PDA

View Full Version : PBS Inside Oshkosh Air Show

Marco Leon[_5_]
February 28th 08, 06:07 PM
I don't think I saw anyone post this but apologies if I missed it.

There's a new PBS program on the behind-the-scenes workings of AirVenture
with a focus on the 2007 show. Quite interesting and well done IMO.

http://pressroom.pbs.org/programs/inside_season_2/air_show

It premiered on Feb 22nd so there should be some more airings depending on
your local PBS provider.

Marco

Jay Honeck[_2_]
February 28th 08, 06:17 PM
> There's a new PBS program on the behind-the-scenes workings of AirVenture
> with a focus on the 2007 show. Quite interesting and well done IMO.
>
> http://pressroom.pbs.org/programs/inside_season_2/air_show
>
> It premiered on Feb 22nd so there should be some more airings depending on
> your local PBS provider.

FYI: As I understand it, this show is only being aired on the HD PBS
stations. (I missed it on the 22nd, dang it.)

It sucks that only "registered media" can download the segments available on
that website. Sure am glad it's "Public" television...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

February 28th 08, 07:20 PM
On Feb 28, 1:17*pm, "Jay Honeck" > wrote:
> > There's a new PBS program on the behind-the-scenes workings of AirVenture
> > with a focus on the 2007 show. Quite interesting and well done IMO.
>
> >http://pressroom.pbs.org/programs/inside_season_2/air_show
>
> > It premiered on Feb 22nd so there should be some more airings depending on
> > your local PBS provider.
>
> FYI: As I understand it, this show is only being aired on the HD PBS
> stations. *(I missed it on the 22nd, dang it.)
>
> It sucks that only "registered media" can download the segments available on
> that website. *Sure am glad it's "Public" television...
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Jay,

I recorded it off the HD PBS channel to DVD. If you're interested, I
can make a copy and send it to you (even if our political views may
differ. :o) It is definitely worth a watch. Email me at
pfalconflyer...at....yahoo....dot....com with your mailing address if
interested.

-Pat

gatt[_2_]
February 28th 08, 09:38 PM
"Marco Leon" > wrote in message
>I don't think I saw anyone post this but apologies if I missed it.
>
> There's a new PBS program on the behind-the-scenes workings of AirVenture
> with a focus on the 2007 show. Quite interesting and well done IMO.
>
> http://pressroom.pbs.org/programs/inside_season_2/air_show

Hey, guys, I'm curious about this bit:

"Viewers get an insider's perspective when INSIDE flies along with the world's
best aerobatic pilots as they twist and tumble through the sky, and follow a
father and son crew as they fly their restored P-51 Mustang on its maiden
voyage to Oshkosh after a 14-year restoration..."

I'm not sure which one they're talking about, but I hope it doesn't turn
into those "Wait...WHAT?!" moments like the one about the B-29 restoration
in Greenland.

-c

February 29th 08, 12:18 AM
On Feb 28, 11:17*am, "Jay Honeck" > wrote:
> > There's a new PBS program on the behind-the-scenes workings of AirVenture
> > with a focus on the 2007 show. Quite interesting and well done IMO.
>
> >http://pressroom.pbs.org/programs/inside_season_2/air_show
>
> > It premiered on Feb 22nd so there should be some more airings depending on
> > your local PBS provider.
>
> FYI: As I understand it, this show is only being aired on the HD PBS
> stations. *(I missed it on the 22nd, dang it.)
>
> It sucks that only "registered media" can download the segments available on
> that website. *Sure am glad it's "Public" television...
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Yeah.. I know the feeling of public broadcasting being very selective
with their programming. Back years ago when I was selling C band
satellite dishes, PBS was one of the first to switch to VC-2
scrambling. All of us in the industry couldn't believe those idiots
would even try it,, but they did. And they used public tax dollars
from an Arts grant to buy the equipment , and then they wouldn't even
sell the programming to the public. Only in America. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. if that guy does burn you a CD can I get a copy too....

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com

AJ
February 29th 08, 02:12 AM
On Feb 28, 7:18 pm, " > wrote:
> On Feb 28, 11:17 am, "Jay Honeck" > wrote:
>

> > > There's a new PBS program on the behind-the-scenes workings of AirVenture
> > > with a focus on the 2007 show. Quite interesting and well done IMO.
>
> > >http://pressroom.pbs.org/programs/inside_season_2/air_show
>
> > > It premiered on Feb 22nd so there should be some more airings depending on
> > > your local PBS provider.
>
> > FYI: As I understand it, this show is only being aired on the HD PBS
> > stations. (I missed it on the 22nd, dang it.)
>
> > It sucks that only "registered media" can download the segments available on
> > that website. Sure am glad it's "Public" television...
> > --
> > Jay Honeck
> > Iowa City, IA
> > Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
> > "Your Aviation Destination"
>
> Yeah.. I know the feeling of public broadcasting being very selective
> with their programming. Back years ago when I was selling C band
> satellite dishes, PBS was one of the first to switch to VC-2
> scrambling. All of us in the industry couldn't believe those idiots
> would even try it,, but they did. And they used public tax dollars
> from an Arts grant to buy the equipment , and then they wouldn't even
> sell the programming to the public. Only in America. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> PS. if that guy does burn you a CD can I get a copy too....
>
> Benwww.haaspowerair.com

