over with?

Fred the Red Shirt
March 18th 08, 05:38 PM
On Feb 26, 11:50 am, "wesleymarceaux" >
wrote:
> I know this will not do much for unbelievers, But I have no problem
> believing that an 1835 engine with a belt reduction system would fly an
> airplane with a takeoff weight of 1050lb's.. The performance didn't look to
> be that bad either. I think a good 1835 vw engine with reduction can do
> anything the rotax 912 ul can do. A direct drive vw engine is not a real go
> getter in my book, but it sounds better than the two cycles..

Scheibe SF 25:

http://www.sailplanedirectory.com/PlaneDetails.cfm?planeID=102

It's a motorglider that actually uses a Limbaugh,
but a moptorglider is just an airplane iwth long wings
and aren't Limbaughs just modified VWs?

--

FF

jan olieslagers[_2_]
March 18th 08, 07:42 PM
Fred the Red Shirt schreef:
> It's a motorglider that actually uses a Limbaugh,
> but a moptorglider is just an airplane iwth long wings
> and aren't Limbaughs just modified VWs?

And US'ans are assholes who think they can actually
read and write if they know how to hit the on/off button.
There are no Limbaugh engines, though there does exist a Limbach make.
And there's neither moptorgliders iwth nor uotiwth inwgs
neither short nor long.
But yes a Limbach is a modified VW
just like a B747 is a modified 1903 Wright Flyer
(or was it a Rite Flier?)

Fred the Red Shirt
March 18th 08, 09:40 PM
On Mar 18, 3:42 pm, jan olieslagers >
wrote:
> Fred the Red Shirt schreef:
>
> > It's a motorglider that actually uses a Limbaugh,
> > but a moptorglider is just an airplane iwth long wings
> > and aren't Limbaughs just modified VWs?
>
> And US'ans are assholes who think they can actually
> read and write if they know how to hit the on/off button.
> There are no Limbaugh engines,
> though there does exist a Limbach make.

Oh sorry, I was confused with the spin machine of
similar name.

> And there's neither moptorgliders iwth nor uotiwth inwgs
> neither short nor long.

Huh?

> But yes a Limbach is a modified VW
> just like a B747 is a modified 1903 Wright Flyer
> (or was it a Rite Flier?)

Thanks for confirming.

--

FF