PDA

View Full Version : ICOM A210

March 6th 08, 08:44 PM
I have an ICOM A210 installed in a Sanka helicopter. The features of
the radio are excellent, but the real reason why this radio is
installed is because I was hoping that like the A200, you could scroll
through the memory channels with a yoke button and then with another
button flip-flop between the active and standby frequencies.

What happens is that as long as the intercom is disabled, I can switch
the memory mode on or off (without scrolling through the frequencies
programmed in the memory) with one button, and the other flip-flops
the active and standby frequencies. When the intercom is switched on,
both buttons then act as flip-flop buttons. I have checked the wiring
connections thoroughly and gone through the entire menu programming
and it seems that this capability is now lost on this model.

For flying helicopters it is really useful to change frequencies
without having to take your hands off the cylic and collective. If
anyone has an answer for this I would be really grateful as the
factory does not seem to be concerned with customer queries.

Stuart & Kathryn Fields
March 6th 08, 08:56 PM
> wrote in message
>I have an ICOM A210 installed in a Sanka helicopter. The features of
> the radio are excellent, but the real reason why this radio is
> installed is because I was hoping that like the A200, you could scroll
> through the memory channels with a yoke button and then with another
> button flip-flop between the active and standby frequencies.
>
> What happens is that as long as the intercom is disabled, I can switch
> the memory mode on or off (without scrolling through the frequencies
> programmed in the memory) with one button, and the other flip-flops
> the active and standby frequencies. When the intercom is switched on,
> both buttons then act as flip-flop buttons. I have checked the wiring
> connections thoroughly and gone through the entire menu programming
> and it seems that this capability is now lost on this model.
>
> For flying helicopters it is really useful to change frequencies
> without having to take your hands off the cylic and collective. If
> anyone has an answer for this I would be really grateful as the
> factory does not seem to be concerned with customer queries.

I have a MicroAir that if I leave it in the memory mode my toggle will go
thru what ever frequencies that I have stored. I typically put about 5
frequencies in memory and then can scroll thru them with the toggle button.
This gives me just a PTT and the toggle button to fuss with. I do have to
watch that I don't get the 121.5 emergency freq which has a permanent
position in memory.
--
Stuart & Kathryn Fields, Publishers
Experimental Helo magazine

Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]
March 6th 08, 09:49 PM
wrote:
> I have an ICOM A210 installed in a Sanka helicopter. The features of
> the radio are excellent, but the real reason why this radio is
> installed is because I was hoping that like the A200, you could scroll
> through the memory channels with a yoke button and then with another
> button flip-flop between the active and standby frequencies.
>
> What happens is that as long as the intercom is disabled, I can switch
> the memory mode on or off (without scrolling through the frequencies
> programmed in the memory) with one button, and the other flip-flops
> the active and standby frequencies. When the intercom is switched on,
> both buttons then act as flip-flop buttons. I have checked the wiring
> connections thoroughly and gone through the entire menu programming
> and it seems that this capability is now lost on this model.
>
> For flying helicopters it is really useful to change frequencies
> without having to take your hands off the cylic and collective. If
> anyone has an answer for this I would be really grateful as the
> factory does not seem to be concerned with customer queries.

I am considering getting an A210 so I spent some time looking at the
installation manual. It is pretty complex wiring so there is a chance
that it might not be wired correctly.

http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/avionics/panelmount/a210/specifications.aspx

Larry D. Cosby
March 7th 08, 03:52 AM
>> What happens is that as long as the intercom is disabled, I can switch
>> the memory mode on or off (without scrolling through the frequencies
>> programmed in the memory) with one button, and the other flip-flops
>> the active and standby frequencies. When the intercom is switched on,
>> both buttons then act as flip-flop buttons. I have checked the wiring
>> connections thoroughly and gone through the entire menu programming
>> and it seems that this capability is now lost on this model.

This feature is only active if you are using the molex connector of the
radio. Does your setup use the Molex or S-sub connector? Installation manual
states that if usuing S-sub connector that either intercom or yoke mounted
channel/frequency exchange switch can only be installed. Both CAN NOT be
installed at the same time.

Larry

Google