Me, too, please?
AJ

February 29th 08, 02:48 PM
On Feb 28, 4:38*pm, "gatt" > wrote:
> "Marco Leon" > wrote in message

> >I don't think I saw anyone post this but apologies if I missed it.
>
> > There's a new PBS program on the behind-the-scenes workings of AirVenture
> > with a focus on the 2007 show. Quite interesting and well done IMO.
>
> >http://pressroom.pbs.org/programs/inside_season_2/air_show
>
> Hey, guys, I'm curious about this bit:
>
> "Viewers get an insider's perspective when INSIDE flies along with the world's
> best aerobatic pilots as they twist and tumble through the sky, and follow a
> father and son crew as they fly their restored P-51 Mustang on its maiden
> voyage to Oshkosh after a 14-year restoration..."
>
> I'm not sure which one they're talking about, but I hope it doesn't turn
> into those "Wait...WHAT?!" moments like the one about the B-29 restoration
> in Greenland.
>
> -c

No it doesn't... The P-51 that the show focuses on has a successful
trip to/from the show. But the fatal P-51 landing incident involving
2 aircraft is covered in the show (with video of the crash).

Marco Leon[_5_]
February 29th 08, 03:28 PM
"AJ" > wrote in message

>> PS. if that guy does burn you a CD can I get a copy too....

Maybe Jay can convert it to a smaller size and post it in the video section
on his website. Jay? If you don't have the software, maybe I can capture it
from my Cable DVR and do it for you but that may take time (for me to FIND
the time that is!).

Marco

gatt[_2_]
February 29th 08, 10:34 PM
> wrote in message

>> I'm not sure which one they're talking about, but I hope it doesn't turn
>> into those "Wait...WHAT?!" moments like the one about the B-29
>> restoration
>> in Greenland.

>No it doesn't... The P-51 that the show focuses on has a successful
>trip to/from the show. But the fatal P-51 landing incident involving
>2 aircraft is covered in the show (with video of the crash).

Thanks. I'm keeping an eye out for the show on local PBS. (And harrassing
them to re-air Piece of Cake)

Jay Honeck[_2_]
March 1st 08, 05:00 AM
> Maybe Jay can convert it to a smaller size and post it in the video
> section on his website. Jay? If you don't have the software, maybe I can
> capture it from my Cable DVR and do it for you but that may take time (for
> me to FIND the time that is!).

Dang, Marco -- that would be a mighty huge download. Jav has been a good
egg about hosting our website, but we're approaching a terabyte of videos
already. At some point he's going to say "Enough!".

How small can you shrink a 1-hour (or is it 30 minute?) show without losing
too much clarity?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Marco Leon[_5_]
March 4th 08, 05:23 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
>> Maybe Jay can convert it to a smaller size and post it in the video
>> section on his website. Jay? If you don't have the software, maybe I can
>> capture it from my Cable DVR and do it for you but that may take time
>> (for me to FIND the time that is!).
>
> Dang, Marco -- that would be a mighty huge download. Jav has been a good
> egg about hosting our website, but we're approaching a terabyte of videos
> already. At some point he's going to say "Enough!".
>
> How small can you shrink a 1-hour (or is it 30 minute?) show without
> losing too much clarity?

Tried it last night at a couple of different settings. Best I could do was
around 100MB. That's probably too big for your borrowed bandwidth.

Were you able to catch the episode yet Jay?

Marco

March 4th 08, 08:30 PM
On Mar 4, 12:23*pm, "Marco Leon" > wrote:
> "Jay Honeck" > wrote in message

> >> Maybe Jay can convert it to a smaller size and post it in the video
> >> section on his website. Jay? If you don't have the software, maybe I can
> >> capture it from my Cable DVR and do it for you but that may take time
> >> (for me to FIND the time that is!).
>
> > Dang, Marco -- that would be a mighty huge download. *Jav has been a good
> > egg about hosting our website, but we're approaching a terabyte of videos
> > already. *At some point he's going to say "Enough!".
>
> > How small can you shrink a 1-hour (or is it 30 minute?) show without
> > losing too much clarity?
>
> Tried it last night at a couple of different settings. Best I could do was
> around 100MB. That's probably too big for your borrowed bandwidth.
>
> Were you able to catch the episode yet Jay?
>
> Marco

Jay doesn't need to catch the episode. I'm sending him a copy on
DVD. I was supposed to send it out before today, but I've been really
busy. Jay, if you are seeing this, the DVD should be in the mail
either Wed or Thurs. Sorry for the delay.

Jay Honeck[_2_]
March 8th 08, 04:45 AM
> Tried it last night at a couple of different settings. Best I could do was
> around 100MB. That's probably too big for your borrowed bandwidth.

Yeah, I think ol' Jav -- a real prince of a guy -- would even balk at THAT.
Still, it's an impressive shrink-job. Was it viewable at that size?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Marco Leon[_5_]
March 24th 08, 07:30 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
>> Tried it last night at a couple of different settings. Best I could do
>> was around 100MB. That's probably too big for your borrowed bandwidth.
>
> Yeah, I think ol' Jav -- a real prince of a guy -- would even balk at
> THAT. Still, it's an impressive shrink-job. Was it viewable at that size?

It was viewable but many folks would probably not sit through the whole
episode (would get tired of squinting).

Google