PDA

View Full Version : CAP tsunami warning planes

gatt[_2_]
March 3rd 08, 06:24 PM
"BROOKINGS, Ore. (AP) - Oregon Civil Air Patrol planes equipped with
loudspeakers will help warn coastal residents if a tsunami heads their way."
http://www.katu.com/news/local/16165347.html

"Okay...a tsunami's coming. Just need to run out to the airport, preflight,
taxi, depart and get over the coast in time." The worst tsunamis to hit
the Oregon coast would come from the faultline offshore, and would probably
give 12-20 minutes of warning at max. Every time the tsunami horns go
off, the fire department in Cannon Beach has to go tell people to get the
hell off the beach. ...tourists actually, honestly, rush down to the
beach to watch the tsunami. Others flood 911 to find out if it's real,
or to report that they're stuck in traffic.

Oh, well. Looks good for the CAP.

- c

March 3rd 08, 07:58 PM
On Mar 3, 11:24 am, "gatt" > wrote:
> "BROOKINGS, Ore. (AP) - Oregon Civil Air Patrol planes equipped with
> loudspeakers will help warn coastal residents if a tsunami heads their way."http://www.katu.com/news/local/16165347.html
>
> "Okay...a tsunami's coming. Just need to run out to the airport, preflight,
> taxi, depart and get over the coast in time." The worst tsunamis to hit
> the Oregon coast would come from the faultline offshore, and would probably
> give 12-20 minutes of warning at max. Every time the tsunami horns go
> off, the fire department in Cannon Beach has to go tell people to get the
> hell off the beach. ...tourists actually, honestly, rush down to the
> beach to watch the tsunami. Others flood 911 to find out if it's real,
> or to report that they're stuck in traffic.
>
> Oh, well. Looks good for the CAP.
>
> - c

I can just imagine the number of midair collisions during or
after a tsunami on one of our coasts. All the gawkers out to take a
look, none of them looking for other traffic.

Dan

C J Campbell[_1_]
March 3rd 08, 11:47 PM
On 2008-03-03 10:24:31 -0800, "gatt" > said:

> "BROOKINGS, Ore. (AP) - Oregon Civil Air Patrol planes equipped with
> loudspeakers will help warn coastal residents if a tsunami heads their way."
> http://www.katu.com/news/local/16165347.html
>

> "Okay...a tsunami's coming. Just need to run out to the airport, preflight,
> taxi, depart and get over the coast in time." The worst tsunamis to hit
> the Oregon coast would come from the faultline offshore, and would probably
> give 12-20 minutes of warning at max. Every time the tsunami horns go
> off, the fire department in Cannon Beach has to go tell people to get the
> hell off the beach. ...tourists actually, honestly, rush down to the
> beach to watch the tsunami. Others flood 911 to find out if it's real,
> or to report that they're stuck in traffic.
>
> Oh, well. Looks good for the CAP.
>
> - c

Out here we have tsunami evacuation routes and volcano evacuation
routes. If Mt. Rainier erupts, several cubic miles of melted glacier
water and gravel will head for Puyallup and Tacoma at speeds in excess
of 120 mph. My take on these evacuation routes is they will be clogged
by dead people and destroyed vehicles. The last thought going through
the head of these people will be, "What is that horn noise? And that
rumbling?" Same for the tsunami evacuation routes.

If we had a tsunami out here on Hood Canal I would not know about it
until after I was dead. The channel is only a couple miles wide and the
most likely cause of a tsunami would be a gigantic landslide on the
other side of the Canal. It would take only a few seconds for the wave
to cross the Canal. I would never know what hit me. If the landslide
was on this side, I wouldn't have to wait for the tsunami to kill me.

In fact, we still have some neighbors missing after the last landslide
on Dec. 3.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

gatt[_2_]
March 4th 08, 01:35 AM
"C J Campbell" > wrote in message

>> Oh, well. Looks good for the CAP.
>>
> Out here we have tsunami evacuation routes and volcano evacuation routes.
> If Mt. Rainier erupts, s

....you guys are screwed. That would definately shut down a few Starbucks.

> If we had a tsunami out here on Hood Canal I would not know about it
> until after I was dead.

I don't know if one would make it up the Columbia as far as Portland, but,
it's interesting sitting around listening to people grumble about how "those
people in New Orleans should have known better." (Gulfport might have
known better, I suppose, given Camille.)

> In fact, we still have some neighbors missing after the last landslide on
> Dec. 3.

Yuck. We had a similar episode many years ago just south of Troutdale
Airport where a log took out a house and killed one of the occupants.
Unfortunately, some developer snapped up the property, built a new home and
I wonder if they bothered to reveal to the new owner the reason for the gap
along the road there on both sides of their new house.

-c

JGalban via AviationKB.com
March 4th 08, 07:04 PM
gatt wrote:

>Oh, well. Looks good for the CAP.

It's true that it wouldn't help much in the worst case (earthquake right
off the coast). On the other hand, the more common sources of a tsunami
would be earthquakes or landslides on the other side of the Pacific. With
the pacific tsunami warning system in place, that could give you more than an
hour of lead time.

John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

March 4th 08, 07:40 PM
On Mar 4, 12:04 pm, "JGalban via AviationKB.com" <u32749@uwe> wrote:
> gatt wrote:
>
> >Oh, well. Looks good for the CAP.
>
> It's true that it wouldn't help much in the worst case (earthquake right
> off the coast). On the other hand, the more common sources of a tsunami
> would be earthquakes or landslides on the other side of the Pacific. With
> the pacific tsunami warning system in place, that could give you more than an
> hour of lead time.
>
> John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)
>
> --

I read somewhere, in fact in several places, that some low-
lying valleys in California used to be inlets. Now they're deserts.
The Indians have stories about ships coming up those inlets long ago.
So, if this is true, and if they're now dry, the land has risen some.
Quite a bit, maybe. What sort of tensions are building in the area to
raise that land, if any, and what sort of shaking will happen if it
lets go suddenly? And what will the ocean do when that happens?
Might be irrelevant for Californians since the earthquake
would do so much damage, but that wave sure would make a mess
elsewhere on the West Coast.

Dan

Dan

C J Campbell[_1_]
March 5th 08, 02:45 PM
On 2008-03-04 11:40:24 -0800, said:

> On Mar 4, 12:04 pm, "JGalban via AviationKB.com" <u32749@uwe> wrote:
>> gatt wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, well. Looks good for the CAP.
>>
>> It's true that it wouldn't help much in the worst case (earthquake right
>> off the coast). On the other hand, the more common sources of a tsunami
>> would be earthquakes or landslides on the other side of the Pacific. With
>> the pacific tsunami warning system in place, that could give you more than an
>> hour of lead time.
>>
>> John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)
>>
>> --
>
> I read somewhere, in fact in several places, that some low-
> lying valleys in California used to be inlets. Now they're deserts.
> The Indians have stories about ships coming up those inlets long ago.
> So, if this is true, and if they're now dry, the land has risen some.
> Quite a bit, maybe. What sort of tensions are building in the area to
> raise that land, if any, and what sort of shaking will happen if it
> lets go suddenly? And what will the ocean do when that happens?
> Might be irrelevant for Californians since the earthquake
> would do so much damage, but that wave sure would make a mess
> elsewhere on the West Coast.
>
> Dan
>
> Dan

Check out the history of Salton Sea if you want to know what happens.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Google